PDA

View Full Version : gun convergince qustions?

fordfan25
04-12-2005, 08:11 PM
this is a two parter lol. this is for US planes with wing mounted .50's only

1# what do you find is the most effective convergence for fighter vs fighter?

2# what was the "normal" convergence or the most used in ww2?

i cant seem to make up my mind if 500.0 or 150.0 is better.

jarink
04-12-2005, 08:36 PM
500m seems awfully long convergence for fighter vs. fighter. I usually set convergence fro 250m or less when flying US fighters (except for my favorite one pictured below!)

JunkoIfurita
04-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Depends on the situation: I use 300m as standard for 50cals, but that's because I'm a wuss in Yankee aircraft because I have a tendency towards mid air collisions. I'm a bit like a magnet in those things.

I imagine the standard convergence was probably closer to 200m.

But if you're intercepting bombers, I remember that the standard convergence was 500m. It's nice to be able to start pumping some lead into the big birds BEFORE their gunners cut you to shreds.

----

VW-IceFire
04-12-2005, 10:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fordfan25:
this is a two parter lol. this is for US planes with wing mounted .50's only

1# what do you find is the most effective convergence for fighter vs fighter?

2# what was the "normal" convergence or the most used in ww2?

i cant seem to make up my mind if 500.0 or 150.0 is better. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
For machine guns I use 270. Cannons 250. I keep changing it a bit to try and find the perfect setup. USN standard setting was the equivalent of 300 meters (I think it converts to 297 or something).

Latico
04-12-2005, 10:46 PM
300m converts to about 330 yards.

Diablo310th
04-13-2005, 06:27 AM
I ahve tried jsut about evry convergence on my Jug there is. I've used different ones for the inner and outter guns. I've gone short, long and everything in between. After reading a post by Zen the otehr day about using 1000m I tried it. I have to admit.....this has really worked for me. Now i don't shoot at 1000m I usually try to get to about 300 or less but this convergence of 1000 is gettting me alot of good hits even in real close. I'm sticking with it for now.

Tully__
04-13-2005, 06:35 AM
With wing mounted guns you want it fairly close to the range at which you normally shoot (a bit further rather than a bit closer, but not by much).

With nose mounted guns, it's a matter of preference.

In real life standard settings varied with aircraft, the service for which it was flying, the mission it was performing and the period of the war. Further, individual pilots often asked their armourers for adjustments away from standard.

thefruitbat
04-13-2005, 07:33 AM
With nose mounted weapons, what effect does increasing convergance have, is it the raising of elevation for the weapons to allow for the fall of the bullets so they are in the center of your target at the convergance set.

if so you should be able to notice when you are turn shooting as your lead would have to be more with a higher convergance??

or is gun convergance for nose mounted guns not relevant?

fruitbat

DRB_Hookech0
04-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Lately I have been using between 175 and 110 and finding that I can now really pick a part of the aircraft I'm aiming at and shread it. Since I tend to get very close before I pull the trigger, the small convergence works for me. You know....dont shoot until the enemy fills the windshield type of thing.

Tater-SW-
04-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Navy (and to some extent, Marine) pilots flew planes that were ready on deck, not a specific plane. All USN planes had guns harmonized at 1000ft (304.8m -- so pick 304 or 305m). Anything but that number on a USN plane is cheating http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

tater

Atomic_Marten
04-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Nose mounted.. it is a matter of habbit.

About wing mounted .50s, I'd say that I wouldnt have it below 200m for sure if go on bombers. Why? Simply because my style is not to park on bombers six and shoot his brains out (mostly due that is almost completely impossible to do in FB without being hit by gunners).

Just yesterday I have spent 2-3 hrs in shooting lone ACE HE111 in QMB. I bet that you will be surprised (I know I was when I realized it) when I told you that I had outstanding succes in shooting it down with MiG3 (1940) with default armament. I try to hit the pilot in canopy (I have enabled arcade mode to see the hits). In test, after some practicing new tactic, outta 5 missions, in 3 missions I send HE111 down in *first pass*, after scoring direct PK. I opened fire from .70k.
Must also say that is somewhat hard to kill the pilot since it is obviously that he has good rear protecting armor in his seat.
Gun convergence there was not of great importance (nose mounted a/c being used). But when I switched to P40, I have set it to ~350m and also shoot the pilot canopy (nose)..

Generally, if you go vs. fighters you will want smaller gun conv. (for strict hit and run a/c's that is doubtfull also), and vs. bombers try to set it to considerable distance (350m and higher).

Also take note taht it is worth to set gun conv. to large distance even vs. so called 'soft fighters' like Zero, cause it is enough to put few .50 in it to inflict serious damage..

Happy hunting http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

fordfan25
04-13-2005, 01:40 PM
how do i enable arcade mode and is just seeing the hits all it does. also will it stay inabled online?

never mind i got . thats a handy feature. how ever now im even more unconvised about the dm in this game lol. i shot a 190 and put what looked like 20 arrows threw his engien and even more threw other areas and he just kept on flyn right as rain. i dont know.

scootertgm
04-13-2005, 02:03 PM
To clear up a couple of things. First, set teh convergence about 40-50 meters FURTHER than you normally shoot. think abou this, at 300kmh, the plane will fly around 40 m in teh time it takes the rounds to travel to target. try it on QMB if you don't believe me. this is at 200m distance. So I'd advise setting a little further out.

Some had posted up a P-51 convergence diagram fromt eh USAAF at teh convergence was set at ~200 yrds.

Atomic_Marten
04-13-2005, 05:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fordfan25:
how do i enable arcade mode and is just seeing the hits all it does. also will it stay inabled online?

never mind i got . thats a handy feature. how ever now im even more unconvised about the dm in this game lol. i shot a 190 and put what looked like 20 arrows threw his engien and even more threw other areas and he just kept on flyn right as rain. i dont know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be almost like cheat on cockpit on servers, because, besides tracers that are worned off from sky in 1-2sec., you have chance to see the white baloons on ground (at the point of impact).

Arcade mode=1 ([game] section in conf.ini within root IL2 folder) only works offline.

scootertgm you are right about that advice IMO.