PDA

View Full Version : Where are the FW-190A1, A3 varients?

Gerd_Schopfel
12-02-2004, 07:44 AM
With the expansion pack to FB, is the FW-190A1 and FW-190A3 varients included? (I don't have the expansion pack but I yearn to aquire it one day). You know, the FW-190A1 shot down its first enemy aircraft on September 1 1941-a Spitfire. As a matter of fact, JG26 at Abbeville, received around 20 FW-190A1 in August 1941, so there is no reason why the FW-190A1 should not be in the Aces expansion pack.

Von_Zero
12-02-2004, 07:53 AM
Nope, unfortunately it doesn't but we got the A6 instead http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Stiglr
12-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Probably for the same reason we shouldn't have I-185s in the set.

The A-1 - A3 Focke Wulfs were prototype models. JG26 was the only unit flying them, and one pilot in particular was its main proponent. Not only that, they had some serious engine overheat problems that had to be worked out before the FW190 became the first production, wide deployment model: the A4.

JG26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe by Donald Caldwell clearly spells this out.

JG53Frankyboy
12-02-2004, 10:16 AM
A3 was sure no prototype - was actually the first series that reached the eastern front with JG51 October 42. actualy the Fw190A4 and 3 main difference was the radio http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

the A2 was also far from prototype status , wich some hundreds were produced of !
the A1 , that could be called first series with still lot of toubles in service.

BUT , in general , this sim was never planed as a totaly western front one !
so, no early Fw190s. wait till BoB AdOn - they will apear for sure there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

NorrisMcWhirter
12-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi,

^ Like Franky says - I have a sneaking suspicion that we won't be seeing too many early war aircraft being added from now on purely because of BoB.

Shame, really; while I'd like to see this added I think there are more interesting avenues to explore (Italian additions, for starters).

Cheers,
Norris

faustnik
12-02-2004, 11:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Probably for the same reason we shouldn't have I-185s in the set.

The A-1 - A3 Focke Wulfs were prototype models. JG26 was the only unit flying them, and one pilot in particular was its main proponent. Not only that, they had some serious engine overheat problems that had to be worked out before the FW190 became the first production, wide deployment model: the A4.

JG26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe by Donald Caldwell clearly spells this out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The A3 saw widespread use as the overheat issues were generally worked out with its introduction. Around 600 Fw190A3 were produced and they saw service on the Channel and Eastern fronts.

Jg26 had major heating problems with the A1s and A2s but, even with these early versions, field modifications to the exhaust systems greatly alleviated the problem.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
12-02-2004, 12:18 PM
"wait till BoB AdOn - they will apear for sure there"

BoB wont be an add-on, its an entirely different game/sim that will be release in maybe 2006

Gerd_Schopfel
12-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Stiglr wrote:

"The A-1 - A3 Focke Wulfs were prototype models. JG26 was the only unit flying them, and one pilot in particular was its main proponent. Not only that, they had some serious engine overheat problems that had to be worked out before the FW190 became the first production, wide deployment model: the A4.

JG26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe by Donald Caldwell clearly spells this out."
===============
First of all, just because a plane had problems doesn't mean it should not be included in this game! Don't forget that, especially early in the war, about half the Russian aircraft broke down-had all sorts of mechanical problems. Thus, the fact that the FW-190A1 and A2 varients had overheating problems is no excuse not to put them in the game. Oh, one more thing, the first wide production model was the FW-190A3 not the A4. It's funny you mention this because Caldwell's book "JG26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe" clearly mentions the A3 as the first varient on wide spread production and use.

KaRaYa-X
12-02-2004, 12:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by _VR_ScorpionWorm:

BoB wont be an add-on, its an entirely different game/sim that will be release in maybe 2006 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he meant a possible addon FOR BoB...

Hunde_3.JG51
12-02-2004, 02:26 PM
First of all the A-1 and A-2 were not prototypes. They were production models and they shot down too many aircraft to be even considered prototypes. Still, they will fit much better when thet arrive in BoB though as the fighting will be in large part where they operated.

Second, the famous "overheating" problem was most troublesome during long periods of groudrunning at low rpm's as the coolling fan created insufficient airflow over the rear cylinder banks. I have yet to see significant references from good sources that says overheating in flight was a significant issue. Maybe I am wrong, but references to engine fires also usually occured on the ground. As someone else already mentioned there was an easy fix (by rerouting the exhaust), that could be done right at the squadron's own workshops. Also, the accident/loss rate during workup and early service was quite low. The biggest disaster occured when a quick cloud/fog/haze rolled in at low level and several aircraft crashed blindly into rising ground.

Willey
12-02-2004, 02:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by _VR_ScorpionWorm:

BoB wont be an add-on, its an entirely different game/sim that will be release in maybe 2006 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oleg once stated that the Early Fockes would be the first planes to be added to BoB. So it's an Addon for BoB.

JaBo_HH-BlackSheep
12-02-2004, 03:50 PM
just use the A4 in 41 this plane owns http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
try this and you'll see how the brits must have felt in the SpitV's as the A3s appered on the western front.

A4 = A3 just different radio-equipment.

darkhorizon11
12-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Maybe its not in the game because nobody has offered to model it and Oleg is busy with the other 450 aircraft that people have requested?

Stiglr
12-02-2004, 09:01 PM
The overheating problems were all too real, IN FLIGHT. I've read it described as the pilot finding his feet in a fireplace when it went bad.

I also remember many A3s having this problem. It's true they might have been worked out, and the planes continued in service, but the A4 is almost universally referred to as the first major model, I'm pretty sure of it.

But, it's been awhile since I read that Caldwell book, so I could be wrong...

Hunde_3.JG51
12-02-2004, 09:30 PM
The "feet in the fireplace" comment was by Hans Sander, test pilot of the prototype (later changed and fixed). I don't know if it was used later but that is where it orginated IIRC.

Found it:

"The temperature in the cockpit rose to 55 C, I felt as though I was sitting with my feet in a fire!"

Hans Sander, prototype flight June 1 1939.