PDA

View Full Version : Expanding online dynamic campaign options: dedicated server patch...

Jeronimo83
05-23-2004, 04:10 AM
Hello, I posted this thread at the simhq forum some time ago, but didn't get much response. I was hoping more people here would understand what I'm talking about. Perhaps some server admins could comment.

Hi,

I have to say that I'm very much enjoying the dynamic campaign feature (ODC) that came with AEP and BOE. However, I have trouble finding coop games on Hyperlobby sporting these campaigns. When you think of it, it's not that strange that there are hardly any people that run ODC servers.

The power of the ODC lies in a couple of things. Of course, the battles are always near-historical which attracts most players. But most of all it is a 'continuous' war; when a mission is ended, the game automatically loads a new mission, which is based on the previous.

These are all downright awesome ingredients. However, the downside of the ODC has always been that the players which disconnect from the game, are not replaced by new ones, as with dogfight servers, resulting in a couple of missions long campaign, ending up with a number of players not even near the number that the campaign was started with. In other words, as missions follow each other up, players drop off.

I have always asked myself why oh why players are not able to join a ODC coop game after it has started. This way, players that disconnect can be replaced by new ones, always filling up the list and enabling the server to be a dedicated ODC server. The players that connect during a mission, will have to wait to be assigned (just like unassigned players in dogfight servers) for the next mission.

An example. A ODC server starts with a campaign with 16 player. During mission 1, a player disconnects leaving the number of players 15. A different player notices this in hyperlobby (the server is listed in the dogfight rooms) and decides to join the server. Because the first mission is still running, this player has to wait in the briefing room until the next mission loads, where he can pick his armament, just like the other players.
The feature of people being able to join during a ODC coop game would instantly enable ODC servers to run dedicated and run a whole war for days.

Tell me if you are interested in this kind of gameplay. Imo it has a lot of advantages over the user-made VEF missions. Of course, also some disadvantages, but still, integrated into the game it would make far more sense.

Jeronimo83
05-23-2004, 04:10 AM
Hello, I posted this thread at the simhq forum some time ago, but didn't get much response. I was hoping more people here would understand what I'm talking about. Perhaps some server admins could comment.

Hi,

I have to say that I'm very much enjoying the dynamic campaign feature (ODC) that came with AEP and BOE. However, I have trouble finding coop games on Hyperlobby sporting these campaigns. When you think of it, it's not that strange that there are hardly any people that run ODC servers.

The power of the ODC lies in a couple of things. Of course, the battles are always near-historical which attracts most players. But most of all it is a 'continuous' war; when a mission is ended, the game automatically loads a new mission, which is based on the previous.

These are all downright awesome ingredients. However, the downside of the ODC has always been that the players which disconnect from the game, are not replaced by new ones, as with dogfight servers, resulting in a couple of missions long campaign, ending up with a number of players not even near the number that the campaign was started with. In other words, as missions follow each other up, players drop off.

I have always asked myself why oh why players are not able to join a ODC coop game after it has started. This way, players that disconnect can be replaced by new ones, always filling up the list and enabling the server to be a dedicated ODC server. The players that connect during a mission, will have to wait to be assigned (just like unassigned players in dogfight servers) for the next mission.

An example. A ODC server starts with a campaign with 16 player. During mission 1, a player disconnects leaving the number of players 15. A different player notices this in hyperlobby (the server is listed in the dogfight rooms) and decides to join the server. Because the first mission is still running, this player has to wait in the briefing room until the next mission loads, where he can pick his armament, just like the other players.
The feature of people being able to join during a ODC coop game would instantly enable ODC servers to run dedicated and run a whole war for days.

Tell me if you are interested in this kind of gameplay. Imo it has a lot of advantages over the user-made VEF missions. Of course, also some disadvantages, but still, integrated into the game it would make far more sense.

609IAP_Recon
05-23-2004, 08:14 AM
I say two thumbs up.

I like your idea, and also have been pushing for more modes of play and ideas like this.

Thanks

On respawns - I would personally say something like 'reinforcements'

These reinforcements would spawn every 'x' amount of minutes. Allowing new pilots to take off.

Salute!

IV/JG51_Recon

http://www.forgottenskies.com/jg51sig2.jpg

BBB_Hyperion
05-24-2004, 06:48 AM
Doesnt work , no coops on dedicated. Send already a very detailed email proposed a even more complex thing.

What i hope for now is that at least the eventlog will show on dedicated.

Regards,
Hyperion

Mithel
05-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Hopefully Oleg will notice the significant interest in online dynamic campaigns (the *best* feature of AEP). We can only hope this will continue to be enhanced and improved (it's the only reason I started flying FB again).

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-24-2004, 01:38 PM
This sounds like a very good idea. This is the primary reason I've not flown many ODC missions. The few times I have, it was kind of hit or miss as to whether we would have enough pilots half way into the mission.

I think many of them didn't realize they weren't going to be replaced once the mission started if they left.

TB

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg

609IAP_Recon
05-24-2004, 03:35 PM
'Doesn't work, but I at least hope BoB will have more flexibility in this area.

Salute!

IV/JG51_Recon

http://www.forgottenskies.com/jg51sig2.jpg