PDA

View Full Version : Oleg, Please remember the sounds



slipBall
08-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Nothing said on this, for bob, so please
at least as good as original il2, turbo's, gun, flak, if you will sir!

leitmotiv
08-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Shockwave's BOB2 has real sounds---there is nothing scarier than being in a German fighter and hearing that rasping, ripping, rumbling racket from a Merlin as a British fighter tears by.

Tater-SW-
08-26-2006, 08:36 PM
I'd hope the sounds would be far far better. Sound in Il-2 is pretty weak, IMO.

I'd make sure to test the pilot voices on real players first, too. The US voices we have are pretty awful. My wingman sounds like he wants to give me a back rub after sharing a champagne cocktail with me (or some drink with an umbrella) when we get back to base.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

tater

slipBall
08-27-2006, 02:19 AM
Shockwave's BOB2 has real sounds---there is nothing scarier than being in a German fighter and hearing that rasping, ripping, rumbling racket from a Merlin as a British fighter tears by.


http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif imagine that in Maddox, all in all, what is your opinion
on shockwave bob2,


(quote)
Not that there's anything wrong with that


if you fly with AI wingman, better to keep eye on your own 6, Not that there's anything wrong with that

stansdds
08-27-2006, 04:50 AM
Seems to me that it was announced some time ago that recordings of real sounds will not be used, but sounds will come from another sound generator.

slipBall
08-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by stansdds:
Seems to me that it was announced some time ago that recordings of real sounds will not be used, but sounds will come from another sound generator.


I don't like the...sounds...of that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I hope for..real sounds!

DuxCorvan
08-27-2006, 10:56 AM
I'll be happy if sound engine doesn't freeze or make my system stutter. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Freakbrother
08-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Sound engine will be the same with some improvements as far i know, read Olegs post here:


http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/8371080943/p/21

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

NonWonderDog
08-27-2006, 11:30 AM
It seems odd that Oleg would spend $200 on his cheap speakers and implement a poor quality sound system... so I tend to believe him. I think the sound I get from my cheap rig is perfectly adequate, anyway. It's only missing variation between types. We have what, 3 different generic engine sound types?

The sounds don't have to be completely prerecorded in order to be good -- there have been impressive advances in synthesized sound. All the sound engine really needs is MORE sounds, so a Merlin sounds like a Merlin, not a Klimov.

slipBall
08-27-2006, 01:34 PM
I think that a aircraft that had a turbo charger installed, 109 for example. Should have that sound employed in bob. All turbo charged engines emit the whine, and whistle, of that turbo. It was in orig il2, and is not in pf. I just would like it to be in bob

DuxCorvan
08-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Oleg will remember the sounds, so he can recall them again and again! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

NonWonderDog
08-27-2006, 03:00 PM
The Me-109 turbo whine IS in PF. It's just a very high pitch. I can't hear it at all with my speakers, no matter how loud I turn them, but it gives me the worst headache imaginable when I wear headphones. I'm not sure if you can hear it in any other planes, because I rarely fly with headphones.

That's probably the kind of thing Oleg was referring to when he said that the sound system is biased towards hi-end equipment.

slipBall
08-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Yes, I tried with a very good pair of Bose headphones. The whine is there, but I would decribe it as weak. More noticable at lower power settings. In orig, there is no need to wear headphones, the turbo sound is very strong.I quess that I would like to see that returned in bob, if possible. It really adds so much to a otherwise great sim. I try not to complain too often, but once released, it will be too late. So I just wanted to remind Oleg of the importance of good sound reproduction

MaxMhz
08-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by NonWonderDog:
The Me-109 turbo whine IS in PF. It's just a very high pitch. I can't hear it at all with my speakers, no matter how loud I turn them, but it gives me the worst headache imaginable when I wear headphones. I'm not sure if you can hear it in any other planes, because I rarely fly with headphones.

That's probably the kind of thing Oleg was referring to when he said that the sound system is biased towards hi-end equipment.
Just put a pair of piezo tweeters paralel to your speakers then - all the high (and more) you'd ever need http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

And about the sound engine being for high end systems - roflmao I got mine over the stereo - no high end computer stuff will ever come close to that and it's still an awfull sound.

MagnumHK
08-28-2006, 02:58 PM
slipBall you are dead on about the sounds. I very much miss that turbo whine this sim originally had. I used to fly the 109 around just to hear that turbo whine. I kidd you not it almost brought a tear to me eye. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Sound options should be made available especially for OFFline campaigns. The ONline community brought on this sound depravation, because they did not want to hear a plane closing on their six. It is considered to be a form of cheating ONline because apparently real life pilots could barely hear a thing above the roar of their own engine and guns. Real pilots also wore those headsets which further dampened the sounds.

However, sound if far too important to be ignored in the PC world. We need the richness of sound to make the flying experience complete. We only have a small 2D screen to look at, which is only 1/32 of what a real pilot could see in the first place. Any aid to this helps the immersive atmoshere considerably. Good sound is the one thing besides vision that will significantly enhance our virtual flying.

IMHO actual reality for combat on a PC if far, far, far away. Let's not sacrifice sound for the sake of reality when actaul reality on a PC is not possible today. At the very least there should be switches to disable the rich vibrant soounds for the ONline community. This way everybody could be happy.

New flyers will be attracted to the visuals (which are done quite well) and the sound (needs a lot of work) in the future. Make the sim come alive for a stimulating experince even for the novice with the tools available (visuals, sound) and they will be snatching this product from the store shelves just to see what all the hype is about. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Trust me this has happened before with some microsoft (not flight sims) products.

Again, this is just my humble opinion on the matter and it is not my intention to offend anyone. I have been flying for quite some time and have been with the IL2 series from the very start.

slipBall
08-28-2006, 03:26 PM
I used to fly the 109 around just to hear that turbo whine. I kidd you not it almost brought a tear to me eye



lol,...I still do!..I fly the orig game, more than pf...just for the sounds, and fm http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Box-weasel
08-28-2006, 04:05 PM
New sounds are being recorded as we speak http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
http://gvtc.com/~thh/booth.jpg

Aviar
08-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Shockwave's BOB2 has real sounds---there is nothing scarier than being in a German fighter and hearing that rasping, ripping, rumbling racket from a Merlin as a British fighter tears by.

Check out this post regarding a private conversation with Manfred Leisebein, a real life Bf-109 pilot:

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb....topic;f=144;t=005961 (http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=144;t=005961)

In particular, you may find this part interesting:

"You definitely could not hear any sounds of other aircraft or even weapons of enemy aircraft firing. He didnt notice a La-5/7 firing behind him until he looked back and looked directly into its gun muzzles."

Aviar

MagnumHK
08-29-2006, 05:42 PM
A very informative interview which seems to agree with previous interviews of other WW2 pilots. This verifies what others have said about hearing almost nothing but own engine and guns while flying in REAL life.

However, the Personal Computer is still far, far, far away from actually reproducing a REAL life WW2 combat experience as I mentioned above. The PC really has only sight (which is only 1/32 of what you can see in real life) and sound to really reproduce flying in combat. REAL life pilots SAW and FELT so much more than we do on a PC that it really is futile to even try to compare them. There is NO comparison.

Sound (whole spectrum of sound)to a PC combat sim is probably half of the whole flying experience. You take that away and include only poor engine and gun sounds and you really have killed off almost half the show.

At the VERY LEAST the rich vibrant sounds should have an option for being turned off, if the ONline community or anybody else wishes it to be so. Sound should be similar to Icons which can be turned on, off, or tuned to ones preference right now.

REALITY is great and I for one am all for it. However, reality that takes away from the immersive atmosphere and entertainment VALUE of a product must not be rigidly applied or too much of the actual experience one is trying to recreate will be lost. Staying within the confines of what technology can reproduce well(graphics and sound) is what should be concentrated on.

Putting Realism AHEAD of immersive atmosphere and entertainment value will NOT sell anything let alone a flight sim.

Sorry for rambling on, but I thought this was worth the effort and I hope Oleg looks at this sound issue very carefully.

R_Target
08-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Box-weasel:
New sounds are being recorded as we speak http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
http://gvtc.com/~thh/booth.jpg

I was hoping somebody would post that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Abbeville-Boy
08-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by MagnumHK:
slipBall you are dead on about the sounds. I very much miss that turbo whine this sim originally had. I used to fly the 109 around just to hear that turbo whine. I kidd you not it almost brought a tear to me eye. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Sound options should be made available especially for OFFline campaigns. The ONline community brought on this sound depravation, because they did not want to hear a plane closing on their six. It is considered to be a form of cheating ONline because apparently real life pilots could barely hear a thing above the roar of their own engine and guns. Real pilots also wore those headsets which further dampened the sounds.

However, sound if far too important to be ignored in the PC world. We need the richness of sound to make the flying experience complete. We only have a small 2D screen to look at, which is only 1/32 of what a real pilot could see in the first place. Any aid to this helps the immersive atmoshere considerably. Good sound is the one thing besides vision that will significantly enhance our virtual flying.

IMHO actual reality for combat on a PC if far, far, far away. Let's not sacrifice sound for the sake of reality when actaul reality on a PC is not possible today. At the very least there should be switches to disable the rich vibrant soounds for the ONline community. This way everybody could be happy.

New flyers will be attracted to the visuals (which are done quite well) and the sound (needs a lot of work) in the future. Make the sim come alive for a stimulating experince even for the novice with the tools available (visuals, sound) and they will be snatching this product from the store shelves just to see what all the hype is about. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Trust me this has happened before with some microsoft (not flight sims) products.

Again, this is just my humble opinion on the matter and it is not my intention to offend anyone. I have been flying for quite some time and have been with the IL2 series from the very start.



http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

MagnumHK
08-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Box-weasel:
New sounds are being recorded as we speak http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
http://gvtc.com/~thh/booth.jpg

Is there some development in the sound area that we should be aware of? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Please tell more. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

slipBall
08-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Allright!!.....now we are getting somewhere http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Viper2005_
08-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by slipBall:
I think that a aircraft that had a turbo charger installed, 109 for example. Should have that sound employed in bob. All turbo charged engines emit the whine, and whistle, of that turbo. It was in orig il2, and is not in pf. I just would like it to be in bob

Since when did the bf-109 have a turbocharger?

slipBall
08-31-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Viper2005_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slipBall:
I think that a aircraft that had a turbo charger installed, 109 for example. Should have that sound employed in bob. All turbo charged engines emit the whine, and whistle, of that turbo. It was in orig il2, and is not in pf. I just would like it to be in bob

Since when did the bf-109 have a turbocharger? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


The key difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger is its power supply. Something has to supply the power to run the air compressor. In a supercharger, there is a belt that connects directly to the engine, or gearing. It gets its power the same way that the water pump or alternator does. A turbocharger, on the other hand, gets its power from the exhaust stream


turbocharger/supercharger, the point trying to be made......is the sound's http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

NonWonderDog
08-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Most of "turbo whine" comes from an exhaust turbine spinning at 10,000 rpm, though. I never did understand why this sound is strongest in the Me-109 in the sim.

Maybe we can call it gear whine? There is a reduction gear on the prop, I believe.

Blackjack174
08-31-2006, 07:56 AM
The thing i dont get is that in the original il2 you could hear bullets flyby (only in external view!!!), also the attentuation setting (still present in PF , does nothing at my machine in 4.04m) on the lowest notch let you hear NOTHING from outside in original il2,
so they should have boltet the attentuation to that setting online only and let it free offline, but in some version of FB you actually wherent able to hear very much outside, with good results online (good for sneaking up).
Then they again patched it so that you hear too much, the fidelety of the original il2 soundengine was IMHO crippled (and that is not entirely hardware dependent, you can test this with sound in pure software mode as well).

The wierdest thing is that the statement from Oleg with the 200$ speakers also included a hint that you should NOT use EAX extensions (i think he meant >eax 2.0 where the reverb etc is activated ingame), so they refine the sound engine with eax 3.0 features and then state that the sound is best with turned off EAX...

I think some dissapointing design decisions in the sound departement have been made and really hope that BOB will at least TRY to have better sound, I can fly with tuned down gfx, but good sound is (immersion++)^2 for me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

slipBall
09-01-2006, 11:55 AM
but good sound is (immersion++)^2 for me



I hear ya http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

MagnumHK
09-05-2006, 04:32 PM
good sound is (immersion++)^2 for me



The same goes for me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Beirut
09-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Janes WW2Fighters had some great add-on sound files. And CFS1 had the greatest (add-on) Merlin sound I've ever heard. It was brutal!

Both these sims are six or seven years old, so I really don't see why we can't have good sound with today's sims.

Alikaswat
09-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Has anyone heard the sounds from Shockwave addon WWII Fighters? This is for FS2004 I beleive. The sounds are OUTSTANDING. Why cannot Storm of War have sounds like these?

slappedsilly
09-08-2006, 10:20 PM
I've been hoping and wishing fsx will have some type of weapon modding capabilities. Coupled with GMX's Wings of Power 2 planes it could be some real compitetion.

WTE_Ibis
09-09-2006, 05:59 AM
I must add my plea for better sound as well and I don't understand why the latest sounds are inferior to the original, how can that be progress
for cry'n out loud??
And MagnumHK we have lawnmower sounds now surely you could aspire to tractor sounds at least.

Manu-6S
09-09-2006, 06:42 AM
I wish that we'll not listen the enemy's shots in BOB. Pilots could listen nothing except radios and, above all, their engines.

No flaks (but I'm agree with flak's puffs if they explode near the plane), no rumour from enemy's mg and mk.

Ther real pilots understood the enemy threads only in a visual way.

Aaron_GT
09-09-2006, 08:53 AM
There's a difference between the sound being like hearing a plane at an air show (you are static, not in a plane, and the plane is flying by) and what you'd hear when in a WW2 fighter. You'd basically just hear the aircraft. Even in just a light plane in real life you don't hear much other than the engine, and a WW2 fighter has anything up to 20 times as many horsepower at the front end.

For externals there might be an argument for having a sound that is a bit more like air shows, but if the concentration is to be on what it is like in cockpit I'd argue that we hear far too much of anything else. But probably what you need to do is invest in a good sub and SIT on it to get some of the literal 'seat of your pants' feeling. The psychoacoustic effect will make a huge difference.

Manu-6S
09-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
There's a difference between the sound being like hearing a plane at an air show (you are static, not in a plane, and the plane is flying by) and what you'd hear when in a WW2 fighter. You'd basically just hear the aircraft. Even in just a light plane in real life you don't hear much other than the engine, and a WW2 fighter has anything up to 20 times as many horsepower at the front end.


Yes, this is that I mean.

Without enemy's MGs sounds the victim would have less time to react = sneak attacks would be more efficent like in RL.

Interminate
09-10-2006, 04:50 PM
For all the realism in sound people- Maybe the flying man that witnesses flyby and mouse mode should be outlawed. But I think the cockpit environment could be improved to just engine sounds.

I would like more pilot voice variation. Maybe a couple of people yelling at me or congratulating me on the ground. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

OldMan___
09-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Some pilots states that they could hear nothing. But there is also counter examples. I have a biography of Peter Henna german pilto, and in several ocasions it describes that they could hear a high tune when a mustang fly by in oposite direction.

In at least one ocasion he states that the sound of the engine is pretty smooth, .. until you kick full power and the cockpit is filled with a deafening sound.

He stated that was very easy to hear the sound of the bullets hitting the plane, anywhere "like popcorn exploding"


This goes along with the theory. A high volume sound do not make other sounds not audible! Just make other sounds in same frequency range hard to listen. Sounds in completely different frequency range and harmonics can be heard very well. You can have a 17 kHz very loud sound, incredbly loud, and you will still be able to comprehend any human talking to you, with no problems.

Also its quite impossible to beleive that all the time the sound was at such huge levels (probably only when at max power), otherwise any of the LW aces that flew 1 thousand missions would never hear the orders form the commanding offficer at ground.

Also most people cannot sustain much time at deafening sound levels (level when you cannot hear any more sound on neighboring frequencies, no matter the volume) without getting motion sick. Not something very advisable when in combat.

AA_Absolute
09-26-2006, 06:09 AM
With all respects, lots of people forgive one question, not all people hear planes in six, only hear if you have specific hardw and config.

I think best option is create une swicht in reality config and enable or disable sonic radar.

Blackjack174
09-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by AA_Absolute:
With all respects, lots of people forgive one question, not all people hear planes in six, only hear if you have specific hardw and config.

on softwaremode every 3 soundcards I own sound the same , all have sound on 6 oclock, and how is softwaresound a special setting?
I think its there as long as sourround setting is used regardless other parameters.

AA_Absolute
09-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Blackjack174:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AA_Absolute:
With all respects, lots of people forgive one question, not all people hear planes in six, only hear if you have specific hardw and config.

on softwaremode every 3 soundcards I own sound the same , all have sound on 6 oclock, and how is softwaresound a special setting?
I think its there as long as sourround setting is used regardless other parameters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok. You have one good soundcard (Audigy 2ZS or best) and must disable hardware acceleration (best engine sounds) to hear enemy on six... is like if you have good hardware ,largue screen (1600x1200) and must fly 1024x768 to view dots at same time other pilots...

I only say all pilots hear same sounds in cuantity (qualtity depends of sound card) with good or bad sound systems.

I think enemy six listeners are exploiders... lots of onliners use it.

As reality WWII pilots say sneak attacks are best way to shoot one enemy, with sonic radar it's impossible.

S!

Blackjack174
09-27-2006, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by AA_Absolute:
I think enemy six listeners are exploiders... lots of onliners use it.

Thats the main problem, with software I can hear it AND with hardware acceleration!
And my 2 better Soundcards are a SBLive from 1998 and nvidia nforce2 onboard sound, so I safely say that the game is programmed so you can hear planes on your 6.
I can remember 1 version,of Forgotten Battles that is, where sound on 6 where completely removed only until other planes where near 1-3 meters away , was great online that time, I agree that this has to be fixed (as well as AI planes magically detect you now on 6 so do players online http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif )
I would gladly redouce the sound heard in the cockpit for realism, sadly it isnt possible anymore (in old versions attentuation setting in conf.ini regulated how 'far' you could hear)
I hope that they think about sound-realism for BoB too, maybe even a difficulty setting: "realistic sound" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

AA_Absolute
09-27-2006, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Blackjack174:
I hope that they think about sound-realism for BoB too, maybe even a difficulty setting: "realistic sound" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

If you like sound realism, try this:

As you have two sound cards, use one for comms with your comrades (headphones) and the other for general sounds with speakers...

Like track-ir and Hotas another must have for me.

S!

Tater-SW-
09-27-2006, 09:47 AM
When I took a hop in a B-24, it was at our big airport/AFB. Commercial jets were taking off an landing while we taxied and warmed up. I heard NOTHING except those 4 radial engines.External sounds should be off if your own engine is running.

Any change in the current really crappy Il-2 sounds would be an improvement, IMO.

And the voice stuf... yeesh.

tater

WOLFMondo
09-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Once I got a decent sound card, a decent set of speakers and a 'phat' subwoofer, sounds in IL2 actually sound OK. Its just the lack of supercharger/turbocharger whine and most of the engines sound the same is the issue.

Fact is sound in this game is ok, it just needs some decent hardware to go with it.

Tater-SW-
09-27-2006, 10:29 AM
I have a music CD that consists of P-51 engien noise. From inside, and flybys.

Doesn't sound remotely like Il-2. Not even a little.

tater

slipBall
09-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Yes, if we could only have real engine sound's, Oleg would make us rave, and his investors rich http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I have a good machine, top notch sub woffer, speakers, SoundBlaster Gamer card 2ZS, the sounds just are not there. While original il2 game sounds are near awesome.

I for one would be happy, just hearing my engine. I'm sure that's all the real pilots heard at a high throttle setting, that and flax charge. True engine sound's, different for types, and makes, would be ideal.

Naturaly in externals, you would hear other aircraft, and other sounds. Sounds do add so much to the imagination, really the only thing that I have doubts about, and worry will be missing in sow. I know all the other features will be first class

MagnumHK
09-29-2006, 12:44 PM
A lot of you in my humble opinion have completely missed the point of this thread. Once again I do not intend to offend anyone, but PLEASE reread the following post. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif



Originally posted by MagnumHK:
A very informative interview which seems to agree with previous interviews of other WW2 pilots. This verifies what others have said about hearing almost nothing but own engine and guns while flying in REAL life.

However, the Personal Computer is still far, far, far away from actually reproducing a REAL life WW2 combat experience as I mentioned above. The PC really has only sight (which is only 1/32 of what you can see in real life) and sound to really reproduce flying in combat. REAL life pilots SAW and FELT so much more than we do on a PC that it really is futile to even try to compare them. There is NO comparison.

Sound (whole spectrum of sound)to a PC combat sim is probably half of the whole flying experience. You take that away and include only poor engine and gun sounds and you really have killed off almost half the show.

At the VERY LEAST the rich vibrant sounds should have an option for being turned off, if the ONline community or anybody else wishes it to be so. Sound should be similar to Icons which can be turned on, off, or tuned to ones preference right now.

REALITY is great and I for one am all for it. However, reality that takes away from the immersive atmosphere and entertainment VALUE of a product must not be rigidly applied or too much of the actual experience one is trying to recreate will be lost. Staying within the confines of what technology can reproduce well(graphics and sound) is what should be concentrated on.

Putting Realism AHEAD of immersive atmosphere and entertainment value will NOT sell anything let alone a flight sim.

Sorry for rambling on, but I thought this was worth the effort and I hope Oleg looks at this sound issue very carefully.


Slipball I really do agree with you about the original IL2 sounds being far superior to what we have now. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Tater-SW-
09-29-2006, 02:06 PM
I'd much rather have decent engine and gun noise, and no other sounds at all. I think the ability to remove the idiotic "sonar" for online play is also pretty critical.

tater

tagTaken2
10-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
I have a music CD that consists of P-51 engien noise. From inside, and flybys.
Doesn't sound remotely like Il-2. Not even a little.
tater

Damn straight. I've been playing mig alley, and the p-51 in that made me realise just how much we're missing out on. I'm not optimistic if oleg is going to use the same sound engine, no matter how 'improved'.