PDA

View Full Version : 6dof and online play

voidless_
02-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Hi everyone,

first of all, this is my first post in this community forum!

Second, is it allowed to fly using the 6dof mod for Track IR 4 when playing on HL servers online? (for example, on 109 vs. spits or other historical servers).

I saw some 6dof videos on youtube and it totally blew my mind! But from what I've gathered the mod needs you to modify your il2fb.exe file so that would surely mean you could not play online... right?

This is kind of a deal breaker for me, as I don't enjoy flying with AI as much as flying with real folks online.

I don't have a T/IR but I'm really thinking about getting one!

On a side note, any input on T/IR + online play guys???

Thanks a bunch all of you!

voidless_
02-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Oh! And would someone give me some more info on the 6dof mod? I remember seeing an old thread in this forum but I was wondering if there was any 'offical' link for this mod by the creator... Thanks!

jayhall0315
02-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Check with the moderators first Void before posting about mod stuff here. I think the 6DOF mod can be discussed but not sure.

I dont have a track IR but other veterans will be along soon to help you out I am sure.

Choctaw111
02-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Mod discussion is OK here, just no links.
The 6DOF mod is fantastic. I had always wanted to know what it was like to "fly" Il2 with this but thought it would never be possible. I was very happy when this mod was released.

voidless_
02-26-2009, 06:02 PM
And is it allowed in most servers in HL?

Bearcat99
02-26-2009, 09:39 PM
It is allowed on enough servers on HL.

Google All Aircraft Arcade for more info on the mods. Links to mod sites aren't allowed on these boards.. I also suggest you read this (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/7441010176).

The 6DoF mod is very well done....

na85
02-26-2009, 10:56 PM
6dof mod works as advertised but frankly the cockpits in IL2 were not designed with 6DOF in mind.

Many of the planes are missing parts to save memory when you're in cockpit view, so with 6DOF you can literally see through parts of the nose. On some aircraft (the spit Vc2 is one) there's no nose at all, the aircraft just ends right after the windshield.

Manu-6S
02-27-2009, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by na85:
On some aircraft (the spit Vc2 is one) there's no nose at all, the aircraft just ends right after the windshield.

Without 6DoF is the same thing... Simply the Vc2 incockpit model is totally wrong (too high).

Anyway to the OP: 6Dof is mandatory, it really change the game.

skarden
02-27-2009, 01:43 AM
Yep to repeat what the other guys here said,6DOF is fantastic and once your used to it you'll probably never go back to 2DOF.

As far as onlne goes most servers are 6DOF friendly but some are most definitely not,as far as i know,"spits v 109s" is still a non mod server but the awsome new "balance of power"is all mod friendly and an excellent server at that,"wings over Europe" is great too for your full switch servers.

"Skies of Valor" is probably my personal favorite as it still has the cockpit always on setting while its a little relaxed on other settings(not much though),great missions too.

"Skies of fire" is there too but pesonally I just can't play on the no cockpit servers as the radar arrows that appear at the sides of the screen to tell you where the other players are once in a certain range totally ruins the fun for me.

All in all heaps to pick from mate http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Enjoy ~S~

blairgowrie
02-27-2009, 03:59 AM
If you install the AAA mod pack it contains a switcher that allows you to fly with or without mods and with or without 6DOF.

rnzoli
02-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Exactly, there is no need to decide for life, you can switch depending on the server easily. I use a mod pack, where this is optional. On for offline, but off for online, since not everyone has TIR to make full advantage of 6DOF.

6DOF is great, although not perfect (e.g., you can sometimes see the crosshair on your instrument panel instead on the collimator glass), and the zoom-in-zoom out features are not 100% reliable, I too often get stuck in zoomed in mode.
But anyway, it gives fairly limited move ranges, which is sufficient to work around cockpit frames, while you can always go back temporarily to 2DOF as necessary, without major pains.

SittinDuck75
02-27-2009, 08:24 AM
After trying it, flying without 6DOF is not an option.
No problems online too.

I used to play both LockOn and IL2 but i got so spoiled by 6dof in IL2 that i didnt touch LockOn ever since. I simply cant (refuse to) fly without ability to roll my head.

Hurry up and get it. You'll have a whole new sim.

na85
02-27-2009, 12:39 PM
See I'm just the opposite... I found that the 6dof, while neat, didn't really change my game experience that much.

voidless_
02-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Now, you guys just evil... I have to find a canadian TIR4 etailer now :-)

I can't wait to test it. I've been looking at 6dof youtube vids for 2 days and I just can't wait to sim with this stuff.

Thanks for all the input! I will try the AAA mod pack now... I didn't even know it existed. Can't wait to see how it will improve the game.

Woke_Up_Dead
02-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Is it practical or even possible to fly with 6dof but no TIR or similar device? Use the keyboard or mouse instead?

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-27-2009, 03:07 PM
There is a 6DoF mod for mouse use.

squareusr
02-27-2009, 03:30 PM
6dof mod works as advertised but frankly the cockpits in IL2 were not designed with 6DOF in mind.

I use a glovepie mapping between my head tracker and il2 and i have "dimmed" the extra movement axes down to 20% (or so) of the original movement range. That's still enough to get that improved immersion and the occasional "looking around the window frames", but the limits of copckpit modelling rarley become a problem that way. it's even a scarce sighting to see that "floating revi rectangle". And besides that, the best part of the 6dof mod is not related to the additional degrees of freedom at all, it's that subtle change in the "looking straight up" situation, somehow there's much less "gimbal lock" or however it is called there.

Back to topic: the 6dof mod is great, but please don't use it on servers that do not clearly advertise being mod friendly. There's a handy version switcher that works like a charm and it's easy enough to fly with the mod vs. original settings endorsed by the people who
invest a lot of time and money into running their server.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by squareusr:
Back to topic: the 6dof mod is great, but please don't use it on servers that do not clearly advertise being mod friendly. There's a handy version switcher that works like a charm and it's easy enough to fly with the mod vs. original settings endorsed by the people who
invest a lot of time and money into running their server.

Agreed, besides, trackIR is incredible even without 6DoF, I wouldn't fly without it.

Jabout
02-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Does the 6dof movement possible in the forward "Gunsight View"?

UgoRipley
02-28-2009, 09:13 AM
no, 6dof only works with the "off-center" setting of the "gunsight view".

Jabout
02-28-2009, 09:40 AM
~S~

horseback
02-28-2009, 11:36 AM
I haven't tried the mods (yet), but I can say that TrackIR is absolutely the second most important thing you can get to enhance your flight sim experience after a decent joystick.

Yes, even more important than rudder pedals.

It took me all of three hours to get used to, and made WonderWoman view obsolete for all but the track viewing.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

cheers

horseback

Bearcat99
02-28-2009, 01:38 PM
See I'm just the opposite... I found that the 6dof, while neat, didn't really change my game experience that much.

I use 6Dof more getting too and from.. than in actual combat. In combat things are sometimes so fluid.. so even that 1 or 2 second glimpse I get from looking around a spar is really useless in the bigger picture.. I am tracking the target and projecting in my mind where he will go.. and it is all in real time. For me the beaty of 6Dof comes in scanning the sky.. looking for my flight.. or the airfield.. or the target... or just moving my head so the sun is not in my eyes so strongly..... 6DoF works great inn the mods.. but IMO without TIR.. it is just more work... it is the TIR that makes it all go.. and that woul;d be with or without 6Dof.