PDA

View Full Version : Poll: IL2 - Is your computer good enough?

TheFamilyMan
08-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Upgrade lately? Still waiting for the final word on SoW:BoB to do so? Or are you just content (or stuck) with your current computer. Chime in on where you're at.

For me IL-2 runs like a dream: heavy amounts of eyecandy, AI and puffy clouds on perfect cause no problems anywhere...bring on SoW:BoB!

danjama
08-24-2010, 05:31 PM

waffen-79
08-24-2010, 05:42 PM
IL-2 rips; not so sure about SoW:BoB

indeed, the only game on my PC that doesn't run as I'd like to is ArmA 2, on chernarus, but on the ported arma 1 islands runs pretty well

WTE_Galway
08-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by TheFamilyMan:
Upgrade lately? Still waiting for the final word on SoW:BoB to do so?

Any one with sense is waiting to see what the 32 nm Sandy Bridge looks like before upgrading at the moment.

Jaws2002
08-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Il-2 is an old game. Not really chalanging for a computer built in the last three-four years.

ElAurens
08-24-2010, 09:19 PM
IL2 is easy.

Modded SH4 is more difficult, but I still run it maxed out.

ArmA2 Operation Arrowhead requires pulling some things back, view distance in particular. those that suggest ArmA II as an example for SoW's ground detail are crazy. It will never work in a flight sim.

Stiletto-
08-24-2010, 10:08 PM
If your computer doesn't run IL-2 well, you are either completely broke or just holding on to the good old days.

woofiedog
08-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Can run IL-2 with a aircraft boost from Uberdemon with no problems.

But running SoW:BoB will be a very different Beast indeed! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/IL2%20Photos/1805201016-38-26.jpg

Romanator21
08-24-2010, 11:47 PM
On my laptop I can't run Il-2 maxed out and still get good frame rates. I play with landscape geometry at its lowest setting (looks the same at over 1000 meters) and get decent frame-rates.

But hey, if anyone wants to make a donation... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

triad773
08-25-2010, 01:17 PM
With all the mods I have it takes a couple of minutes to load. Otherwise, it runs great with all effects.

Once in a while I pick up another 'eye candy' type game just to make her breath harder http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

but otherwise still enjoying IL-2 full-bore on the same hard drive as I started with 7 years ago (but everything else is pretty new: video card (8 mos old), processor (1.5 yrs old), etc.

SoW? It will take an i-7, Windows 7 64 bit, and maybe a server farm for proper frame rendering rates http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

I can wait for now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BillSwagger
08-25-2010, 04:32 PM
i said my computer runs Il2 adequately.
The integrated graphics are really where the bottle neck is, otherwise i could probably upgrade to get more out of it.
For an out of the box lap top, id say it runs it much better than i expected. Usually its modded versions that give it hic ups, but stock runs much smoother.

I'd be very surprised to see a computer on the market that could run SOW at max settings.

Publishers always show recommended and minimum requirements, and i've learned to never rely on the minimum requirements if you actual want to enjoy the game.

FishCookie
08-25-2010, 11:01 PM
SOW will be the only reason for me to make my next upgrade what I have now handles IL2 UP2.1, FC2 and DCS Blackshark with AA and AF set at 4, which is all that matters at the mo. I forsee horrible stutters on merging and flying low over towns and villages, London should make for some interesting slide shows.
My rig:-E8400,
4Gb RAM,
ATI 4850 and Seagate generic HDD

TheCrux
08-25-2010, 11:26 PM
I'd mark me down as adequate as well. 7 year old PC on XP but with the best AGP graphics card and plenty of RAM ( and a good PSU ) though the original motherboard and 1.6 processor is surely my bottleneck. Plays "OK" with everything maxed out except perfect water. By "OK" I mean not laggy as long as a server doesn't get carried away with the objects, just for objects sake. ( I fully expect some to put pink flamingos and a bird-bath at an airfield )

I am of modest means and just cannot afford to buy or build a new rig right now, and I'd like to be able to upgrade my CPU, but I doubt it's possible given my old Mobo and the Windows "3 strikes and you're out" rule ( I've already changed 2 hardrives ).

I'm just having fun till the fun ends...be it the death of the IL-2 online community or my PC going Tango Uniform.

Mercanario
08-26-2010, 05:27 AM
I can run Il2 easily, with FSX i have some stuttering issues flying low, not optimistic about SOW:BOB with my current setup.

mortoma
08-28-2010, 05:22 PM
I have a pretty powerful rig based on Asus P6T deluze V2 mobo and an Intel i7 Extreme 965 processor.

I only plan to upgrade my EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 to a newer Nvidia and my Corsair PC3-8500F RAM to this:

Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048MB), DHX

Right now I'm overclocking my 1333Mhz RAM to 1600Mhz but it's not as stable as it should be. Once my minor upgrade is done I should be good to go for SOW at the highest settings. If not, I'll turn the settings down a notch.

x6BL_Brando
08-29-2010, 12:00 PM
the Windows "3 strikes and you're out" rule ( I've already changed 2 hardrives ).

I've heard of this many times, but never had a flicker from any Windows OS that I've owned or worked on. Since I had my current rig I've upgraded the cpu, added two hard-drives as main, OS-bearing drives, and upgraded my graphics card. Never a whisper from Windows.....

ROXunreal
08-29-2010, 03:18 PM
On a 256mb Gf 8600 GTS I used to run it on everything full on a normal monitor, now with widescreen I have to turn perfect landscape off. Clouds also give em some trouble with UP2 but only when I use zoom view.

Buying a new graphics card for SOW BOB

Old_Canuck
08-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Should be able to answer this soon when the OS is installed on my new rig. Core features: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard, i7 980 processor, 12 gigs Corsair Dominator, GTX 480, Corsair AX1200 psu. There's room for two more video cards and water cooling if needed. Shouldn't be any need for overclocking but it's an option.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Magic 8 ball says....Uncertain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/Thunderbolt56/8ball.jpg

I've got an i7 system clocked within an inch of its life with gobs of RAM, a couple lightning-fast drives and a b!tchin GPU, but the jury's still out on the hardware requirements of SoW.

PhantomKira
08-31-2010, 10:13 AM
I'd have to say good to great, but not so sure about SOW. I, too, have an 8600GTS, and I suspect it of being a chokepoint in the system. ArmA, IL2, and SH4 run great on a standard monitor.

My Rig:

Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard
AMD-6000+ Dual core processor
3 GB DDR2 RAM
8600GTS with 512MB

Beirut
09-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Just installed Win7 64-bit and another 2GB of RAM. Looking forward to re-installing IL2. Maybe tomorrow. Ran well enough before, should be a bit better now. I hope.

SoW... who knows?

E6700
4GB Corsair RAM
8800GTS 640MB Video

All stuffed into a sweet Anted 900 case. I love my Antec 900 case. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

mortoma
09-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Beirut:
Just installed Win7 64-bit and another 2GB of RAM. Looking forward to re-installing IL2. Maybe tomorrow. Ran well enough before, should be a bit better now. I hope.

SoW... who knows?

E6700
4GB Corsair RAM
8800GTS 640MB Video

All stuffed into a sweet Anted 900 case. I love my Antec 900 case. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Well, on my PC IL2 runs a tiny bit better on Win XP 32-bit than it does in Win 7 64-bit. And you probably won't see any help from an additional 2 gigs of RAM either. Sorry to break it to ya. IL2, even in mod form, does not need any more than 1 or 2 gigs. It's the graphics card power and processor speed that really make a difference. But much above 3Ghz processor speed, there's not much noticeable increase in game performance.

But that extra RAM will help you in SOW for sure. Windows 7 64 should help you with SOW too. But DX9/OpenGL games like IL2 don't benefit.
And IL2 runs in 32 bit anyway, even in a 64 bit environment.

Stiletto-
09-06-2010, 09:40 PM
It is advised to get the extra 2 gigs of ram for the Operating System itself, not necessarily for IL-2, but running Windows 7 64 bit is going to be using more system resources than XP 32bit. Yes you might not see a huge upgrade in performance running IL-2 Win7 but you might get a downgrade from XP if you only run it on 2 gigs.

You never know though. While IL-2 wasn't designed for multicores and 64bit processors, running your background apps such as joystick profilers and Track IR's on the others on Windows 64 bit architecture and being able to see and use 4 gigs of ram instead of 2 might make it run a bit smoother.

Overall, I think Windows 7 is worth it in itself the upgrade from XP if you have hardware to run it. Just surfing the web and multi-tasking apps their is a huge perofmance difference outside the realm of gaming. And yes, almost all new games run alot better in Windows 7, such will be the case obviously with BoB.

rfxcasey
09-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Did some testing this weekend. Put together an old single core P4 2.5Ghz system using ATA HDD, 1.5Gigs of DDR, an Asus BX motherboard and a Leadtek Geforce 4 ti4400 with 128Megs. The only video settings I changed were resolution from 1680x1050 to 1024x768 as I was using an old CRT I have laying around and those video setting specific to Nvidia and not ATI. Running The Black Death demo the framerates were very close to my current modern machine and averaged around 60 fps. The choke points were still in the same areas but very close to a modern machine. I don't think resolution weights much on this as I have tried all different ones on my current computer during testing along with every combination of video settings and it made very little if any difference.

The couple of things I can note are this. Setting effect to 0 in the conf.ini had little visual impact and provided a performance boost even when using the Effects High mod. I don't know what it is about the games native effects settings but they don't seem to be optimized very well.

Another thing that had a positive effect on framerates while causing minimal visual degradation was setting TexMipFilter= to 1 instead of 2 in the conf.ini.

The last thing that seems to have a small but noticable framerate difference is View distance. 3 is somewhat better visually but 2 does seem to increase framerates a little bit.

Other than that nothing I have tried during testing has had what you might call a significant or noticeable effect on framerates whether we're talking mods or graphics settings.

Beirut
09-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by mortoma:Well, on my PC IL2 runs a tiny bit better on Win XP 32-bit than it does in Win 7 64-bit. And you probably won't see any help from an additional 2 gigs of RAM either. Sorry to break it to ya. IL2, even in mod form, does not need any more than 1 or 2 gigs. It's the graphics card power and processor speed that really make a difference. But much above 3Ghz processor speed, there's not much noticeable increase in game performance.

But that extra RAM will help you in SOW for sure. Windows 7 64 should help you with SOW too. But DX9/OpenGL games like IL2 don't benefit.
And IL2 runs in 32 bit anyway, even in a 64 bit environment.

Thanks for the info.

The 64-bit and extra 2GB of RAM do help with FSX, that's for sure. I guess with Il2 it's like chicken soup for a cold; might not help but certainly won't hurt. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

My next step is to up the CPU from an E6700 to a 9650 quad core (that's as far as my mother board will go). According to the specs at tomshardware it should make a good difference.

After that, I figure I wait a year or so and rip out the insides and get a new MB, CPU and video card. I figure if I'm a year or two behind the times, I can still have a good rig and one I can afford.

(But I'm keeping my Antec 900 case.)

* Just noticed you registered two days before I did in 2002. I guess that makes us a couple of old farts. My post count should be around 1600 but it got slashed in half a year or two ago and I never figured out why.