PDA

View Full Version : memphis belle

sakai2005
11-05-2005, 05:51 PM
i saw the belle fly in september the one used for the movie.it was great.but i noticed that when viewing it on the ground the whole bottom of the plane was coverd in oil of some kind i did not have the time to fight the crowd to ask about this anybody know what this is from? my only thought is that it is a by product of the exaust.also noticed that oil seems to leak from all parts of the plane mabey this is normal or just lack of funds for maintanance.anyway they fly it so its no worry too the pilot i guess

D.H.S.
11-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by sakai2005:
i saw the belle fly in september the one used for the movie.it was great.but i noticed that when viewing it on the ground the whole bottom of the plane was coverd in oil of some kind i did not have the time to fight the crowd to ask about this anybody know what this is from? my only thought is that it is a by product of the exaust.also noticed that oil seems to leak from all parts of the plane mabey this is normal or just lack of funds for maintanance.anyway they fly it so its no worry too the pilot i guess

It appears the pilots were flying a pirated version of the bell..probably the leaked beta version. Was it 'wobbling' in the air?

jarink
11-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by sakai2005:

This is more common than a lot of people realise. Unlike most automobiles, oil and other fluids (hydraulic fluid, fuel, etc.) will pool in the engine cowlings and other places (especially during maintenance) and seep out of cracks in the skin. With your car, it just drips out onto the pavement and you don't notice it.

Most WWII-era aircraft had a fairly loose fit inside the fuselage, too; I've heard stories about all sorts of swill that would pool up under the cockpit decking. It would also seep out wherever possible.

ElAurens
11-05-2005, 09:49 PM
WW2 era radial engines leak a lot of oil. This is a fact of life.

For example, the engines on the B 29 carried a 50 (Or very close to that) US gallon reservior each. It was not uncommon for them to be almost totally empty after a long mission.

GreyFox5
11-05-2005, 09:52 PM
My Father-in-Law (Navy Pilot) told me once that if a radial engine is not leaking there is something wrong with it. I was able to visit a DC3 being refurbished a couple of years ago and each engine nacelle housed a 50gal oil tank to feed the engine more oil as it leaked and burned it as it was run so there ya go. The oil ends up all over the plane.

han freak solo
11-05-2005, 09:57 PM
"If it's still leaking, you know the oil tank ain't empty." --An old biker saying.

Dew-Claw
11-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Like any loyal old dog,
It marks it's territory