PDA

View Full Version : Rammj√¬§ger

Deedsundone
11-23-2005, 11:39 AM
We first got about a dozen take-offs on Fw 44,B√ľ 181 and Ar 96,to help us make the transition from heavy aircrafts to light ones,and we practised aerobatics,formation flight and dogfights.Then followed six ciricuts on a Me 109 two seaters with an instructor and the next flight would be solo.Most of the 26 solo flights were ciricuts,only the last four were formation practices.

After my last flight on 23 March 1945 my flying license was endorsed.Ready for operations on Ar 96 and Me 109.But fighting tactics,firing,bailing out in emergancy had only been taught in theory!What this short training was to be for only became clear to us later on.

On 6 April,rumour had it that operations would begin the next day.Orders:fly along the Elbe as far as Megdenburg,height 10,000m,further instructions from control-on contacting enemy,destruction by ramming.The aircraft had been specially prepared for this operation:the radio transmitter had been removed,armament only one 13mm machine gun with 50(!) rounds of ammunition.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
21 year old Ogefr Gerhard ritcher,who had been trained as a bomber pilot during 1943-44,but converted to the Bf 109 early in 1945

Taken from the Jane‚¬īs book "Battles with the Luftwaffe-The bomber campaign against Germany 1942-45.

Outstanding book.

tomtheyak
11-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Taken from the Jane‚¬īs book "Battles with the Luftwaffe-The bomber campaign against Germany 1942-45.

Outstanding book.

Can't agree strongly enough - much of it is quotes from surviving vets, many of them heartbreaking stories of sacrifice and suffering and not much glory. Heavy going at times but compared to a lot of dry facts and some of the glorification that surrounds air warfare, this is an enlightening and absorbing read.

As for Rammjager - the mind boggles as to how intelligent men get to the point where this is an acceptable and viable tactic of war.

Sharpe26
11-23-2005, 12:04 PM
try finding The Last flight of the Lufwaffe by Adrian Weir. That shoulod give you some of the ideas behind the rammjager idea.

p1ngu666
11-23-2005, 04:21 PM
didnt a few in that book survive, because there 109's broke? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

think i have that book, bit depressing tho http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

tom, many considered they would die anyways, but to achive something in there death was attractive..

strong sense of duty

for some its the only way to fight back (as seen in numourous places around the world today http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif)

GreyFox5
11-23-2005, 04:27 PM
[quote]On 6 April,rumour had it that operations would begin the next day.Orders:fly along the Elbe as far as Megdenburg,height 10,000m,further instructions from control-on contacting enemy,destruction by ramming.The aircraft had been specially prepared for this operation:the radio transmitter had been removed,armament only one 13mm machine gun with 50(!) rounds of ammunition.
/quote]

Oh My!!!!!!!!!!!

jugent
11-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Man doesnt lie more than before a political election, during a war, and after a hunting party.

Otto von Bismarck