PDA

View Full Version : 3.03 Dedicated server patch?

Schmouddle-WT
12-26-2004, 02:26 AM
Anybody knows?

VW-IceFire
12-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Probably coming...apparently we got 3.03 a few days early.

Schmouddle-WT
12-27-2004, 01:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Probably coming...apparently we got 3.03 a few days early. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what I cant understand at all.

Anyway, this is a shameless bump in a good cause.

IV_JG51_Razor
12-27-2004, 03:28 AM
Is there a dedicated server patch required every time this game gets patched?!! I didn't think that was the case.

F16_txmx
12-27-2004, 03:34 AM
A new version of the dedicated server is required with the release of a new version of the game. However, it is possible to extract the files nessecary from the 3.03 patch to update and run the dedicated server on version 3.03 as we have done with our server, F16_Dedicated.

Sofar it seems pretty stable.

S!

Schmouddle-WT
12-27-2004, 03:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by F16_txmx:
A new version of the dedicated server is required with the release of a new version of the game. However, it is possible to extract the files nessecary from the 3.03 patch to update and run the dedicated server on version 3.03 as we have done with our server, F16_Dedicated.

S! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

S!F16

I dunno If I really want to "hack" it, I better wait till a word from His Uberness Oleg is spoken.

(WarClouds had kind of memory leak using the 3.03 patch on DS)

Schmouddle-WT
12-27-2004, 03:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IV_JG51_Razor:
Is there a dedicated server patch required every time this game gets patched?!! I didn't think that was the case. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure it is, Dedicated Server is a different application and there were always special patches for DS in the past.

F16_txmx
12-27-2004, 03:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schmouddle-WT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by F16_txmx:

S! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

S!F16

I dunno If I really want to "hack" it, I better wait till a word from His Uberness Oleg is spoken.

(WarClouds had kind of memory leak using the 3.03 patch on DS) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes i have heard that SPaRX (WarClouds admin) has had problems with the il2server.exe and memory leaks and thus he is using the il2server_new.exe to avoid this problem. The il2server_new.exe is, however, not compatible with the "files_from_patch_fix" 3.03 server so thats why he has reverted back to 3.02 (which is what i would have done in his situation as well).

We have not had this problem with memory leaks on our server and i don't see any signs of it with the "files_from_patch_fix" 3.03 server that we are running right now.

S!

Troll2k
12-27-2004, 06:15 AM
I do not expect a dedicated server patch until they get 3.03(or 3.04) working with the new exe.

Schmouddle-WT
12-27-2004, 06:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troll2k:
I do not expect a dedicated server patch until they get 3.03(or 3.04) working with the new exe. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is your opinion based on any evidence?

Assumption maybe http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-27-2004, 06:57 AM
With 3.04 supposedly right around the corner, I would expect that there won't be a ded server 3.03

This is only speculation on my part, but I expect 3.04 will be a big deal with a dedicated server patch close behind.

I will say this though about Warclouds. In the 3.02bm version, I would time out and get kicked repeatedly even with a low ping. Apparently, I was having some packet-loss (I still haven't figured out why), but with the 3.03m patch, I was able to fly for a few hours without problem...until the server crashed of course.

TB

Schmouddle-WT
12-27-2004, 07:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
With 3.04 supposedly right around the corner, I would expect that there won't be a ded server 3.03

TB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, seems logical.

I have experienced strange things with 3.02bm see:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=2061055552

I returned back to "old" il2server.exe due to bad performance.

However with each inconsistency between server and client versions released I feel effort of countless serveradmins steaming down the drain at full-speed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

S! To serveradmins.

VFS-22_SPaRX
12-27-2004, 09:13 AM
Here is my take on the whole thing right now.

1. version 3.03 is probably a more stable client version for everyone. The 3.02bm was a beta and there are quite possibly performance issues for many with that version. Sound issues seem to be the most noticed. People getting lagg/kicked when the fire MK108s or any other gun with loud sounds. Others may be having rendering issues or what not. But the 3.02bm on the server is stable. I can say this without a doubt because EVERYONE is not getting the problems. If it was a server side issues, then EVERYONE on the server would have the problems. The server does not handle clients in differnt manners, it handles each of them the same. I can think of at least 30 players off the top of my head that can play on the server with 50+ players and have have any problems or get kicked.

2. The make your own 3.03 dedicated server is going to work just fine for just about every server. Unfortunatly it will not work on Warclouds. Reason being is the amount of traffic the server gets. Please do not take this as i am knocking any other server, but there is no other server out there that gets the consitant number of players that WarClouds does. There is no other server that stays at 30+ players 24/7. So why does Warclouds have this problem and others do not like F16_txmx is saying he does not see the problem. When the server sets empty for a period of time, the memory leak has a chance to clear itself. In WarClouds case, it never has this chance to clear the leak at all. This issue was in 2.04 and has carried through to the current version as well if you use the old il2server.exe. It seems that Oleg and crew did not take the time to fix the older file. I do not blame them, as almost every issue with the new exe files is graphical or sound related. The dedicated server does not render sound or graphics, so it will not see the problems that the clients are seeing. Oleg stated in the readme for 3.03 that they would be releasing the new exe for the dedicated server only. At this point, i have to wait for that to update WarClouds.

3. Everyone is always quick to jump on the server for the problems they have when playing on them. But one fact that people fail to understand, "If it is a server issue, then EVERYONE would be getting the problem" By that i mean, if the Server is causing lag from an overworked CPU , bad memeory management or poor internet connection, then EVERYONE on that server will get the same issues. Most of the time, the problem lies in the client or dedicated server Software, not the servers hardware or connection.

4. Last and not least. When a server makes recommendations about settings for your game (ie. Network Settings), its a good idea to set them as requested. This is one of the biggest problems I see on WarClouds right now. At any given time I can check the Network Speeds of everyone on the server and 75% of them will be connected at 3000b/s (28.8k). Repeatedly I have asked everyone to change this to 5000b/s (56k) but no one does it. This one thing ALONE will make a HUGE differnce in the quality of game play on the server. You cannot expect the server to run smoothly for you with a high count of players at a 28.8k connection rate. Most of us have broadband connections for a reason. You need to start using them. You have the ablitiy as a server admin to change a clients rate through the servers console. Unfortunately there is not way to Automate this. As a test one night, I changed everyones Network settings to 56k when the joined and then asked for impressions of players on the server. The same thing was said to me, "the game smoothed out very well when you changed everyone to 56k". So please, if you are going to play on the server, change your setting to 56k. The following is how you go about doing this:

A. If you join by IP only and do not use HL, then all you need to do is open your conf.in and change the following section to the following:

[NET]
speed=5000

B. If you join through HyperLobby then you need to do Part A as well as change the following in your hlpro.ini file:

[Forgotten Battles]
joinDelay=20
clientRate=5000 <----- change this line

Be sure you get the Forgotten Battles section and not the Il2 Strumovik section.

C. If you do not feel like changing these file, then after you join the server can click on the Fly button:

1. Hit the Escape button
2. Goto Network
3. Change your Network setting to 56k.
4. Apply/Ok
5. Continue playing on the server

If you choose this method, you must do this EVERY time you join the server through Hyperlobby.

Well I hope this help some of you out and helps you to see whats going on with dedicated servers. Some of the statements i have tested personally and some of them are asumptions based on my knowledge of PCs, Servers, and Programming as i do not have access to Olegs code. Hopefully we will see the dedicated server patch soon.

S~
SPaRX

Schmouddle-WT
12-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Dear SPaRX,

thanks for the insight.

Please check out the link I provided in my upper post.

We have been running the "new" exe and been astonished - more RAM eaten, more servertime wasted when using that.
It runs perfectly stable, but some of regular visitors of WT_Dedicated reported thise big lags.
When we changed back to "old" exe, the game smoothened (?) a bit, less lags on full-occupied server was reported.

I dont see any point why to use more resources on worse experience. Thats the basics.

Thanks once again

VFS-22_SPaRX
12-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Schmouddle,

I understand what you are saying, but with the old exe, the server crashes everyday and usually 5/6 times. Yes the server is using more ram, Oleg has already stated that the new exe will use 1.3 to 1.5 times more ram. To me that is not a problem because the benfits are greater. The new exe seems to me to be less tolerable to packetloss and network speed settings. I am sure if you ran your server with the new exe and make sure everyone was running a 56k network speed you would see dramtic improvements.

GRYPHON_401Cdn
12-27-2004, 12:10 PM
I run a dedicated server quite a lot. How do I check clientrate of the clients from either the dedicated server, or as a client myself?

Schmouddle-WT
12-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Server 3.03 is out, but 3DGamers suck.