PDA

View Full Version : 180 turn after merging? Noob question.

ake109
06-27-2007, 10:10 PM
In game (esp when flying Me262), I have the urge to always keep the damn speed as high as possible and one of the ways I do this is to zoom climb before doing a 180 turn so that I can get some of the speed back when I dive back down. I don't play on-line.

Is this a dumb or valid tactic in real life and on on-line fights? I think I remember reading that such 'Top Gun' style climbs were suicidal in real life (if there is a bandit on your six or something). But if there was no tail-gater, is it a valid tactic IRL to conserve energy?

na85
06-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I believe what you're describing is an Immelmann turn, and yes, it's great for conserving energy, as long as nobody's on your six. If you do, you become a hamburger and they eat you up.

Divine-Wind
06-27-2007, 10:24 PM
That's what I do a lot of the time. You get altitude as well (If only for a couple seconds), and extra space between you and the ground is always handy. In fast planes you want to keep them fast as often as possible, because that's your one of your biggest advantages, speed. He who hath speed and altitude controleth the engagement.

Sillius_Sodus
06-27-2007, 10:48 PM
It's not a bad move as long as you don't let your speed drop too much. Ideally, you would want to maintain at least the best rate of climb speed for your particular aircraft. At best rate of climb speed, your aircraft is pretty much producing maximum lift, and the more lift you have the better you can turn. The trick is maintaining that speed in a turn.

If you've ever been on some of the jet sim forums, you'll hear the term "corner speed", which gives you the best turning performance. I don't know what that is for the aircraft in IL2, I'm guessing around 300~350 km/h. The more talented members on this forum may be able to give you better information.

Try not to get too slow in the 262, it doesen't accelerate too well and if you run the throttles too quickly you'll wreck the engines.

Good hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

Divine-Wind
06-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Yup, zipping the throttles from 0 to 100 like you might in other planes will ignite the engines, and most people prefer to keep the combustion in the engine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Xiolablu3
06-28-2007, 09:04 AM
DOnt turn after a merge if your plane is not hte better dogfighter, climb.

If you are in the better dogfighter, then you can risk it if you want...

TheCrux
06-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by na85:
I believe what you're describing is an Immelmann turn, and yes, it's great for conserving energy, as long as nobody's on your six. If you do, you become a hamburger and they eat you up.

I don't know about that...Actually what I believe he's describing sounds more like a High Yo-Yo, even if he doesn't realize it there's a term for it. An immelmann lets you trade speed for altitude but then you have to roll right side up from being inverted due to the half loop.

The High Yo-Yo is where you climb ( from a pretty good clip, if not a zoom ) and when you're not quite vertical you roll over/wing over ( at about a 110 degree bank ) and head back at a 180 degree course you came from, trading altitude for speed. It's a good way of reversing quickly while retaining energy for the pursuit after reversing.

slipBall
06-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by ake109:
In game (esp when flying Me262), I have the urge to always keep the damn speed as high as possible and one of the ways I do this is to zoom climb before doing a 180 turn so that I can get some of the speed back when I dive back down. I don't play on-line.

Is this a dumb or valid tactic in real life and on on-line fights? I think I remember reading that such 'Top Gun' style climbs were suicidal in real life (if there is a bandit on your six or something). But if there was no tail-gater, is it a valid tactic IRL to conserve energy?

That is my favorite move, do it early enough, and you can get right on his arce....timeing is everything! http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif