PDA

View Full Version : P-47 dive advantage

WWMaxGunz
06-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Is not big acceleration unless maybe steeper dives than I tried but...

In terms of stability at high speed and top speed without damage, it is definite the best I
have seen so far! The P-51C will outstreak it in 22 degree dive, no problem, but it will
also come apart around 900 kph down low while my P-47D-22 hit 960 kph from less than 5000m
in steep only (not vertical) dive and was able to maneuver and recover close to ground!
It didn't even shake till about 900 kph!

FW-190A-9 did very good, like the P-51C. Comes apart maybe a little sooner. A6 even less
but wow it can sprint though not so good as P-51C that is wicked fast acceleration and hot
speed in those dives.

So here I see the inevitable as long diving chase to full speeds, P-47 will catch in time.
In the very steep chase it will catch sooner unless maybe the distance is short and then
on the pullouts I think the P-47 will close the gap fast right there -- and in zooms. But
only if the P-47 pilot flies properly of course, anyone can ruin a free picnic and blame
someone else.

WWMaxGunz
06-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Is not big acceleration unless maybe steeper dives than I tried but...

In terms of stability at high speed and top speed without damage, it is definite the best I
have seen so far! The P-51C will outstreak it in 22 degree dive, no problem, but it will
also come apart around 900 kph down low while my P-47D-22 hit 960 kph from less than 5000m
in steep only (not vertical) dive and was able to maneuver and recover close to ground!
It didn't even shake till about 900 kph!

FW-190A-9 did very good, like the P-51C. Comes apart maybe a little sooner. A6 even less
but wow it can sprint though not so good as P-51C that is wicked fast acceleration and hot
speed in those dives.

So here I see the inevitable as long diving chase to full speeds, P-47 will catch in time.
In the very steep chase it will catch sooner unless maybe the distance is short and then
on the pullouts I think the P-47 will close the gap fast right there -- and in zooms. But
only if the P-47 pilot flies properly of course, anyone can ruin a free picnic and blame
someone else.

VW-IceFire
06-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Sounds about right. The P-47 was an awesome diver...but the P-51 was said to be better and the Tempest was said to be even faster in a dive than a Mustang. Jug pilots always told their Mustang compatriots (or so I've read) that while the Mustang may out dive them by a little bit...they always knew they would pull out at the bottom.

WWMaxGunz
06-12-2005, 07:36 AM
I only ran six of the usual compares through some long dives without controlling very well
start speeds and captured tracks when I felt about ready. The dive angles were right in
the 22 degree range and the start alts were right around 5000m. Then I ran the tracks
with UDPSpeed capturing data and looked through. The planes were all run at around 99%
power and auto prop for the LW's, 100% for the US. All planes were fuel, guns and ammo
by default QMB. Start alt was 5000 and rads were closed before the dives started.

In the data since the start conditions varied I went to places where the speeds were in a
certain range, 500 kph and up. I note that the P-47D-22 slightly out-accelerated the 190A-4
but was by about the same margin out-accelerated by the 190A-5. I'll have to try the D-27
some time but since that is not a really steep dive it is only look at data for me to think
about. They all ran the course in about 1 minute but with the variances of start speeds, I
think comparing times would be nonsense except for the P-51 that didn't start fast but did
cover the distance 2 seconds ahead of any other. It can sprint and it has a good top speed,
where it starts losing parts as all but the P-47 in those flights.

What I found more right was the actual flying, the feeling of pushing a barrier that was
different for each plane once the speed really picked up. That was why I looked at the
acceleration from 500 kph up. And the P-47D-22 held rock solid compared to the others
right up to the end. I did some extra, steeper dives with it without getting tracks or
data because this aspect of top speed and control impresses me as practical importance.
The P-47D-22 didn't start shaking until right about 900 kph! I pulled out of a very steep
dive in it at 960 kph and thought there was a shake but when I went external and looked,
there seemed to be no missing parts and the plane flew fine. Mach 1 is I think over 1200
kph at sea level, please correct me if I'm wrong, so don't get excited about sound barrier
unless I'm very wrong. A quick similar look at the FW-190A-9 showed it to be superior to
the A-6 but loses parts about where the P-51-C does.

I also like how from shake to shedding parts, it at least seems like you can't be sure just
when you should have backed off. Maybe with the shake it is harder to control that? I have
not tested that in any way. I wouldn't mind a bit if once the plane starts shaking it would
be a good idea to slow down or at least not speed up for fear of inability to pull out or
lose control and end up losing parts. In fact, I'd really like that. From what I saw you
only need to know the speed at altitude you can reach and fly to that as there is no range
of condition your plane might be in, they are all identically new when you get them.