PDA

View Full Version : OT-Living without Television...

SeaFireLIV
02-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Wow. Do you realise just how hard it is without a television?

Last week I decided to try and do without TV. Yea, I got sick of the juvenile rubbish, I got sick of being told what to think. I got sick of always needing to put the TV on for no reason at all... just background noise.

So I got rid of it. Well, actually, I passed it to a friend to keep indefinitely... Of course I can still watch DVD films on the computer, which I like cos it`s under my control. Anyway, he said he won`t get rid of it cos i`ll be back.

Well, he may be right.

It`s tough. Every time I go in the livining room I look into that corner where only my stereo system sits. I switch on the radio...hmmm.

I do some artwork. An hour later my head wants to look at THAT corner.

I go on the PC. Yep, automatically looking the wrong way again.

Television is an incredibly powerful thing. It`s like some kind of demon pulling at you continuously, you know it has about 5% of anything worthwhile watching, but still it tugs at you like a beguiling snake. It really makes me realise how this thing has a total grip on society.

I know I did the right thing, especially since I feel myself drawn to it in a ridiculous manner, I actually think more clearly, I consider other projects and ideas, but it aint easy, it`s like a drug!

Do more artwork. Walk. Go abroad. Read. Anything but blasted TV!!!

ploughman
02-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Good for you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

general_kalle
02-10-2007, 03:51 PM
i can understand you. its scary how much TV some people watch. but i am sure i could easily live without tv. i watch say 3 hours a week.

depends on what one the telly at the time. currently theres Midsomer Murders with inspekter Barneby. very good. then theres usually some interesting program lasting an hour such as a Nature program about big caves.

and then i watch the usual hour of waste of time. american sopes, comercials, parts of movies etc.

not much and although i enjoy inspekter Barneby i could easily live without TV. then computer is a bigger deal http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

now i got to write alot about something that dosnt matter

RCAF_Irish_403
02-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Seafire: I lived without television for over one year. Like you, i would watch DVD's o my PC and listen to the radio...and read books...and play my guitar...and write.

Looking back it was actually a magical period in my life http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Getting TV back was a total culture shock. It's garbage. I currently watch "Mythbusters" and "Man Versus Wild" on Discovery, old movies on AMC/TCM and the occasional History Channel documentary.

That comes out to maybe 5 or 6 hours per week

boxmike
02-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Computer wins here. You have to interact instead of just staring it. If you like to watch movies from a comp screen, blame yourself.
This has been a hellish weekend, I missed rerun of a helluva funny 'Frasier' because cable was advertising with free weekend and kiddo wanted to watch cartoons, and...bedchamber telly is broken. Kiddo wins, I'm a wuss I cannot tell him why would 'Frasier' be better than 'Samurai Jack'. So I gave up and came whining here.
Instead of going flying online.

Rgds,
- box

Badsight-
02-10-2007, 04:02 PM
what amazes me is how freinds & family will turn the sound off when the ads are on , but will still watch them play

tv sucks your humanity out of you! (hows that for sensationalisim!)

on a related note - internet addiction is a valid mental disease now

F0_Dark_P
02-10-2007, 04:04 PM
I cant say i really watch it that much, my girlfriend on the other hand watch it like a slave, i mostly put it on to have some background noise so i dont feel so alone :P

but sure i love to watch "Mythbusters" and "Conan O'Brien" time to time

Charos
02-10-2007, 04:08 PM
FREE YOUR MIND! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

I Gave up TV 11 years ago - A veteran in the field I guess. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

My cousin and partner threw out their TV several years ago as well.

Dont get me wrong TV CAN be a great medium but sadly as is now happening to the Web the rot sets in.

Rather than an avenue for learning these mediums become a pacifier, a means of peddling wares and grooming the next generation of consumer *****s.

It is right to be informed but to be inundated into stupor is a path to anxiety.

Give it several months and you will find over time your creativity will grow as your brain wakes up from its TV induced sloth like state.

II_JG1.Priller
02-10-2007, 04:17 PM
I also watch very little TV these days, I spend way more time on the computer. We did some work on the house and went with out TV for over a week. My girlfriend was having withdrawl and keep beating on my to get it setup, I was having a harder time not having my computer set up.

papotex
02-10-2007, 04:21 PM
yep totally agree, only 5% of whats on tv is worth your time.

I wish i could pay for a cable by the channel
and not by packege.

if i could pay for say 3 channels only(discovery,history,tlc) maybe i would have money left to include military channel and others as such.

the way i see it now i pay for a package of 150 channels and i only watch 3

RCAF_Irish_403
02-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Papotex: that's been a dream of mine for years now; being able to pay per channel http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

my custom TV: Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, History Channel, Public TV, and American Movie Classics

Bearcat99
02-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Charos:
FREE YOUR MIND!

".... and you @ss will follow."
George Clinton 1970

steve_v
02-10-2007, 05:02 PM
OK then. Guess you're just going to miss the Bud Shootout tonight.

http://www.tickco.com/Images/SeatGroupMaps/51.gif

Paul_K
02-10-2007, 05:03 PM
What an encouraging thread this is..glad to see I'm not alone

In October I gave my TV to my daughter who is a student down in London, and haven't missed it for a moment. British television has become an endless rehash of formats and ideas that were already tired 5 years ago.

Thats what happens when you have loads of people doing media studies at university, and not enough doing English and learning how to knock out good stories and decent scripts.

I have high speed internet, radio, newspapers and Amazon dvd rental for the computer. I also have pubs, restaurants, and am within easy reach of London and all that great city offers.

TV can die off altogether as far as I care.

SeaFireLIV
02-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks, guys, I was expecting quite a lot of dubious and sarcastic comments, but the actual response is surprising. Perhaps this is what I was really subconscously looking for = moral support. Hearing your responses and that some of you do without has given me renewed strength. Paul_K`s response is especially helpful. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Charos wrote:
"Give it several months and you will find over time your creativity will grow as your brain wakes up from its TV induced sloth like state."

Yes, I can feel the differenece, the brain wakes up!

Charos
02-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charos:
FREE YOUR MIND!

".... and you @ss will follow."
George Clinton 1970 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Action follows thought - the body can do no less.

The mind moves the body follows.

Tully__
02-10-2007, 05:26 PM
I only have TV coz the family think it indispensible. While I do occasionally watch discovery/history or one of the movie channels, not having it wouldn't hurt at all.

Start an exercise program. The biggest impediment to regular exercise is an easy alternative time filler and TV is the worst of them. I was without TV for about 2-3 years some time ago and it's the fittest I've ever been http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

XyZspineZyX
02-10-2007, 05:27 PM
It takes quite a thing to get me to watch TV for more than a half-hour

I don't consider watching my Kurosawa or Kubrick or Carpenter films or movies in general 'watching TV'

My roomate does though. Sometimes I glance over when there's a bright change of light, or watch Jeopardy. I will also watch the Daily Show or the Colbert Report. Used to watch the Chapelle Show, funny sob

My TV intake is about 4 hours a week. I decided I ws sick of being force-fed the Abridged and Biased News. Actually the Daily Show and the Colbert Reprt are better than most of the news shows, because they are obviously making light of the news, but also presenting it in such a way that the only bias is humor, so you actually get to learn what happened

leitmotiv
02-10-2007, 05:34 PM
When I was a stone broke grad student, I went three years without a TV, and never missed it. Now I mainly use it to snatch a quick look at news, and for watching DVDs. Spend more time futzing around right here than I do watching TV, heh heh.

Bakelit
02-10-2007, 05:35 PM
I did a long reply and dumbly clicked it away, sigh. As I'm close to falling asleep on the keyboard just a short line.

Good decision. I'm not quite that strong yet although I watch less year by year. German tv itself is actually helping me as it bores me sh!tless lately. Just some movies, some comedy and the news.

You're a talented and creative person and that is a good way to overcome missing the **** box.

Lets read from more people.

flakwagen
02-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I get all my TV watching done at work. I actively watch an hour or two of shows on Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, or the History Channel. After that I usually keep it tuned to CSPAN, to provide background noise while I use the computer.

I used to watch the news, but it's become so dumbed down that I rarely bother.

Flak

Warrington_Wolf
02-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Paul_K:

Thats what happens when you have loads of people doing media studies at university, and not enough doing English and learning how to knock out good stories and decent scripts.

Christopher Eccleston said something like that in a programme about the making of Cracker (A crime drama in the UK for the non UK residents).
He was saying that gritty dramas and well told programmes cannot be made for British TV anymore because the head honchos as ITV, BBC, Channel 4 ect won't pay for actors and writers. I actually watch very little TV because its c r a p. I'm sick of seeing so called "celebs" who are famous for going on some stupid game show or some poor quality talent show.
Why can't Britain create programmes like 24, The Sopranos, Lost and Taken, these programmes are mostly mostly well written (Taken especially) and well made.
As someone else pointed out TV can have it's uses and provide entertainment but not when it is a constant bombardment of reality shows, soaps and just about any old rubbish that some lazy TV exec pulled out of his poop chute.

By the way is it just me or are there loads more adverts now than there was 15 to 20 years ago, I bring this up because I was chucking out some old VCR tapes and I decided to watch one (it was kids TV from the late 1980s/ early 1990s, I know because it had The Ghostbusters on it), the programme went off for a break there was 5 adverts and the programme was back on. Nowadays you have to wade through 10 minutes of adverts.

jensenpark
02-10-2007, 06:13 PM
we got rid of cable about 4 years ago...

found we were becoming lousy (or worse) parents...

kids were addicted, and we started using it as a babysitter.

apart from not be able to watch hockey, we all don't miss it one bit. Even the boys (6 and 8) don't care one bit. When I'm on the road and I watch it in the hotel, all the **** on just reminds my why we dumped it.

One of the better decisions we made as parents.

leitmotiv
02-10-2007, 06:33 PM
The first season of HBO's ROME was great; alas, the second season is dreadful---it's beginning to look like a big-time wrestling slapdown in togas---just a freak show with loads of S&M.

GreyFox5
02-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, I think I went the wrong way here. Lets see $1900 on 42" Plasma TV, $1400 Series 3 TiVo, $400 on AV Equipment, Spent a few hours under the house wiring up the surround sound.

Or I just like my movies too much.

Anyway TV is evil I get my news from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and regular new isn't news anymore. Who cares if some astronaut is driving 900 miles in a diaper thats not news that's National Inquirer fodder.

If that's your art in your sig then keep doing that and stop watching TV!

Cheers

Treetop64
02-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Well I don't feel so wierd anymore. I've not watched a single minute of television for nearly two years now. Not one minute. I have absolutely no familiarity with any television shows or popular commercials (or any commercials, for that matter). I've discovered that I have done tons more reading, however, and correspondingly my level of independent and critical thinking has increased.

I would never consider going back to television after being away from it for so long now, either by cable or satellite or air. Looking back on it I now see that it was a colossal waste of time and brain cells, and is nowhere near as important now as it seemed while I was watching.

You'd be surprised just how much of a mental slave one becomes to the "tube", without even suspecting it. Television is an insidious, clandestine, sneaky mental dictator.

Edit: Actually, I felt I'd better clarify: I do watch DVDs (motorsport annuals, history and documentaries, and of course - moovies! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif), and I have boxfulls of old F1 race tapes dating way back to 1992 that I watch from time to time. However, I watch no broadcast, satellite, or cable television of any kind (unless it's F1 on the Speed Channel, and that's at a freinds house!).

XyZspineZyX
02-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by GreyFox5: I get my news from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

Isn't it weird? I think I get the straighter scoop from a comedian who has a little integrity, than from news "personalities" who have a script and a knack for sensationalism

I don't confuse cinema and TV though. I spent 8 hours sitting in front of the television last summer on a miserably hot day, with cold beers, the a/c on, and all three of the "Samurai" films starring Toshiro Mifune, which tells the story of renowned swordsman Musashi Miyamoto. By all means, watch films! Culture is good

By contrst, i sepnd too much time in front of the PC, making little airplanes have little numbers on them, and then making them fly around and shoot at each other. But at least I'm researching something, contacting people and doing something creative

A friend of mine used to have Simpsons marathons, called "Simpsons till you Puke". It was a very apt name!

tigertalon
02-10-2007, 08:01 PM
I don't own the TV and I feel no need to watch it. Roommate has one and watches it few hours every day, inviting me also. I guess I just can't just sit there and accept information without having any kind of 'control'... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif. All I watch on TV is sport like one match a month, limited mostly to skiing and to ski jumping, and that only in winter. Whenever I am interested in any kind of information/news, I go and check (extremely) different sources on the topic on the net, and then shape up my own opinion, as one of the lessons I learned is that media is shaping public opinion BIG time - check sig.

Maj.Kaos
02-10-2007, 08:11 PM
I've unplugged myself from TV, radio, newspapers, and magazines. I am blissfully ignorant. I'll catch the headlines on the internet, delve further if I want to.

For me it wasn't just the spoonfed news items, the poor quality "educational" stuff on History Channel, or the pitiful drivel of network programming. It was also the relentless attempts at manipulations by the marketing agencies. I think materialism is lame.

I will read a couple of hours a day on the internet, skipping the garbage. I turn off the activeX to avoid the stupid marketing gimmecks.

I care what happens in the world (BS in History) but I don't like the spin that news reporters put on it to make it more emotional or interesting to us. Very, very few writers scope in on the actual cause or meaning of the events.

My daughter won't have a tv to watch as she grows up. She'll have a father and mother to spend a lot of time with her, in the real world.

sukebeboy
02-10-2007, 09:15 PM
I haven't had a TV for 6 years now and don't miss it at all. Of course I live in Japan and they have, bar none, the most ******ed TV shows on the planet. Sure, some of them are amusing for their novelty value, but the vast majority are a bunch of B list "celebrities" going on cooking shows and competing with each other to see who can squeal "delicious!!" it the most over the top way.

Anyway, if there are shows I want to see from back home, a PC and BitTorrent do the trick just fine.

Targ
02-10-2007, 09:28 PM
I was TV free for many years and could care less about it. But it is needed anymore as the cable company bundles unlimited bandwidth with the cable packages http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif
Or they limit your bandwidth and in this day and age it's easy to go over 10 gigs a month. Funny thing is I still only watch maybe 2-3 hours of TV a week and some weeks none at all.

perthswimmer
02-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I hardly ever watch tv anymore ( i make an exception for the Sopranos). I thought tv in the UK was bad enough, but here in Australia its just diabolical. Im just about old enough to remember the pre-Rupert Murdoch Sky/Foxtel days, when programmers where less concerned about engaging in a ratings war, and more concerned about doing some decent groundbreaking stuff.
It seems ironic that when many people hold up America as the land of trash culture ,the only tv that generally is well written, exciting and risk taking is American ( think Sopranos, Deadwood, Lost, Carnivale, The Shield, The Wire).
Thank gawd for HBO is all i can say.

Swivet
02-11-2007, 01:14 AM
Kill your TV, it's mind control by big brother, and makes you commit consumerism at it's worst...Yes the tv can help keepa screaming brat (young and old alike) busy for a few minutes, but it's still mindless junk...Enjoy your art, your walk, your anything besides the tv......Stay away from all News, Sitcoms and the blasted Oxygen Channell http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

AWL_Spinner
02-11-2007, 01:32 AM
If yer in the UK Seafire, that also equates to a saving of 120 a year or whatever it is these days for a TV license. Which'll pay for a new graphics card annually!

Although you'll still get the goons hounding you for money as they don't believe anyone could actually survive without a TV and therefore must be lying if they say they do. But they have no power to inspect your home unless invited, so tell them to **** ***.

I'd gladly get rid of the TV, but the missus wouldn't let me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Akronnick
02-11-2007, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by AWL_Spinner:
If yer in the UK Seafire, that also equates to a saving of 120 a year or whatever it is these days for a TV license. Which'll pay for a new graphics card annually!

Although you'll still get the goons hounding you for money as they don't believe anyone could actually survive without a TV and therefore must be lying if they say they do. But they have no power to inspect your home unless invited, so tell them to **** ***.

I'd gladly get rid of the TV, but the missus wouldn't let me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

You have to have a license to watch television?

That's just, ... that's just wrong!

Akronnick
02-11-2007, 02:06 AM
That's like having to pay taxes on beer and cigarettes,... oh that's right,

timholt
02-11-2007, 02:31 AM
TV - I watch on an average 2 hours a week. Mind you I won't go into how many hours I IL2 a week.

Pig_Mac
02-11-2007, 03:28 AM
My old TV started smoking and sounding strange, so i unplugged it and lived without a TV for a little more then 2 years. I didn't miss it at all.

But my mom bought herself a new TV and asked me if I wanted the old one before she tossed it out, sadly I said yes, and brought the monster back home. I nowadays use TV 1 hour a day for the two simpsons episodes, before I turn it off. Then put on a good episode of MST3K and try to fall asleep with a smile on my face. (it's getting harder every day since I've seen all the episodes more then 20 times by now)

ytareh
02-11-2007, 03:33 AM
Yeah I think most of you guys apart from Tim Holt have missed the point here .....THIS SIM/GAME is the crack cocaine to TVs marijuana....if you know what I mean ....
Sure some people will watch tv for 3,4 or 5 hours a night but there are so many people on Hyperlobby for what almost seems 24/7.After a while hopping in and out of different servers thinking 'Man hes still on Hyperlobby that dude should get a life....!' I quickly realised I WAS THAT DUDE.....(Mind you Im still nowhere near the legendary 24hrs+ marathons some guys profess to...)
IL2 replaced 95% of TV time for me-pity I havent kept up the sports as Tully refers to with the 'freed up' time.
The one consolation and I guess part explanation for the monster gaming marathons is that apparently when gaming your brain is being far more exercised than watching TV to the point that you dont actually get tired .Believe it or not!!!???

RCAF_Irish_403
02-11-2007, 05:17 AM
To recap my position (not that it counts for much)

TV=Garbage
Film=Art
News=Fearmongering+Celebraties
Stewert/Colbert=News

otpisan
02-11-2007, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by AWL_Spinner:

I have a similar situation, with a bit of sugar coating - TV is being repaired at the moment, it started on friday, might be as quick as tuesday, though I tend to see it as more of a friday... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Had a beautiful TV-free life for 2 years, 2004-2006. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

One has at least a bit of control over one's own free-time when there is no TV around, IMHO.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Monty_Thrud
02-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Dude, i haven't watched TV on a regular basis since this SIM came out 6 years ago, the only time i watch it is if theres a heads up on the forums about a good movie/program...i cannot remember the last time i watched TV, i buy all my favourite series and films, World at War,War in the Air,The War files series,films, BlackAdder, Carry on films, Monty Python, etc dvd is wonderful. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Philipscdrw
02-11-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm a student. One of my housemates has a TV but I never watch it (if I did, she'd probably expect me to contribute to the license fee - stuff that!!). Last year I was lodging with a family for whom the main source of entertainment was the TV, watching Eastenders, Celebrity Big Brother, and sports. I would watch BBC Parliament during the day sometimes, just to marvel at the banal complexity of politics...

When my family got cable I stopped watching TV! Before, you'd check the listings and go and watch a program because it was the only opportunity you'd get to watch that program all week. With cable, you can watch that show/series at any time you like, so there's no incentive to watch it now, so I didn't watch it at all!

Anyway who needs TV to waste your time when there's perfectly good forums available?

Flying_Nutcase
02-11-2007, 08:08 AM
I usually watch the box over an extended dinner. While, it's a nice idea to dump it, there's often good stuff that I would miss like military docos and a couple of entertaining series like House and Nip/Tuck. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I watch them with a few friends and it's usually a good laugh.

A few years ago I chose to go without TV and it was a good experience. It's the ads that seem to be the evil part, especially the damned volume!

BaldieJr
02-11-2007, 12:10 PM
In 6 months you'll be looking at a TV somewhere and thinking "How do they get away with this?".

In a year you'll look at it somewhere and get physically ill.

In two years it occurs to you that taking down the broadcast towers are your first priority should some catastrophe throw society into chaos.

So if you're in KY and you live near a radio/TV tower consider selling out before the Apocalypse http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

BillyTheKid_22
02-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by steve_v:
OK then. Guess you're just going to miss the Bud Shootout tonight.

http://www.tickco.com/Images/SeatGroupMaps/51.gif

LoL!! Nascar!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DuxCorvan
02-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by BillyTheKid_22:

http://www.bustedtees.com/bt/images/BT-boringnascar-gallery-6.jpg

BillyTheKid_22
02-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillyTheKid_22:

http://www.bustedtees.com/bt/images/BT-boringnascar-gallery-6.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why boring!!!! No plm !!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.race2win.net/images/logos/06/nascarday.gif

RCAF_Irish_403
02-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by BaldieJr:
In 6 months you'll be looking at a TV somewhere and thinking "How do they get away with this?".

In a year you'll look at it somewhere and get physically ill.

In two years it occurs to you that taking down the broadcast towers are your first priority should some catastrophe throw society into chaos.

So if you're in KY and you live near a radio/TV tower consider selling out before the Apocalypse http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Best post of the thread yet http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif