PDA

View Full Version : Sport Gliders 1930-1940 under Oleg's flight model...Nice idea!

Hptm.Keule
02-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi guys!

Oleg's team is master of WW2 warbirds!
But in the same period there is some other birds like sport gliders and other sport aircrafts like "Silver Bulet"of Howard Huges.
(excelent mashine - You can watch it in the film "The Aviator" of Martin Scorseze)
Once I have read this:
"...the soviet sport pilot X.Y.Z have flown at his glider... near 36 hours without lannding..This is world record..."
Sory - I can't remember the name of the pilot and the name of the glider but this is story from the period 1930-1939.

So, would You like Oleg's team to made just one Russian or German, or American or British sport glider to test Your flying skils?
Are You real Aces? Do You want to test yourselves in gliders cockpit?
If You dislike the idea I will cite the brother of Erich Hartmann. He says: "...As glider pilot Erich was unattainable..." In 1936, Erich€s mother formed a glider club in the town, and Erich joined soon after. His brother Alfred has a vivid recollection of Erich in gliders - €œHe was an excellent pilot, gifted from the start. I used to wish I could do as well, but there was a vast difference in our natural abilities for gliding.€ By 1937, Erich had attained his €œA€ and €œB€ Glider certificates, and with his €œC€ license became an Instructor in his Hitler Youth glider group. Erich Hartmann says €" €œGliding was a great sport, and something more besides. It gave me a wonderful feeling for the air. The sensation and subtle pressures of the wind all around you, holding you up, bearing on your glider, attune you to the air environment. You became, in the true sense, an airman. (Motor)Powered flight, later in the Luftwaffe, came as nothing strange to me. I have seen my mother, my brother and all my young friends fly, and I had flown, so climbing into an aircraft was as much a part of me as getting into an automobile.€

So What Do You Think?

Regards to All!

Hptm.Keule
02-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi guys!

Oleg's team is master of WW2 warbirds!
But in the same period there is some other birds like sport gliders and other sport aircrafts like "Silver Bulet"of Howard Huges.
(excelent mashine - You can watch it in the film "The Aviator" of Martin Scorseze)
Once I have read this:
"...the soviet sport pilot X.Y.Z have flown at his glider... near 36 hours without lannding..This is world record..."
Sory - I can't remember the name of the pilot and the name of the glider but this is story from the period 1930-1939.

So, would You like Oleg's team to made just one Russian or German, or American or British sport glider to test Your flying skils?
Are You real Aces? Do You want to test yourselves in gliders cockpit?
If You dislike the idea I will cite the brother of Erich Hartmann. He says: "...As glider pilot Erich was unattainable..." In 1936, Erich€s mother formed a glider club in the town, and Erich joined soon after. His brother Alfred has a vivid recollection of Erich in gliders - €œHe was an excellent pilot, gifted from the start. I used to wish I could do as well, but there was a vast difference in our natural abilities for gliding.€ By 1937, Erich had attained his €œA€ and €œB€ Glider certificates, and with his €œC€ license became an Instructor in his Hitler Youth glider group. Erich Hartmann says €" €œGliding was a great sport, and something more besides. It gave me a wonderful feeling for the air. The sensation and subtle pressures of the wind all around you, holding you up, bearing on your glider, attune you to the air environment. You became, in the true sense, an airman. (Motor)Powered flight, later in the Luftwaffe, came as nothing strange to me. I have seen my mother, my brother and all my young friends fly, and I had flown, so climbing into an aircraft was as much a part of me as getting into an automobile.€

So What Do You Think?

Regards to All!

Gato__Loco
02-11-2005, 05:04 PM
FB does not have a complex weather system, with rising warm air currents and so for, so there is not much point in gliding. You would just go down like you do on any plane with the engine off.

WWMaxGunz
02-11-2005, 06:15 PM
A lot of the LW Experten were glider pilots from youth. Probably the best way to learn
smooth flying and energy management. And Soviet as well? They had no 'dark age' of
motors on airplanes, I have read of the feats of some Soviet pilots who went on to be
Aces but not about glider pilots from there.

Hptm.Keule
02-12-2005, 03:34 AM
You are right Gato Loco...
Well, we need more complexed weather anyway.
I would like to see moving clouds from the wind.
If You see the direction of the wind by clouds, You will be able to glide.

May be in Battle of Britain...Who knows?

Regards!

fherathras
02-12-2005, 06:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hptm.Keule:
You are right Gato Loco...
Well, we need more complexed weather anyway.
I would like to see moving clouds from the wind.
If You see the direction of the wind by clouds, You will be able to glide.

May be in Battle of Britain...Who knows?

Regards! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah!

And trow in a defiant aswell http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
02-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Gliders would be kinda cool but I don't think you'll get a heck of a lot of support for their addition. There are a lot of fighter jocks here. When reading accounts of pre-war Luftwaffe pilots that eventually ended up in ME-262s, they all seem to credit their ability to handle the plane to their experience in gliders where they learned to control the airplane with the control surfaces rather than engine thrust. Probably be fun to try but the novelty of it would fade after a while.

Aeronautico
02-13-2005, 02:59 AM
At a stage of IL-2 development (FB release?) it seemed like gliders were going to be implemented, in Oleg's intentions. I think Luthier was in charge to provide them.

Hptm.Keule
02-13-2005, 03:36 AM
Hi All!
With glider You can do any acrobatics in the air - Just dive and begin the figures with extra speed.
We have wind in to the storm weather in FB+PF, but we cant see the direction of the wind - You can feel just turbulence.

To 3.JG51_BigBear - I am Fighter Jock too...for me motor powered flight is already something well known...gliders will be real chalenge.

Regards!

Erich Hartmann:
€œGliding was a great sport, and something more besides. It gave me a wonderful feeling for the air. The sensation and subtle pressures of the wind all around you, holding you up, bearing on your glider, attune you to the air environment. You became, in the true sense, an airman. (Motor)Powered flight, later in the Luftwaffe, came as nothing strange to me. I have seen my mother, my brother and all my young friends fly, and I had flown, so climbing into an aircraft was as much a part of me as getting into an automobile.€

womenfly
02-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Be cool to have C47's or He111's towing glides in IL2. Just a thought ... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Kapt_A
02-14-2005, 09:50 AM
It is.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze88gi7/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/glider.jpg
AI though.

Hptm.Keule
02-14-2005, 12:26 PM
I mean little civil sport glider...In Battle of Britain we will have non armed Bf 108, why not sport glider too?

You can practice Air sports before you to jump in to the cockpit of the fighter...
But Oleg first must to develope let's say constant wind with speed near...3m/s for the gliders.

It is realistic! Why not?

Regards!

ucanfly
02-14-2005, 12:33 PM
The actual illusion or feeling of flight has left me wanting in IL2 FB quite frankly and perhaps in all Combat flight sims. Wind and weather effects have seemed to be all or nothing and it feels too much like I am flying on rails. The roll rate, lack of torque (from propeller wash on tail), and ability to perform unrealistic maneuvers may be at least partially a limitation of FM design on a PC, but it makes free flight far less interesting than flying in combat. The simplified terrain elevation modelling is also very apparent in this series, as is the "washed out" colors in some of the maps.

Maybe in the next engine, flying will feel more convincing., and it may be more interesting just flying around. But lets leave free flight for the next engine, where it may be more interesting or in a civilian flight sim where they don't expend CPU cycles on DM, AI ACM, and ballistics, and concentrate more on allowing more detailed navigation, weather effects, terrain elevation modelling, ATC procedures, and where the FM focuses on a very narrow range of AOA.

KG26_Alpha
02-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Dont forget PE8 towing G10's

Would be cool to have gliders towed up and released for competion flying.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/alpha1/pe8glidertowing.jpg