PDA

View Full Version : An interesting find:

PBNA-Boosher
11-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Apparently this was up on Airwarfare.com, but it's still a great source of help!

It seems that in WW2, in order to help green pilots with their gunnery, Adolf Galland composed a manual about how to shoot effectively in aerial combat.
http://rafiger.de/Homepage/Literatur/Schiessfibel.pdf
It is titled both as "Horrido" and "The Shooting Guide (Schiessfibel)" The manual itself is in German, but you can also download an english translation of most of it here:
http://home.austin.rr.com/jg13/fw190gunnery/Horrido.doc

From Airwarfare.com:

Gunnery €" Luftwaffe style

Note: This will be a series of posts in tutorial fashion. I sincerely hope all the links work. Please let me know there are any problems.

Well - why did you not manage to down your opponent in your last attack? Do not blow it off (or blame Oleg) - this would be too easy! You think, this could not be assessed afterwards? Wrong, at least with a little reflection on the matter.

It is well known - from gun camera footage and combat reports - that a number of errors, with regard to aiming and shooting are made on a regular basis. It is likely, you have the same issues:

You shoot from too far away.

Your lead is wrong.

You shoot from unfavorable positions

Your coordination of the aircraft controls is not smooth enough

You are not using the weapons control systems properly

You rely on tracers for aiming

Your aircraft and guns need proper adjustments.

You are using inefficient ammunition load outs.

Of course - there are probably some more reasons for your lack of success - but these eight well known issues will be discussed here in practical terms.

These words were published in June 1944 (except for obviously the Oleg part), and written/edited by arguably the greatest German Ace and fighter leader of the all, Adolf Galland. They are published in his book to Luftwaffe fighter pilots €œHorrido €" Des Jagers Schiessfibel€ or in Gunslinger Texan €œThe Hunters Shooting Bible€.

These 8 principals were so well thought out, that as I was going through countless tracks and writing this post, I realized that they applied to every single error that I make, or have made in the past. It€s an amazing comment on this sim (yes I believe it to be a sim more than a game because it really takes months, perhaps years to master) that these 8 principles, from 1944 apply just as much today as they did over 60 years ago!

Get these while you can, I know many of you already have them. I cannot emphasize strongly enough that you read these and absorb the details and concepts. Notes with respect to IL2-FB-AEP-PF:

a. Remember the date of this pub. This was written during the period that the allies were most of the way toward establishing Air Supremacy over Western Europe. The issue of the day was U.S. Bombers and the guide was certainly produced for Luftwaffe replacement pilots, who by that time had a life expectancy of about 2-5 sorties. Luftwaffe replacement pilots could not be expected to master, complex flight manoeuvres nor approaches, like head-ons. Those advanced concepts, were expected to be addressed by the remaining veterans, on the job. This manual was a compromise, intended to get the most of very short, young lives. This was produced during the time that Galland was re-building his reserves for what he thought would be an all out effort against the 8th Air Force (Little did he know, his summer-fall 1944 efforts would be frittered away on Operation Bodenplatte) I believe that there was no book like this in the Luftwaffe previously, as many pilot accounts prior to 1944 state that deflection shooting was frowned upon by the Luftwaffe formal training establishment. Pilots like Hans Joachim Marseille, Gunther Rall, Eric Rurdorffer and Emil Lang (my votes for best deflection shots of all time, were all self taught, my belief anyway).

b. you can skip the sections on bomber turbulence (wake), as these cannot be modelled with the computational resources of today, so therefore don€t exist in the IL2 series.

BerkshireHunt
11-29-2004, 07:21 PM
I read this sometime ago and it is indeed technically very interesting.
One thing has always puzzled me though: Page 21 of the 'Schiessfibel' has what looks like a typical Nazi caricature of a Jew holding a bag of gelt (10,000 Reichmarks?). He is watching a jagdflieger practise his deflection shooting- but what was the young Luftwaffe pilot reading this supposed to think? Is it an in- joke? Why include the Jew? Is he meant to be dreading the day the Luftwaffe shoots down all the capitalist American bombers?
Interesting that even the Luftwaffe included anti- semitic cartoons in its literature.

woofiedog
11-30-2004, 12:42 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif Great find PBNA-Boosher!
Thank's for sharing.

TheGozr
11-30-2004, 01:13 AM
Great find http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif