PDA

View Full Version : A ship's vulerable spot

RPMcMurphy
11-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Just a quick question;
In FMB I put the Akagi with no planes on board and no AA guns shooting.
I loaded my Corsair with three 1000 pounders.
It was a cheat/training mission so I could teach myself how to sink this ship.

Here are discriptions of my attempts:

I dive bombed from 1000 meters and released all 3 bombs with a 3 sec delay. I hit the aft-end of the deck; right next to the control tower; the front end of the deck. None of these hits sunk the ship.
I then dropped down to about 15 meters and approaching from the side I slammed the bombs, at about the water-line, into each side astern, middle and bow. No sinking. I then hit it right smack in the rear where the rudder and screws are.
Still no sinking.
I hit it approaching low from the front and the bombs went under the deck and into that area. No sinking.
The hits did alot of damage but never sunk it. In all I hit the carrier 11 times.
I wonder if there's a spot where they store all the ordinace and if I hit that place its kablooey, I just could'nt find it.

Monterey13
11-29-2008, 06:43 PM
You musta had a glitch. I get that sometimes, and nothing will sink it.

The bow is usually the weakest point.

3 1000 lbers on the flight deck will sink it.

RPMcMurphy
11-29-2008, 06:48 PM
I messed it up pretty good, but it would never stop or sink. I even landed on it once just to see if the black explosion marks on the deck would crash me but they didnt.

Saburo_0
11-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Dont you have to set delay to zero when attacking ships?

general_kalle
11-29-2008, 09:06 PM
thought that was fixed in 4.08 or something like that.

Antisub
11-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Definately sounds like you had a glitch of some kind if you couldn't ever sink it.

A point to know, in FMB you can set ship skill level to rookie,, veteran, ace. This will also affect what it takes to sink the ship, though not to the degree you seem to be experiencing. Think of it as the skill level of the Damage Control parties to repair ship damage.

staticline1
11-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Like everyone else said its a glitch, happens from time to time like most software programs. I had one about a year ago when flying the Corsair on the Crimea map. Wasn't paying attention when straffing the ships and came in way too fast, hit the water, skipped off it nailed one of the destroyers and flipped in the air a couple of times only to somehow gain control. I sat there wondering just WTF just happened and started laughing. Wish I remembered to save the track before I reformated a few weeks back it was a sight to watch. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

RPMcMurphy
11-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks guys.
I'll go give it another try, and maybe have a screenie of the results.

KG26_Alpha
11-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Antisub:
Definately sounds like you had a glitch of some kind if you couldn't ever sink it.

A point to know, in FMB you can set ship skill level to rookie,, veteran, ace. This will also affect what it takes to sink the ship, though not to the degree you seem to be experiencing. Think of it as the skill level of the Damage Control parties to repair ship damage.

Have you tested this ?

Damage modelling linked to skill level of gunners ??????

WTE_Galway
11-30-2008, 04:20 PM
I was under the impression the damage model for larger ships involved separate sections and more than one needed to be destroyed to sink the vessel.

Divine-Wind
11-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by KG26_Alpha:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Antisub:

Have you tested this ?

Damage modelling linked to skill level of gunners ?????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe it's not so much damage modelling as it is simulated damage control, as antisub said?

Well actually I guess one way to simualate that would be to adjust the damage modelling.

Antisub
11-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Yes, ships are divided into compartments to spread out the damage, but enough damage into one section will sink it.

Yes, I tested it or I wouldn't have posted.

In FMB set up a line of 4 of the same exact ship (I was testing Japenese ships at the time and used all their destroyer types). Set each ship to a different skill level. Set an air start. I used an SBD and a single bomb and skip bombed broadside. Start at the rookie end of the line, see how many it takes to sink it, always hitting the same spot (bow or middle or stern) if you need multiple runs.

There will be a difference. If you use a really big bomb, you may be able to sink several akill levels with the same loadout, so if you test I recommend you use a little bomb. If you use a multi-bomb loadout and one or more don't hit, the results will be skewed. Take notes, so you can document the difference.

ElAurens
11-30-2008, 05:24 PM
The Japanese 800kg. bomb as carried by the "Betty" will sink any carrier in the game with one hit. Drop it squarely in the center of the flight deck and the ship is toast.

Divine-Wind
11-30-2008, 05:29 PM
FAB-5000? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Crikey2008
11-30-2008, 08:11 PM
check to see if you put the ship in shallow water where it won't sink no matter how many bombs you put on it. If you did then you're as stupid as me.

JtD
11-30-2008, 08:53 PM
In general, skip bombing is more effective than dropping bombs on a deck.

Focusing on a single hit location is effective.

Bow and stern areas are sometimes more vulnerable than the midship section.

The damage model in game is very simple and there is no really vulnerable spot.

1000lbs is only 454 kg and carriers could take a few of these in real life.

RPMcMurphy
12-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Okay, the advice here did work, but I had to use a 2000 pounder with two-1000 pounders.

Ready for launch
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo71/11072008/sc7-1.jpg
Struggling with all that wieght
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo71/11072008/sc8-1.jpg
Release
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo71/11072008/sc1-1.jpg
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo71/11072008/sc2-1.jpg
Fatal hit
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo71/11072008/sc3-2-1.jpg
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo71/11072008/sc5-1.jpg
RTB
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo71/11072008/sc6-2-1.jpg

Deedsundone
12-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Saburo_0:
Dont you have to set delay to zero when attacking ships?

I think that´s the problem.Tried a run with and without delay and the one without delay sunk the ship.The delayed one just exploded without damage.

Divine-Wind
12-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Well it's not like the delayed bomb has anyplace to go. It either sinks or hits the ship, and I don't think bombs can penetrate? ships. Eh, maybe bury themselves is a better way of putting it.

-HH- Beebop
12-06-2008, 10:59 AM
A delayed bomb essentially bounces off the hull and becomes a depth charge cuasing no damage.

I also found this on ship sinking from an old post by Zues-cat:

I have seen people explain that ship damage (for large ships) is broken down into three boxes - bow, mid-ships, stern. It takes a certain number of hits in at least two of the boxes to sink the ship (or something like that).

The AAA guns can be destroyed one at a time by guns or bombs. They do not count against sinking-type damage.

RPMcMurphy
12-06-2008, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by -HH- Beebop:
A delayed bomb essentially bounces off the hull and becomes a depth charge cuasing no damage.
[QUOTE]

I had a 3 second delay on my bombs in that screen shot and they sunk the carrier, but I had to try several times. Sometimes it wouldnt sink. But, I just have the 1946 game installed with no patches or anything. I geuss I should start the patching process.

JtD
12-06-2008, 12:47 PM
It was like ages ago that bombs with delay would not cause damage to a ship. Now there is no or maybe very little difference between delay and no delay.

Ships have multiple hit boxes in the superstructure, you can put tens of tons into the funnel or bridge on a ship without sinking it. So make sure you hit the hull, as close as possible to the waterline.

FYI, in real life bomb fuses would go off at contact with water, so you had to use delay. And unlike in the sim, heavy bombs could go right through a not so well armored ship. So the size of the bomb and the bomb delay were a bit tricky to tune.

Also large bombs exploding somewhere near and below the ship will do a lot of damage, so if they were sinking after contact with the hull it wouldn't be that bad. For a battleship or carrier sized ship, damaged would probably increase within the first two seconds of bomb sinking.

na85
12-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by -HH- Beebop:

That might have been true in earlier versions but just yesterday I was flying a mission and sunk some Japanse destroyers with 500-pounders set to 1.3 seconds delay by skipping them into the side of the ship.

I think it's just poor bomb modeling, similar to how you can drop a bomb with a 10 second delay onto an airborne TB3. You can fly away, counting to 10, and all of a sudden KABOOM! Doesn't matter if the victim goes inverted, etc. The bomb just sticks to it like velcro.