XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 02:54 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 02:54 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 02:57 PM
Yep, probably the most interesting read about P-47.

<center> http://www.stormbirds.com/images/discussion-main.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 02:59 PM
ok?

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 03:08 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, the always entertaining P-47. Bf-109 bonfires at no extra cost.

Enemy Tactics Left Them Smoking
1st Lt. Kenneth W. Dougherty Bombing Raid
Lockyear Yellow Germany -

I was leading Lockyear Yellow Flight on withdrawal support to the first division of our big friends. We made rendezvous with one box of bombers who were well covered by another group. We left them for two more boxes which we spotted about 30 miles to the northeast.

Just as we approached them, Blue Flight leader spotted a straggler below firing green flares and under attack by e/a. I saw four 109s at 9 o''clock low on me, flying a beautiful P-47 formation. They were swinging around to take another crack at the crippled B-17. I bounced them and they hit for the deck. My altitude at this time was 22,000 feet. I followed them down, and as they were turning to the left all the time, I closed quite rapidly.

As they hit the deck, the element swung wide and slightly behind me. I kept after the first two. I expected my element leader to take the enemy element. I fired a five second burst at 800 yards at the No. 2 man, hoping to make him turn so I could close more readily. However he still continued a slight turn to the left. At this time I discovered that my flight had lost me. To make matters worse, two more 109s started coming in on my left. This left me two 109s ahead and two on each side, slightly below and behind. I saw that they were too far away for accurate shooting, and they couldn''t pull proper deflection, so I closed to about 400 yards on the two ahead and fired again on the No. 2 man - this time observing strikes on the left wing root, fuselage, and right radiator.

I fired several bursts more and he started streaming glycol and white smoke and started rolling over on his back at an altitude of 50 feet. By this time the 109s on my right were in firing position and firing, so I broke directly over the top of them trying to force them into the ground-they didn''t bluff. I then broke left on the two on my right and tried the same trick. Again it didn''t work, but it did put me behind all of them. I glanced back to see if the one I had shot had crashed, but observed nothing as I was below a slight hill and too far distant.

I picked another e/a and started in on him. I was firing at long range, 800 yards, because if I closed to 300 yards it would put the other 109s behind me again. I fired several bursts and observed hits on the left wing, fuselage and right wing root. Again I hit the glycol lines and white smoke poured out. The 109s on my right chopped throttle and attempted to get behind me. I was forced to break off and turn into them. This time they scattered and I resumed my attack. closing to 250 yards and observed more hits when I ran out of ammunition.

During this last engagement we flew across a town below the church steeple: the e/a was too low to turn without hitting his wing on the ground: the only evasive action taken was violent skidding. When I left this e/a he was smoking heavily and his speed was greatly reduced. In my opinion he never reached base, but crashed shortly afterwards. Air speed during engagement was 350 mph at altitudes of 25 to 100 feet.

I did not consider the enemy tactics a being of very high quality. If they had pulled up they could have gotten me easily. Instead they tried to out run me. They were camouflaged grey green with yellow spinners and rudders.

I was highly pleaded with the performance of my plane. When I broke off and zoomed up into a climb, I indicated from 3500-4000 feet per minute at 230 miles per hour. I was drawing 57 inches, 2700 rpm with water injection and paddle prop.

I came home alone, and on inspection of the plane, I discovered that it had been hit six places by 20 mm fragments.
------------------------------------------------------------
from http://www.p47pilots.com/cfm_ThereIWas.cfm?pageMode=VIEW&storyid=32

Good hunting,
Cajun76

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle