PDA

View Full Version : Kamikaze letters

Tvrdi
01-30-2005, 05:21 PM
http://www.geocities.co.jp/WallStreet-Stock/6210/isyo.html

http://www.wfu.edu/users/rivegl1/asia-pacific/lastsortie.htm

3.JG51_BigBear
01-30-2005, 05:33 PM
I've seen the first link before and many others. These letters are some of the saddest things to read. These were honorable and intelligent men who were giving their lives in defense of their home and their families. With soldiers life and death are uncertainties but in the case of the Kamikaze pilot it was definitely a one way ride. They accepted their fates with little to no outward unncertainty so as not to disturb their families or disgrace their honor. These were a truly an exceptional breed of men driven by a culture that I for one will never fully be able to understand.

Treetop64
01-30-2005, 09:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
I've seen the first link before and many others. These letters are some of the saddest things to read. These were honorable and intelligent men who were giving their lives in defense of their home and their families. With soldiers life and death are uncertainties but in the case of the Kamikaze pilot it was definitely a one way ride. They accepted their fates with little to no outward unncertainty so as not to disturb their families or disgrace their honor. These were a truly an exceptional breed of men driven by a culture that I for one will never fully be able to understand. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't have said it better myself...

LEBillfish
01-30-2005, 09:23 PM
True, it's funny how they were viewed and even spoken of here as though they were somehow being dishonorable/cheating at war.....

Truth be told if an american pilot had done the same to the carrier delivering the pearl harbor planes, he'd of been thought of as a hero.

Same Same....Simply desperate people doing all they could to defend their homeland. The people, not the leaders.

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-31-2005, 07:18 AM
Compelling reading if sad. Thx.

TB

Amon26
01-31-2005, 07:33 AM
It's a scary thought. For a government to be able to directly sacrafice these brave men for what was thought to be the better good.

We look back at how cruel and wasteful it was. But honestly, given the right situation and the right spin. This could happen again

Blackdog5555
01-31-2005, 09:18 AM
Amon26..Hello...It is happening today!! (do you have a television/watch the news about suicide bombings) LOL. (just teasing) But you are right ..it was the government, top military men who were running the country found these teenagers to con into sacrificing their lives.( you dont see any 40 year old kamakazis) All that phoney Bushido code and "dying for the Emperor is the greatest achievement" hussle so the the top men could could negotiate for a better deal. And they did it without the promise of Seven Virgin in Heaven.. Cruel, Pathetic and horrible are the word that I think of. Militarily, Kamakazi did do significant damage. Didnt stop the invasion but the damage caused by the Kamakazi but was a factor in the decision to use the "Bomb". I am impressed by the eloquent (sp) style of the letters. very pathetic.

FF_Trozaka
01-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Blackdog,
i certainly hope you are not comparing kamikaze pilots to present day arab suicide bombers. While japanese kamikaze pilots did instill terror (by design or by chance) in US Naval personnel, to their credit they confined their targets to military ones.
IMO there is nothing honorable or heroic in blowing up civilian men women and children in a terrorist act no matter how firm your beliefs are.

Raptor_20thFG
01-31-2005, 03:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blackdog5555:
Amon26..Hello...It is happening today!! (do you have a television/watch the news about suicide bombings) LOL. (just teasing) But you are right ..it was the government, top military men who were running the country found these teenagers to con into sacrificing their lives.( you dont see any 40 year old kamakazis) All that phoney Bushido code and "dying for the Emperor is the greatest achievement" hussle so the the top men could could negotiate for a better deal. And they did it without the promise of Seven Virgin in Heaven.. Cruel, Pathetic and horrible are the word that I think of. Militarily, Kamakazi did do significant damage. Didnt stop the invasion but the damage caused by the Kamakazi but was a factor in the decision to use the "Bomb". I am impressed by the eloquent (sp) style of the letters. very pathetic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had to comment on this you see I was an american solider who served in afgahanistan And I have seen these suicide bombings very up close and personell Please for the sake of all my friends and soliders that have been lost to these attacks do not jest about them there is nothing honarable about these attacks.

As for the topic at hand good read some of those letters are veryu sad.

Raptor_20thFG
01-31-2005, 03:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blackdog5555:
Amon26..Hello...It is happening today!! (do you have a television/watch the news about suicide bombings) LOL. (just teasing) But you are right ..it was the government, top military men who were running the country found these teenagers to con into sacrificing their lives.( you dont see any 40 year old kamakazis) All that phoney Bushido code and "dying for the Emperor is the greatest achievement" hussle so the the top men could could negotiate for a better deal. And they did it without the promise of Seven Virgin in Heaven.. Cruel, Pathetic and horrible are the word that I think of. Militarily, Kamakazi did do significant damage. Didnt stop the invasion but the damage caused by the Kamakazi but was a factor in the decision to use the "Bomb". I am impressed by the eloquent (sp) style of the letters. very pathetic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had to comment on this you see I was an american solider who served in afgahanistan And I have seen these suicide bombings very up close and personell Please for the sake of all my friends and soliders that have been lost to these attacks do not jest about them there is nothing honarable about these attacks.

As for the topic at hand good read some of those letters are very sad.