PDA

View Full Version : Start on Carrier

Hydra0104
12-03-2004, 02:37 PM
I have been playing with the FMB trying to start on the deck of a carrier. I must be missing something. I open the map, park a carrier and add an aircraft to the carrier. I set the aircraft to takoff and add a waypoint out in the distance. At this point I don't care where the plane goes after takeoff. Just want it to start from the carrier.

Thanks for your help,

Nebula

Opiate364
12-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Set the aircraft carrier as a target

conkris
12-03-2004, 03:18 PM
You have to set the 1st waypoint off the carrier, set the plane to "takeoff"...then click the target button (in waypoint tab),you will see a green line with a circle...using the mouse, move the circle over the carrier...left click....the carrier name will now appear as the target. Do the same for landing, by placing the last aircraft waypoint (set to landing) near, but not on the carrier...and again set the carrier as the "target"

Enjoy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

heywooood
12-03-2004, 06:35 PM
maybe this instruction - along with one or two others should be made stickie?....instead of lost in a FAQ thread or the friggin' readme...no?

Hydra0104
12-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Conkris

I tried just what you said and it still starts in the air. This is getting maddening! I place the carrier. I give it a waypoint. I then add the aircraft. I locate it about half a grid behind the carrier. I select Takeoff and click Set and choose carrier. Name shows in box. I click save the mission and then click play. Plane starts in the air. BTW, I have version 3.00. Is there an update I should have? Also, can a camera be mounted on the carrier to watch the landings from the ship itself?

Thanks a ton!

Doug

heywooood
12-03-2004, 09:59 PM
hmmmm...that should work.

place your carrier and set its waypoints...

select your flight and place the icon near the carrier...select 'takeoff'.. select 'target set'

move the reticle onto the carrier and left mouse click to select..

then place the next waypoint for your flight, and so on...

For landing waypoint - set the last waypoint near the carrier, select 'landing' and then 'target set' on the carrier again...

For carriers that are under weigh, you must set the carrier waypoint time to correspond to your flights last (landing) waypoint time, so they are all in the same place at the same time.

VF51_Flatspin
12-03-2004, 10:48 PM
You should probably also place a "home base" on the carrier after placing the carrier.

As for the camera, "static camera" is a choice in the main pulldown of the objects menu. Play around with setting alt. to your preference.

Hydra0104
12-06-2004, 06:24 AM
Well, it seems it just flat doesn't work. In fact, I loaded a pre-canned training flight that came on the disc called something like "Carrier Takeoff" and it even starts in the air.

Maybe reloading might help. Will let you know. Anyway, thanks for all your input!

MrMoonlight
12-06-2004, 06:34 AM
If you've set up the initial waypoint as "Takeoff" in the mission builder and you still start in the air, then make sure "Takeoffs and Landings" is enabled in your "Difficulty" settings.

Soapy_112th
12-06-2004, 06:42 AM
Check "Takeoff and landings" in your game difficulty setting mate, no matter what you do with your mission, your games settings over ride it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hydra0104
12-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Mr. Moonlight,

That's a great idea! That could be my problem. I'll let you all know.

Thanks again!

Hydra0104
12-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Mr. Moonlight,

That did the trick! Wow, I'd of never thought of that one. Thanks a bunch! I was able to figure out I had to remove the wheel chocks on my own. I'm gettin good! lol

Thanks again!

conkris
12-06-2004, 09:27 PM
I thought about the "takeoffs and landing" settings, but assumed they were "on". http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif Guess that's what happens when we assume. Glad you got it working.

Hydra0104
12-07-2004, 06:22 AM
conkris,

Don't sweat it. When I first got the game, I could barely keep the thing in the air! Stalls and spins and shakes.... man it was a pain. So I turned all that stuff off to start with. Then I got busy with FMB and forgot all about it. It's cool it works now tho.

MrQBerrt
12-23-2004, 12:55 PM
How do you set a carrier as a homebase? I click homebase in object view, then I CTRL-Click the carrier (Be it static or not) and it doesn't do anything. Unless there is a land based runway around, in that case the FMB puts the homebase under the closest land based runway. What it never does is put the homebase on the ship.

Soapy_112th
12-23-2004, 02:52 PM
I've never used a CV as a homebase ever, as long it's Blue/Red and my flight is the same, it is the respective home base for that flight.

Use the "set" function to make it your plane's Takeoff waypoint originator and you don't need the "homebase" setting.

WTE_Dukayn
12-23-2004, 03:33 PM
uh, you don't use Home Bases in coops...which, as we're talking about Waypoints, I'm assuming he's making.

but for dogfights, yes putting a Home Base on a carrier does work. It has to be static though, as DF's don't support moving vehicles.

Docjonel
12-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Talk about feeling stupid!
For the longest time I couldn't get a FMB mission to start on an aircraft carrier. I set the takeoff point, clicked on the carrier as the target, and still no luck. Dummy that I am, I literally zoomed in and clicked on the carrier image, but NOT on the NAME of the ship. So don't get caught being as stupid as I was-- you shouldn't just click on the carrier itself, but on the identification label attached to the carrier. Sometimes my stupidity impresses even me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif