PDA

View Full Version : Any adv. to hiding in clouds?

Catandra
01-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Situation: you've got ten bandits hot on your tail and angry as hell that you shot down three of their bombers...up ahead beckoning hopefully, is a solid deck of clouds.

Is there any advantage to hiding from the AI controlled planes in them? Or does the computer simply ignore the opaque stuff and attack like it's planes have radar guided gunsights?

My personal observations seem to indicate the latter but I'd like to know from someone out there in possesion of the facts.

SeaFireLIV
01-18-2005, 02:09 PM
There is still a lot of doubt about the AI effectiveness in clouds.

Since 3.03 I have been noticing some interesting things about fighting in AI in cloud.

I have been using full clouds continuously and have had around 8 missions so far while fighting AI in and out of clouds and so far I have not been shot down once! This is in marked contrast to previous versions where I would never enter cloud because you were guaranteed to be shot down in the middle of it. Some have expressed similar views, others say it`s just fluke.

Maybe it depends on the map flown in (I`ve noticed this difference on the Crimean map, so far). Some say that the clouds are stationery objects on the map, if this is the case then maybe the dev crew are going through each map and making the clouds a `block` to the AI. They just haven`t done them all yet, if you see my meaning.

I posted to Oleg just the other day whether the AI has been made `blind` to clouds, but no response as yet.

Personally, something is different. definitely.

eddiemac0
01-18-2005, 08:38 PM
I've made frequent use of the clouds on USAAF intercepts over New Guinea. Pursuers'll break off if you just hang around in them for a minute or so.

FF_Trozaka
01-19-2005, 05:11 AM
wow Seafire, would be very cool if they fixed the clouds so AI cant see thru... i had not noticed it myself, will pay more attention now, lol.

S!

KarayaEine
01-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Last night I found the AI using clouds to their advantage. it does seem like a change from FB and AEP where they seemed to ignore clouds and act as if they weren't there at all. I plan to try using the clouds myself now just to see if the AI will break off when I head into a layer.

Johann

Gawwad
01-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Hmmm... U are talking about clouds, so: are the new clouds in 3.04 now?
I mean the ones that cover the whole sky?

J_Weaver
01-19-2005, 09:09 AM
No, not yet.

Gawwad
01-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Ah...
Thought so...