PDA

View Full Version : Why is Brotherhood DLC so heavily MP biased?

abramburici
03-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Dear Ubisoft,

I understand, up to a point, why it's so convenient to generate additional multiplayer content (instead of single player).
After all you don't have to worry as much about recording new dialogue, developing intricate storyline, plot dependencies, and the like.
But please remember multiplayer is only a part of ACB, a part which quite a few might never explore.
I, for one, have no intention competing online against random people I don't know, some of which might be spending 10 hours a day playing ACB.
I feel single player users will be at a great disadvantage, unless you can play all those missions in SP mode (that is, everybody else is AI).
Even AC2 offered 2 extra chapters and 2-3 maps as DLC after the initial release.

ThaWhistle
03-08-2011, 11:21 AM
about MP, don't knock it till ya try it. There is nothing like hunting down your fellow man, it is the most dangerous game.

Serrachio
03-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by abramburici:
Dear Ubisoft,

I understand, up to a point, why it's so convenient to generate additional multiplayer content (instead of single player).
After all you don't have to worry as much about recording new dialogue, developing intricate storyline, plot dependencies, and the like.
But please remember multiplayer is only a part of ACB, a part which quite a few might never explore.
I, for one, have no intention competing online against random people I don't know, some of which might be spending 10 hours a day playing ACB.
I feel single player users will be at a great disadvantage, unless you can play all those missions in SP mode (that is, everybody else is AI).
Even AC2 offered 2 extra chapters and 2-3 maps as DLC after the initial release.

As of today, and tommorow for PSN, they will have released DLC 3 which includes single-player missions.

kriegerdesgottes
03-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by ThaWhistle:
about MP, don't knock it till ya try it. There is nothing like hunting down your fellow man, it is the most dangerous game.

Most of us have tried it, but core AC fans are SP fans. MP is ok, especially in AC where it is slightly more tolerable than most games but AC should focus more on SP than MP. Thanks god rocksteady was smart enough to keep Arkham City SP only.

rocketxsurgeon
03-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Well think about it like this.
The multiplayer is almost the seeds that keep the game going until the next one. Sure, i'm very much looking forward to the single player content, but it's going to be the same everytime you play it. Multiplayer offers a different experience each time.

But i wouldn't stress too much over the multtplayer content, comparing both, they both probably took the same amount of time and effort to make. (More MP content but dialoge and story of SP)The single player content does take a lot more time to make and i am very much looking forward to it, as equally to the multiplayer content (:

CrazyShrapnel
03-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Rocket beat me to it but yeah. Once you've played through SP content once, that's about it. You can replay it and collect/complete everything but it's not going to change much.

MP is much more dynamic. Even when you've experienced the content there's still that human element that changes your experience every time. Each match is unique and exposes you to different situations, keeping the content interesting for longer.

ThaWhistle
03-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThaWhistle:

Most of us have tried it, but core AC fans are SP fans. MP is ok, especially in AC where it is slightly more tolerable than most games but AC should focus more on SP than MP. Thanks god rocksteady was smart enough to keep Arkham City SP only. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might have missed that my post was directed at the OP, who implies he will never try MP.

you can only play SP so many times, and DLC for SP has to cost alot more to develop. Plus if htey are busy with the next game, we can't expect a whole lot more SP DLC. Don't forget, there was no post release DLC for the first one. Scripted AI never does anything different, actual people usually do. MP offers more replayability for a game where the single player is basically linear. Thats not to say that the SP in the AC series isn't anything less than awesome though.

notafanboy
03-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by CrazyShrapnel:
Rocket beat me to it but yeah. Once you've played through SP content once, that's about it. You can replay it and collect/complete everything but it's not going to change much.

MP is much more dynamic. Even when you've experienced the content there's still that human element that changes your experience every time. Each match is unique and exposes you to different situations, keeping the content interesting for longer.
i never get tired of sp, i just climb up a high building and listen to the awesome soundtrack

ghostferret
03-08-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm with notafanboy. I've replayed all three SP games multiple times, to find better ways to do the missions or just to climb a tower in Venice and watch the sun set over the lagoon. That said, although I thought I'd hate MP, I like it, in spite of not being any good at it. It's managing my AC addiction while I hold my breath waiting for the next SP fix to arrive (tomorrow!).

kriegerdesgottes
03-08-2011, 03:21 PM
I see your points I really do, but I played the first game every single day for two years until the next one and I did the same with II until Brotherhood and now I play it daily and happily, I love the SP mechanics and walking around the city. The fighting is great along with the scenery. MP to me is always the same thing, look for guy kill guy look for guy kill guy, then hide from guy over and over blah blah, 9 times out of ten someone is freaking cheating and you can't do anything about it oh great now someone is yelling obscenities and I have to pause to stop him oh I got killed while I had the game paused. If you really think about it MP is always the same even more so in stupid FPS games. In SP you control everything you do with the character. I don't have to worry about some moron shooting me in the head while I'm trying to jump from rooftops.

EternalWarMage
03-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Apart from a hefty 100G if you 100% Synch on everything that is... If you're into score*****ing, that is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CrazyShrapnel
03-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by EternalWarMage:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CrazyShrapnel:
Apart from a hefty 100G if you 100% Synch on everything that is... If you're into score*****ing, that is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I meant is that the experience wouldn't change much. By doing this and that you can unlock those but once you've played through the content once most changes in your next playthroughs would be minimal. Same cutscenes, same enemies, same level goal. Maybe an extra goal (Kill those enemies in less than a minute, etc) but the basic level you're doing is the same as before.

abramburici
03-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

My main point wasn't whether SP is better than MP, although I see it does interest a lot of people. Both game modes have their place, and I guess there's pros and cons to both whatever way you look at it.
Clear SP has less replay value, or, rather, surprise element to it. Of course, if they decide to make the next AC more RPG-like, then you can have different sub-plots unfolding depending on your actions. Even then the number of variations will be limited, unless you have a game that develops itself as it progresses, lol.
The MP has the human factor, no doubt about it, but as I said before I have little interest competing with somebody who plays ACB even in their sleep. It's kinda like learning the chess basics and then going to the local club to take on a master. Pointless and unfair. Even that aside, I doubt the level of excitement stays the same once you get to know the environment and play the mission 2-3 times. Like kriegerdesgotte said, it boils down to spot the guy, chase the guy, kill the guy before getting killed. I haven't played yet, but I doubt there's much more than that to it.

Maybe for each 3 MP maps they could give us 1 SP map, or something like that. That would give "SP only" fans something to do as well without the need to replay the main game over and over again.

EternalWarMage
03-08-2011, 04:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EternalWarMage:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CrazyShrapnel:
Apart from a hefty 100G if you 100% Synch on everything that is... If you're into score*****ing, that is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I meant is that the experience wouldn't change much. By doing this and that you can unlock those but once you've played through the content once most changes in your next playthroughs would be minimal. Same cutscenes, same enemies, same level goal. Maybe an extra goal (Kill those enemies in less than a minute, etc) but the basic level you're doing is the same as before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't worry, I wasn't being sarcastic. I got what you meant http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Although I think this chapter basically confirms that Desmond is out of the next AC, but Ubisoft covered their back with that bit obviously by being non commital to his condition. But that's just from how I percieved the story of this DLC anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif