PDA

View Full Version : BOB 2

HotelBushranger
02-05-2005, 06:54 AM
Is anyone thinking of moving over to GMX's Battle of Britian 2? Looks mighty good. We'll have to see.

P.S. Do not work for GMX, am not spreading propaganda http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Smidlee
02-05-2005, 07:09 AM
From what I've read , Bob 2 is aimed mostly for offline play. Also From what I understand in a bomber you can't be the bombardier. Having hundreds of planes in the air at the same time does sound interesting but exactly how well can a pc handle this is still a question in my mind. I believe I'll wait a few months on this one myself as it will probably be shipped with bugs.

Chuck_Older
02-05-2005, 07:25 AM
I still feel slightly burned from Rowan's original. It seemed everything was simply difficult to do rather than giving me a feeling of realism. I'll wait and see what the verdict is on it

Yimmy
02-05-2005, 07:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
It seemed everything was simply _difficult_ to do <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found it the same. Nice graphics and sounds mind.

HotelBushranger
02-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Yeah, gameplay was a bit of a let down, but had nice eye candy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Indianer.
02-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Are we talking about the same game? Rowans BoB was horrid and really hard, mind u i was into CFS1 at the time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

cwojackson
02-05-2005, 01:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Indianer.:
Are we talking about the same game? Rowans BoB was horrid and really hard, mind u i was into CFS1 at the time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Basically a new game that is simply the follow on to the original; new engine, etc. It incorporates some fairly advanced ideas and includes such features as real dynamic weather, clickable cockpits, etc.

The main team is Shockwave, a team with a remarkable past in historical detail and accurate air models.

And from the looks of the number of IL2 fans visiting their site and pushing for online play, it seems to have attracted a great deal of attention even here.

Blottogg
02-05-2005, 04:55 PM
There is a post over in general discussion about Oleg's BoB updates (or lack thereof), and I wondered there about whether the current silence from 1C/Ubisoft might be due to crunch time for BoB. Both CGW and PC Gamer had Ubi's BoB due out Q1 '05. I don't know if the interns responsible for the magazines' lists got the two BoB's confused, since GMX's is due out on 15 Apr according to Amazon.com.uk. Another possible explaination is that with competition looming, Ubi wants to get their version to market before said market becomes saturated. I have no proof for any of this speculation, just wondering as I type.

The GMX sim has me interested, not the least of which because their feature list seems to be aimed squarely at the current Il-2 sim engine's shortcomings (Ai FM, Ai detection through clouds, lack of dynamic weather.) Since GMX's sim engine is four years younger than Il-2's, I would expect it to improve on the current standard-bearer. I'll give it a try when it comes out, though I'm not exactly going to un-install FB/AEP/PF either.

Destraex
02-05-2005, 07:29 PM
I am also looking forward to this but am not expecting it to beat even il2 originals graphics because of the sheer number of A/C in the sky.

THe original I bought for a couple of bob (no pun intended) to see what it was like with the patches and the huge community mod. It is pretty awesome but does not have the finished feel that sturmovik has. THe sounds are great and so is the radio chatter.

THere WILL be online play and the original had coop so I am expecting this too. THe devs have just said this is not what they are concentrating on.

cwojackson
02-05-2005, 07:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

THere WILL be online play and the original had coop so I am expecting this too. THe devs have just said this is not what they are concentrating on. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, the team at Shockwave has openly stated that they aren't trying to compete with 1CMaddox in online play. It will be there but the development is aimed at stand alone play primarily. They readily admit that aspects of online play would be more difficult and take away from their aim.

They're also soliciting modelers and will eventually be open to third party addons. Again, since the market they are aiming for is offline, the aspect of cheating isn't an important issue.

Smokin256
02-06-2005, 12:10 AM
I'm really looking forward to this one a lot! I'm hoping it does really well, Not only for its own sake but also for the posibilities for Mig Alley at some point in the future. The thought of Mig Alley with updated graphics, 6DoF, the RTB bug finally squashed & maybe even the campaign playable from the Red side makes me weak in the knees! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers.......Smokin256

m.manson2004
02-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Thats the impression i have so far:
-----------------------------------
What i dont like

GRAPHICS:Outdated,close to CFS2.
ONLINE:NO,they are not interested.
MISSION BUILDER:Was not even on their programme they gave the job to a third party amateur 2 months ago.
LOTS OF PLANES IN THE AIR:I think we are going to see something like the BOB movie from the sixties were bombers move all together in a rigid formation.

What i like

PLANES:The battle was fought with only the following planes:
SPITFIRE
HURRICANE
ME109
HE111
ME110
JU88
JU87
and thats it,so since there will be open architecture we should soon have the bombers as flyable.

CAMPAIGN
From what they state it should be a real dynamic hystoric campaign.
RECKON
We should be having real ground reckon, spotting, radar.
SOUND
Authentic engine sounds

What i'm waitting to see

Scenery,will they get the coast,country side and the south right?

manson

DmdSeeker
02-06-2005, 05:50 AM
SPITFIRE
HURRICANE
ME109
ME111
JU88
JU87
and thats it,so since there will be open architecture we should soon have the bombers as flyable.

Where did you get this idea?

There were many more plane types in the BoB than that! People always forget both coastal and bomber command were still active; and you missed out obvious lemons such as the Fairey Battle et al...

m.manson2004
02-06-2005, 06:20 AM
Further to above

The Brittish used the Beaufighter and Beaufort for night time intercepts(the blitz) against incoming German bombers and fighter bombers so most probably a third party can include those later on.
manson

Iwatapt
02-06-2005, 07:43 AM
I really enjoyed Rowan's "Flying Corps" (and still waiting for a remake) and "Mig Alley" was a fun game (given that the only alternative was the appaling "Saber Ace"), but "Battle of Britain" was simply frustrating. I couldn't get the joystick config right, so every plane behaved like an X-Wing.

I think I'll take the risc and wait a bit further for Maddox's version.

EDIT: Off-topic, aff, but for those interested in the above comments on night-fighting, I'd suggest reading "Pursuit Through Darkenned Skies". **** good book.

m.manson2004
02-06-2005, 08:18 AM
BOOKS

I just finnished BOB by OVERY which i found too simple and short.On the other hand i'm finding CLASH OF EAGLES by TOWNHSEND much deeper but also 3 times bigger.

"I think I'll take the risc and wait a bit further for Maddox's version."

I have a sinister feeling their BOB wont be up to todays standards and expectations.

manson

Bull_dog_
02-06-2005, 08:33 AM
While I love FB/AEP/PF...I for one welcome any competition to this series as a hope to improve it or find a suitable replacement....no online means no replacement for online players but there are plenty of people who play offline...

There are several reasons why I, as an American and a fan of American aircraft am ready for competion....
1) Current modelling of the P-38 and lack of respect and accuracy given to the aircraft from Oleg
2 The big fight raged to get the Jug to a respectable level
3 The big fight raged to get the Brownings to similar performance as other HMG's in the game
4 The way most Soviet aircraft soak up damage with the delta wood armor
5 The way certain aircraft...I 153, I-16, La series don't bleed energy
6 Dive modelling in general
7 Torque modelling in general
8 Modelling of D2 airacobra...it is obvious to me through his actions that Oleg has modelled the P-39 series very liberally at first and then brought them back...the opposite has been true of the P-47, P-38, and Hellcat
9 The old "your wing will fall off during high speed manuevers...be sure" crapola. That is the most ridiculous incarnation I've seen in his game yet...totally unpredictable and totally inaccurate... I've been killed online more in a Fw and Mustang for that reason than any other. Two fighters you have to fly fast to be successful in. I had La's and P-39's dive and take evasive manuvers to get my wing to fall off! It worked!!!

Most other aspects of the Olegs creation are fantastic in my mind...I really like where Oleg has the German aircraft now and I hope that he doesnt' change much...but I still see some soviet aircraft as overmodelled in DM and energy bleed and a couple of US aircraft in need of some tweaking...Hellcat needs tweaking and Lightning needs overhaul.

I fly just about all the aircraft in the game, online and offline, and I just don't expect future creations from Oleg to do justice to some of the aircraft that are my personal favorites...his track record speaks for itself. So, bring on a new sim, hopefully others so I will have choices. Right now Oleg has the best sim going so I'll keep buying it and supporting it, but I wait for the day when someone produces an even more accurate, immersive sim than he and one that is more accurate in Damage modelling, energy modelling and is consistant in modelling.

ICDP
02-06-2005, 08:45 AM
I am really looking forward to BOB WoV, the fact that it is not catering to online is trully brilliant. Why cater for 5% of the potential buyers of a sim only to alientate the other 95% of the purchasers. Online play accounts for a VERY VERY small minority yet IL2/PF seems to cater to their wims almost exclusively.

PF has awfull AI, trully abysmal offline campaigns and possibly the worst AI comms system in any sim. The whole offline experience in PF is stale and totally unimerssive, BOB and many other older sims have it TOTALLY beat in this regard.

The old BOB with the BDG updates already beats PF for FM's, AI and gameplay, the graphics are showing their age though. This new update will hopefully update the graphics to level similar to PF's, if it does we can finally leave the woefully inadequate (offline) PF behind for good.

Sharkey888
02-06-2005, 09:31 AM
ICDP I agree wholeheartedly. It seems IL2-PF has been high-jacked by the vocal online MINORITY on these forums.

Most people do not play it online.

As for the original BOB, it was fun after you figured out how to play it (sounds familiar doesn't it?!) with large formations and good graphics, I think it should be a must buy!!

GT182
02-06-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm not really looking forward to BoB.

B17 "The Legend Returns", due out in 2006, is the one many are waiting for. Especially for online play as B17 II didn't have it. The feeling is this will be the ultimate bomber sim for the B17s, along with flyable fighters for both sides....online. And, there will be many graphics improvements along with a well needed overhaul of all a/c's flight mechanics. The great thing is that you won't have to have the ultimate top of the line pc to play B17 "TLR".

Sorry to change the subject HotelBushranger. I just thought it would be good to add here. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

cwojackson
02-06-2005, 01:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ICDP:
This new update will hopefully update the graphics to level similar to PF's... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The graphics and flight models are totally new. It's not an update to the original but a follow-on that mimics the original in regards to play. This allows you to play the stragetic element, the tactical element, or both.

That is one of the biggest advantages in regards to offline play. What you do in either/both levels CAN influence the outcome of the war.

When you add in real dynamic weather that is as predictable and changing as the historical...this is going to be fun.

m.manson2004
02-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Whats Oleg waitting for to start MADDOX'S BOB forum ? xmas?!

manson

darkhorizon11
02-06-2005, 02:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GT182:
I'm not really looking forward to BoB.

B17 "The Legend Returns", due out in 2006, is the one many are waiting for. Especially for online play as B17 II didn't have it. The feeling is this will be the ultimate bomber sim for the B17s, along with flyable fighters for both sides....online. And, there will be many graphics improvements along with a well needed overhaul of all a/c's flight mechanics. The great thing is that you won't have to have the ultimate top of the line pc to play B17 "TLR".

Sorry to change the subject HotelBushranger. I just thought it would be good to add here. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your just looking for long range strategic bombing then your sorta SOL for Battle of Britain. But there will be plenty of flyable medium bombers in BOB, be sure of that. Also there is work being done (if not already completed) for the B-29 for PF. There is hope yet...

blankenship
02-06-2005, 02:58 PM
I hope BOB2 kicks ***. The IL-2 series has had a very good run but its getting a bit long in the tooth. I am really looking forward to hearing engines that sound like engins and guns that sound like guns.

Fighterduck
02-07-2005, 08:13 AM
No wait.....a sequel of B17 the mighty height?!!!!!!
WWWWWWWWooooooooooooooah!!!! I loved this game! the best flight sim ever made!
Where can i find info about it?

ploughman
02-07-2005, 08:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> No wait.....a sequel of B17 the mighty height?!!!!!!
WWWWWWWWooooooooooooooah!!!! I loved this game! the best flight sim ever made!
Where can i find info about it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Traitor! Heretic! Burn him!

jagdmailer
02-07-2005, 09:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by m.manson2004:
Thats the impression i have so far:
-----------------------------------
What i dont like

GRAPHICS:Outdated,close to CFS2.
ONLINE:NO,they are not interested.
MISSION BUILDER:Was not even on their programme they gave the job to a third party amateur 2 months ago.
LOTS OF PLANES IN THE AIR:I think we are going to see something like the BOB movie from the sixties were bombers move all together in a rigid formation.

What i like

SPITFIRE
HURRICANE
ME109
HE111
ME110
JU88
JU87

CAMPAIGN
From what they state it should be a real dynamic hystoric campaign.
RECKON
We should be having real ground reckon, spotting, radar.
SOUND
Authentic engine sounds

What i'm waitting to see

Scenery,will they get the coast,country side and the south right?

manson <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about Dornier Do 17Z-2 ? No participation in BoB ??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Jagd