PDA

View Full Version : Can Host Server on Hyperlobby Even With All Firewalls Disabled!"

ytareh
01-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Have spent last 2 nights at this....very frustrated!

Users keep getting Timed Out error message.

Did total fresh reinstall from 46 dvd and added patch.Disabled all firewalls -router and windows

used this conf setting-extract

[NET]
speed=10000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=7
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=0
serverName=Strictly Pre 42 Server -Select 1941 or Earlier Only
serverDescription=
remoteHost=69.9.37.146
localHost=86.42.196.48
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=1

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=2.0
nearMaxLagTime=1.0
cheaterWarningDelay=2.0
cheaterWarningNum=2

[chat]
region=(dx=0.6925,dy=0.071666665,x=0.0,y=0.0)
adr0=ALL

Anybody any ideas.

I uninstalled all old traces of 4.05 -retargeted hyperlobby into 46 folder etc etc ...

rnzoli
01-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Do you have Windows XP?

If so, open command prompt and enter 'ipconfig' while connected to the Internet. Post the result here, or send it to me by PM.

I remember a very ugly problem with WinXP hosting, just want to verify it's the same one. If so, it will be easy to fix.

ytareh
01-23-2007, 04:47 PM
hi,when i do that a black screen flashes up to quick to read and then its gone.....

rnzoli
01-23-2007, 05:35 PM
okay, run 'cmd.exe' first, and the black screen will remain http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
then enter 'ipconfig' into this screen and give me the result of that

bun-bun195333
01-23-2007, 05:38 PM
If you have a router, check that you're forwarding port 21000 to your LAN IP address.

http://home.comcast.net/~argylestransom/Pics/Forward.jpg

ytareh
01-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi again and thanks...Is thsi what you meant?

IP 192.168.1.9
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.254

Let me know,thanks again,John

ytareh
01-23-2007, 05:42 PM
bun bun I cant even host with all firewalls off

bun-bun195333
01-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
bun bun I cant even host with all firewalls off

To host you need to tell your router where to send the info that FB needs, this is called forwarding. Go to Port Forward (http://www.portforward.com/) and find out how forwarding works on your router.

In your case you would forward port 21000 to 192.168.1.9

ytareh
01-24-2007, 06:30 AM
Still no progress here ....any ideas anybody?Id love to have my own server and would feel as if giving a bit back to the community but have spent last 3 nights now frustrated trying to get up and running when I would have enjoyed just playing in someone elses server......

Does disabling all firewalls negate the need to port forward (which I have done anyway....)?

Which conf settings are important?I have ensured chech times are not zero.....My full network conf is in another recent post....

While I am fairly tech literate in some areas(as a result of this game!) in others I am clueless eg didnt know difference between dedicated and non dedicated server so explain slowly!

Any help greatly appreciated as always.....

dbillo
01-24-2007, 08:15 AM
If that's all you're getting from ipconfig, then you're still behind the router, so in your conf.ini, the localhost should be set to your LAN IP address, which appears to be 192.168.1.9, not the Internet IP address you have there now.

Then you should have your router set up to forward port 21000 to that same LAN IP address.

If you want to take the router out of the equation, I think you'll have to physically disconnect it and plug your cable or DSL modem directly into your ethernet card, but you really shouldn't have to do that if port forwarding is set up correctly.

rnzoli
01-24-2007, 11:24 AM
I was thinking about that printout, but it's not the problem I suspected. As the guys say, firewall is totally different than port forwarding (also called NAT sometimes) in routers. From the private IP address, we can see that your server is behind a router, doing the port forwarding. Can you locate the router, is it under your control? Can you - just for testing sake - connect directly to internet (cable modem, ADSL modem etc.), and get a public IP address by any chance?

*EDIT* 3 days struggle? Don't feel stupid, that's not much. I struggled with my problem for a week.

ytareh
01-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi again -cant connect directly to net as there are different connectors/sockets involved....

WWSensei
01-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Your problem is port forwarding. Firewalls aren't the issue and turning them off doesn't remove the need to forward the port information. The data is getting to your router but your router doesn't know where to send it since your internal network is different than the external. If your router stays in then you HAVE to port forward. No way around it.

Oh, and port forwarding is not also called NAT. NAT is network address translation and is something totally different than port forwarding. Port forwarding is something you have to do to host a server of anykind because someone is using NAT. They are not interchangeable terms.

ytareh
01-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi!Well NAT seems to be where the portforwarding section of my router configuration is based....

Hers the options in router setup

Home
Configure
Connection
Wireless
Advanced
Access Control
DHCP Server
IP Passthrough
NAT
Packet Filter
QoS
Router Password
Time Zone
VLAN
Statistics
Diagnostics
Remote Access
Update Router
Reset Router
Restart Router
Basic Mode
Help

I have ports forwarded in both router and windows I reckon....

ytareh
01-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Im using a Netopia 3347WG router.Is it possible to host on Hyperlobby with a router?Some guys there suggest not.They are all getting timed out but my server is visible....

Banger2004
01-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Have you looked at http://www.portforward.com/?(as suggested above). They list a Netopia 3347WG-Vgx, the 'nearest' I can see to your model. I am no expert and might well be wrong but have you tried their instructons, such as setting a 'static IP address'?

The nearest game I found in the listing was for IL-2 Sturmovik, it might work. If not they have general settings that should get you up and running.

I had a quick look at the site and it seems very informative, it might even set your router for you!

rnzoli
01-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Ytareh, take a look at this to understand a bit about your home networking (good picture on page 2):

NAT & Port forwarding (http://lc.netcomm.com.au/nat.html)

From this source:

This process is called 'Network Address Translation.' It is a very important point to get about broadband modems and has to be understood for discussion of 'port forwarding' to make sense.

ytareh
01-24-2007, 02:29 PM
I checked the router guide banger and it turns out its not enough to set up portforwarding ports you have to press ab ENABLE button too.I was optimistic after that but it STILL doesnt work!!!

CD_kp84yb
01-24-2007, 02:32 PM
HI

I have host a dedicated server and some df games on hyperlobby without probs, ok some moons ago.

The thing you are looking for is vitual server.
Now create a new server and (im doing this from memory) forward ports 21000 TCP and UDP, and a port for hyperlobby port 1698 TCP
Now make sure that you forward them to the correct internal IP of your PC, check it by going to 192.168.1.1 and then to DHCP table, this will show all the pc's and their IP connected to the router.

Never use DMZ host!!!

Succes

Banger2004
01-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
I checked the router guide banger and it turns out its not enough to set up portforwarding ports you have to press ab ENABLE button too.I was optimistic after that but it STILL doesnt work!!!

Drat, was hoping it might be useful. Like I said, I am certainly no expert in this field, so cannot help you, but I sincerely hope you carry on and sort it out. Hope frustration does not get the better of you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif