PDA

View Full Version : Is there a random/Dynamic campaign generator out there that's better than the stock

Shrap
03-04-2005, 01:09 AM
one?

If so can I get a link?

DD_NL
03-04-2005, 01:58 AM
Yes there is:

http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php

Shrap
03-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Thx bud.

Is there one for PF?

DuxCorvan
03-04-2005, 01:59 PM
If you have merged version, that's the one. If not, you may ask Lowengrin.

JunkoIfurita
03-04-2005, 04:47 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that Lowengrin's DCG 'kind-of' works with stand-alone, too.

Just as long as you don't try and select anything from the Eastern Front, then you shouldn't get too many errors.

And you never know, if you ask Lowengrin, he just might make a restricted release - he's pretty open to suggestions.

----

fordfan25
03-04-2005, 05:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DD_NL:
Yes there is:

http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have a dumb qustion. how do i down load that. i see it on the web page but there is no download tab that i can find.

never mind i found it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

fordfan25
03-04-2005, 05:25 PM
ok how the heck do i install this thing. i read the install instructions and thay were not very helpfull for me. it says to set paths and stuff but i dont understand how to.

mortoma
03-04-2005, 05:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fordfan25:
ok how the heck do i install this thing. i read the install instructions and thay were not very helpfull for me. it says to set paths and stuff but i dont understand how to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's the problem with DCG, it's hard to figure out and it's not self-explanatory at all. Generally not too user-friendly overall. I quite using it ages ago.
One time I did something in the DCG software, ( I have no idea what to this day ) and it promptly deleted all the campaigns I had going at the time. If you do the slightest thing wrong
or click on the wrong thing at the wrong time, it's all over. Lowengrin should start all over from scratch if you ask me.
Dgen may not be perfect but it's hard to mess it up and after you learn all the things you can hack in the Dgen files and folders to make it better, it's actually not too bad. I'd rather hack and edit files in Dgen any day than even mess with DCG!!!!
Sincerely,
A DCG hater

fordfan25
03-04-2005, 05:36 PM
were can i learn to do that. also i remember there being something else kinda like a program that you could use to change the nuber of planes and mission leangth ect. i forget what it was called.

JunkoIfurita
03-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Here's a simple way to install DCG - it's fairly easy to use once you get past the complete lack of documentation.

1. Create a directory wherever you like (I usually put it inside my IL2FB folder) named 'DCG', and copy the contents of the .zip into it.
2. Run the program il2dcg.exe - it will ask you to give the location of il2dcg.exe (there is no installer, so it needs to know where you copied the files), browse the location and select it. Then it will ask for the location of your il2fb.exe, browse to the location then select it.
3. Now you have a choice - you say you're using DCG for offline play only, so you can use it in two ways. The easy way or the hard way. Either way, the first thing to do is go to the 'mode' menu and select Auto Generation (Single Player Career) from the list.

Now for the easy way, you then select the 'replace in-game generator (Dgen)' from the same 'mode' menu. DCG backs up your original DGen.exe and replaces it with the DCG one. If you deselect that option, it automatically puts things back the way they were. Now you can run IL2/PF as normal, select a single player career, and choose from any of the 'DCG' careers that are now available in the list. You don't even need to have DCG running. I've played many a campaign just like that, simple and easy, with no further changes. Tweaking the campaign is another story...

The slightly more difficult way is not to use the DGen replacement - in this method, you leave DCG open, and switch out of Sturmovik at the close of each mission to create new mission in the campaign. With the ease of DGen replacement, this method is obsolete.

You've now got a full set of dynamic campaigns to play with (things you do, matter. Destroying trains, tanks, even oil barrels or factories have an effect on the campaign that lasts much longer than just 'for the length of the game day'. Tweaking DCG so you are flying the aircraft, missions and quantities you want is a bit more involved - if you're interested I can post on that, so let me know.

One thing, though - because of the dynamics of the DCG grand campaign, sometimes you'll change the front/map at a non-historical date, but as you get updated planes in your squadron only by historical dates, you may want to change this manually (for example, the Polish 39 campaign changes to a much later front after it plays out, but as the invasion of poland only took a few days (or weeks in DCG), you'll go onto this later map with the p11c aircraft, not a good idea. So you simply select the 'Squadron Editor Panel' (4th icon from the left) once you've run DCG (it'll automatically detect which campaign you've just been running), make sure the squadron selected is the single player squadron (your name will appear in the pilot list), then select a new aircraft from the 'aircraft' drop down list. If you want to know which would be the historical upgrade, select 'Aircraft Class Settings' (rightmost icon), choose your aircraft in the drop down list, and it should show you the default upgrade.

There's a lot more to DCG, it's a powerful tool, but this should get you started nicely.

Cheers,
Junko 'Kimura' Ifurita

----