PDA

View Full Version : Map making for noobs.

Mx21
03-09-2006, 02:13 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I think Far Cry Instincts on the Xbox has a map editor in which people can put maps together easily. I'd love to see something like this for the PC version of this game. You could also include an indepth map editor like the one in RvS, in which people who are more skilled could use.

Who else would like to see something like this?

Mx21
03-09-2006, 02:13 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I think Far Cry Instincts on the Xbox has a map editor in which people can put maps together easily. I'd love to see something like this for the PC version of this game. You could also include an indepth map editor like the one in RvS, in which people who are more skilled could use.

Who else would like to see something like this?

DreamMarine
03-09-2006, 02:48 AM
Though I don't know that Xbox map editor, I totally agree with you. That would be a really great feature.

By the way, as far as i know the map editor of RvS it's veeeeeery complicated. And that's not because I'm a noob in map designing, too. It's just because it IS far too complicated! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But I would understand if UBI gives this a relative low priority! But still a nice feature! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DreamMarine

subzero1900
03-09-2006, 08:36 AM
lets analize this

Two Editors....Twice the codeing required to make them both work....One simplified...one Advanced...

Lets realise a few things

a. they are not going to make two editors because some people cant take the time to "Play" in the editor and read "Tutorials"

b. if anything I'd rather have them make an Advanced editor over the noobified one....why?
<LI>less crappy maps
<LI>more maps that took time and thought
<LI>things like Havoc, or Karma
<LI>Lighting effects
<LI>Sound effects (ambient noise)
<LI>Static Meshes
<LI>Dynamic Lighting

c. they make tutorials for people who are NOOBS!
www.rvsmaps.com (http://www.rvsmaps.com) &lt;---great site for NOOBS!

Mx21
03-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Not everyone wants to take the time to learn how to make maps. It would just be a simplified version of a more complex one. It could be a bit like Theme Park. You know, place a tree here, place a car there, place a building here, etc.

If anything, it would mean less crappy maps, as we wouldn't have so many buggy maps that haven't been optimized correctly and stuff.

DreamMarine
03-09-2006, 09:08 AM
This thread is going into the wrong direction:

use-friendly != noobified !!!

I could imagine that even the map developers of UBI themselve could use a user-friendlier map editor. Am i wrong that they use their own map editor themselves???

But that's a decision made by UBI or the graphic engine producers. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

XsargenX
03-09-2006, 03:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by subzero1900:
lets analize this

Two Editors....Twice the codeing required to make them both work....One simplified...one Advanced...

Lets realise a few things

a. they are not going to make two editors because some people cant take the time to "Play" in the editor and read "Tutorials"
! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah lazy F-kerss - with ravenshield I gotto build a little working map, little crappy but I learneda bunch

FI_FlimFlam
03-09-2006, 03:14 PM
One thing to keep in mind. A simplified map editor equals less options for the skilled map maker.

I can see both camps here and each has it's merits. However, I agree with subzero to an extent that the devs will probably not produce 2 map making applications. It would most likely be one or the other. If the engine for the game is the latest unreal engine, then I have a feeling it will use the UnrealEd as it's editor. And they will not go about custom coding a simplified editor. I wouldn't want them doing that and ignoring other aspects of the game just for a simplified editor.

There is nothing wrong with a extremely simplified editor for people who do not want to put any time into learing a decent but not too difficult editor like UnrealEd. However I do not think resources should be diverted that could be used on other aspects of the game.

Personally I would rather have a full featured editor that can be used to make awesome custom levels and have to spend some time learning how to use it, than a stripped down drag and drop one that makes all levels look essentially the same using the same limited number of models and textures and sounds.

SODsniper
03-09-2006, 04:00 PM
I am of two minds regarding this.

On the one hand, it's really fun to create your own little world and show off that world to your friends. That's one of the real joys of map making.

On the other hand and forgive me for being blunt, I busted my @rse to learn the map making. I am talking literally days and days of 15 hours doing nothing but running with UnrealEd. I don't want to sound elitest or anything, but if you have a Map Editor that a 12 yr old could use, then we would be inundated with hundreds and hundreds of maps at a 12 yr old level.

It's probably a moot point. If RB6-5 does use the UNREAL 3 ENGINE (hope hope pray pray) then I doubt that the devs will make any kind of effort to dumb down the Map Editor.