View Full Version : another node of noloben

darkcity2005
06-27-2005, 05:01 PM
anyone see this?

http://ftp.ubi.com/us/games/mystv/media/Nolo320_.mov

JustBrett
06-27-2005, 06:41 PM
Wow, good find! Thanks.

I see that directory also contains a couple of new video clips of Rand answering questions, both with the same date as the Noloben node.

Mowog
06-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Regarding the questions, Rand does seem to hint that "End of Ages" will wrap up the story as far as it concerns Atrus and his family. Interesting, that's pretty much what I expected.

Thanks for the links!

Boyue65
06-28-2005, 09:55 PM
After watching the interviews, I'd have to say that Rand has planned to wrap up more than just one portion of Myst; we may see the abandonment of the D'ni restoration here.

On another note, Rand also seems to be at a loss to explain why he's got such great fans. It occurs to me that perhaps he's not been pleased with the recent games to come out of Cyan Worlds. I could understand why he'd think that, but not agree with him -- in my eyes, they're incredible.

Perhaps I, as a fairly casual fan, can explain things to you, Rand: Myst, and the surrounding products, are games that are completely different from anything else ever created. In the Myst series, there doesn't have to be any fear of failure or the concept of reaching a point of no advancement. These things simply don't happen in Myst, save for actually beating the game. There's also a well-maintained sense of actual exploration; the idea that the player as a person is seeing things never before witnessed and interacting with a civilization never before encountered. That's the genius of the D'ni; they are a fairly complete race, with even their own way of telling time, and all of the little things that compose their culture have been worked into the game as various parts of puzzles. And that's the genius of the Myst series, and also the gripping tragedy that gives it legs: we as players know that it doesn't and didn't have to be this way, but it is, and we're in a way not only the first explorers but also by extention the last survivors of this catastrophe.

JustBrett
06-29-2005, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Boyue65:
After watching the interviews, I'd have to say that Rand has planned to wrap up more than just one portion of Myst; we may see the abandonment of the D'ni restoration here.
I thought the idea of M5 was to complete the restoration, which is not quite the same thing as abandoning it.

Alahmnat
06-29-2005, 02:04 AM
On another note, Rand also seems to be at a loss to explain why he's got such great fans. It occurs to me that perhaps he's not been pleased with the recent games to come out of Cyan Worlds. I could understand why he'd think that, but not agree with him -- in my eyes, they're incredible.
I think a lot of creative people are at a loss to explain why so many people like what that person (or group of persons) does. That these games attract the sort of people that are - dare I say - coveted by authors and filmmakers as fans is probably not helping much http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Boyue65
06-30-2005, 02:15 AM
In this case, JustBrett, I'd be the first to ask you to define completion as related to the restoration.

NOTE: The above was to prove a point. It was not intended to be snippy or offensive in any way.

Atrus's last vision of the restoration of D'ni was to create an entirely new age in Releeshahn for the people to inhabit. They seem to have done so as far as we can tell, but it seems Yeesha has not had a similar idea -- that, or something terrible happened in Releeshahn. That, however, I doubt very much. Too many good shepherds over that flock.

To Alahmnat: I follow your logic. If only the Myst series was as well financed as the movies you brought up.

JustBrett
06-30-2005, 10:41 AM
I'd be the first to ask you to define completion as related to the restoration.
I would define it as the existence of a permanent, thriving new culture living in the Cavern, as opposed to a collection of visitors wandering around searching for "truth" (the Called) or trying to rebuild it as a museum (the DRC). That seems to be what Yeesha was aiming for in Uru. We don't know exactly who she intended to have a role in the new culture, though. The Bahro, certainly, and probably the Called. There are hints in the Words of the Watcher that the Releeshahnites would also be involved, since it would hardly be a new D'ni without any D'ni in it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NOTE: The above was to prove a point. It was not intended to be snippy or offensive in any way.
No offense taken.

Atrus's last vision of the restoration of D'ni was to create an entirely new age in Releeshahn for the people to inhabit.
Yes, in Atrus's vision the restoration of the Cavern was to be abandoned rather than completed. And starting a new society in Releeshahn does seem to have worked. So, I've never understood why Yeesha considers herself as taking on her father's burden, since he seems to have lifted it himself.

But, from what we've heard of Myst V, we are still going to be pursuing Yeesha's vision rather than Atrus's. According to the original announcement of the game, "Players are presented the privilege, challenge and responsibility of restoring the lost empire of the D'ni."

So, I would assume that one ending of the game (the "good" ending?) will result in "completion" on Yeesha's terms. You could argue, of course, that the optimal ending would be to return to Atrus's vision and once again abandon the Cavern. We have no idea yet of what competing vision Esher will offer.

Boyue65
07-01-2005, 09:46 PM
After having you explain your points, JustBrett, I'm going to have to agree with you, save for one point: they don't necessarily have to live in the Cavern. It could work, I grant you, but it's not necessary. This is something of a nitpick point, though.

I disagree that Yeesha's vision is the right future for the D'ni as a whole. I think that some of what she says is useful and ideal, and some is not. Given that she is who she is, it is likely that Esher will be on the opposite end of things, and that the ideal solution will be a middle ground between her neo-Yahvo belief systems and the more practical but stultifying classical D'ni caste system.

On another note: you think Rand would take it better if someone told him directly what it means? The guy lives an hour away from me, I could pay him a visit.

CosmicFawn
07-11-2005, 12:11 PM
You bring up a really interesting thought process there, JustBrett. It makes me wonder though if it would be possible to have 2 "good" endings. For an example, why should Yeesha's vision of a D'ni restored to their place in the cavern be the only good option? Why not have that be good option 1 and have Esher with a vision of something else that would also be "good" that we may prefer to Yeesha's option.

I mention this because to be honest I don't think Yeesha's vision is a pure and selfless as she would like us to think, I think she's been slightly corrupted by her abilities and I wouldn't see moving the D'n back into the cavern as the "good" or "right" ending.