PDA

View Full Version : Is this lag or what?

Cossack_UA
02-24-2004, 07:43 PM
I've noticed that some strange behaviour of some aircraft online. In my experience they were mostly BF109 of different modifications (not relavent because i fly mostly VVS and BF109 is flown by 90% of LW).
When I persue one he obviously begins evading maneuvers, but these maneuvers are so sharp and fast. For example a 90-180 degrees rolls from wing to wing would go in an istant. Sharp turns that only flys can perform. It looks like lag. So is it?

Cossack_UA
02-24-2004, 07:43 PM
I've noticed that some strange behaviour of some aircraft online. In my experience they were mostly BF109 of different modifications (not relavent because i fly mostly VVS and BF109 is flown by 90% of LW).
When I persue one he obviously begins evading maneuvers, but these maneuvers are so sharp and fast. For example a 90-180 degrees rolls from wing to wing would go in an istant. Sharp turns that only flys can perform. It looks like lag. So is it?

dannnyjos
02-24-2004, 07:54 PM
I know what you mean. I played yesterday online for the first time. The airplanes in front of me some times move like insects. Especially doing sharp tunrs and rolls. It has to be lag. I've never seen this kind of behavior offline, not even with the cheating AI. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/crazy.gif

C:\C++\New Folder

bashii
02-24-2004, 08:06 PM
My own frustration is when I finally manage to get on someone's six, fire one burst and *poof*, they just vanish into thin air or do this horizontal zip to hundreds of meters away. I suspect it's poorly configured servers allowing pings/loss into the game that are too high for the packet stream to track them properly. I'm fortunate to be DSL and I only join low-ping servers but I can't really fault the player in Bora Bora using carrier pigeons to transport his position packets. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif But it does become tedious at times.

[This message was edited by bashii on Tue February 24 2004 at 07:16 PM.]

Fillmore
02-25-2004, 02:29 AM
Someone else said, and I would tend to agree, that this sort of thing is related to update rate. The rate at which he changes his deirection of roll is greater than the rate at which you (or the server) is recieving updates to his flight data. Ping is the lag between him changing direction and you seeing the change, that isn't the problem here, here the problem is more bandwidth related, and I imagine it has to do with someone's settings, I read someone say their squad did some tests and found that things worked best when everyone had the same connection setting (regardless of what their actual connections were).

BBB_Hyperion
02-25-2004, 02:54 AM
This goes for all Planes not only LW.
As Fillmore wrote the Update and Local Prediction are synced on a time basis. Now for example a sharp turn or hard roll event appears. The Lokal Prediction shows the Roll almost complete but the other Guys banked hard to the other Side while in roll . Now the Sync happens the Plane position is corrected with and positionied right . This puts the rollposition or Turnposition back instantly. That has something to do withthe update frequency netspeed setting and packetloss and connection type and time to travel to target.

Thats why it is almost non existing on LANs but greatly noticeable on Modems and bad connections. This doesnt mean your connection to the server must be bad but also the other guy you shoot at needs good connection, update rate , no packet loss and good pingtime to give a good target.

At least thats my theory about this topic.

I posted a suggestion on ORR a while ago to smoothen out the correction on lokal computers and dont do instant correction. So the Plane wouldnt just jump in right position but get smoothly corrected to it. But seems not much did understand it or wanted to know.

Also this is all only my impression as i dont have insights how this game part is coded but from other games i can tell it works this way.

Regards,
Hyperion

Capt.LoneRanger
02-25-2004, 03:08 AM
Yes, sounds like lag.

Worst case of lag was when I pursued a Bf109. I managed to get on his six, got closer and closer.When he filled my sights, I prepared to fire, but just when I pushed the button, the Bf109 not only stopped in the air, but flew backward, right behind me and shot me down.
That was the coolest Picard-maneuver I've ever seen outside StarTrek.

greets
Capt.LoneRanger

http://www.cptloneranger.privat.t-online.de/SIG2.jpg

F19_Ob
02-25-2004, 04:35 AM
lag , great diferrences in ping .

Bull-Dog.
02-25-2004, 05:41 AM
Aiming successfully on line is an art I have yet to master.
I shoot with the correct amount of deflection but i dont get the hits i expect. I have to spray and pray to get shots on target.
I am sure that this is down to the effect dicussed above.
What I have to do is to figure out how to adjust for this.(any help would be very welcome)
I also noticed that after changing to broard band I started to get shot down more. Is this because my image is more stable than the one jumpimg around in front of me.
I dont think is just me that is frustrated by this as i often see the statement "My aim sucks but I can fly like hell". In my opinion anyone who can fly well should be able to shoot a plane down.
I am not trying to blame the game for my bad flying because I do get some success, just cant understand why sometimes the plane in front at 150 with convergece at 150 just does not get hit.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/bull_dog/images/3-picture.jpg?0.7185765628443178

BlackHawkLeader
02-25-2004, 05:45 AM
Yes Lag he he,
We fixed it in our server! if you ever consider going with cable dont hesitate, your lag problems will end for the most part.

Our anti cheat settings boot players with poor pings from our server, when it runs in Il-2FB.
So we have few Lag problems if any.
I usualy allow 20 players in the server at a time, the few that lag are booted instantly making room for new comers with better connections.
No Mercy! for players that do not do their home work on their connectivity to others

BOOT!

Cheers