PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire..Great Plane...but is it a killing machine??

MB_Avro_UK
04-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi all,

I'm a Brit and I like to fly the Spitfire but I find it quite hard to make a kill. To me it does not appear to be a stable gun-platform when compared to the Hurricane, Tempest,109 or even the 190 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I respect it's turning circle and general performance but that alone does not perhaps make it a 'killer' ?

Just my thoughts...

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

MB_Avro_UK
04-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi all,

I'm a Brit and I like to fly the Spitfire but I find it quite hard to make a kill. To me it does not appear to be a stable gun-platform when compared to the Hurricane, Tempest,109 or even the 190 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I respect it's turning circle and general performance but that alone does not perhaps make it a 'killer' ?

Just my thoughts...

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

John_Wayne_
04-11-2007, 05:08 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

VW-IceFire
04-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Definitely a killing machine but not quite at the same level as the Tempest or 190. Those two are very heavy hitters compared to the Spitfire. The Spitfire is a killing machine because it is relatively easy to fly in combat, relatively fast, relatively good turn, and strong enough. Its a great combination of features (range is somewhat lacking). But it is a bit twitchy when trying to get someone in front of the gunsight.

The problem with a turn fighter, if you fly it as one, is that you get dragged into a fight and that makes you an easier target to someone else.

Feathered_IV
04-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Quite right! I never really fly it myself, but I know for certain that its performance and armament is played down significantly. For proof, I refer you to this thread: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/6331080055

DKoor
04-11-2007, 06:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Spitfire..Great Plane...but is it a killing machine?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No it was originally designated to be a Salvation Army air-vehicle.
Over the time someone ducktaped 7,62's on it and in spite of all awkwardness RAF decided to give it a go.
I reckon that was their last hope or something.

Feathered_IV
04-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I heard it was based on a flying boat that won a race to Australia. Thats why it's made of wood and has such a long range.

leitmotiv
04-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Well, in the mid-'90's there was quite a flap on in FLY PAST about the Spitfire vs. the Hurricane as a gunnery platform. The Hurricane was touted by its wartime users to be a more stable gunnery platform and, by virtue of its concentrated .303 battery, a more devastating .303 weapon than the .303-only Spitfire with its widely separated battery. Game-wise, I find the Spitfire VB and VC to be Murder Inc against some Axis aircraft. It is such a lively airplane, so responsive. Too bad the 109F/190A came along! Aim well and one burst is curtains for a fighter or even a Ju 88. I do not care much for the VIII/IX because of their awful windscreens. I love the XIV in FS9---it is my favorite Spitfire---huge amounts of power and still a maneuver queen.

TheBandit_76
04-11-2007, 10:18 PM
FOR ME, the Spitfires in this game are completely useless. Wobbly and hypersensitive, utterly hopeless for accurate gunnery.

Standard WinBlowz and X45 setup, but the Spit suxxors on my equip.

leitmotiv
04-12-2007, 02:19 AM
Yes, if you are not absolutely in tune with the Spitfire, "responsiveness" can transform into a nightmarish gunnery platform. Somehow I just got used to its sensitivity, which was, after all, why the British pilots loved the airplane. I like flying the I-153, maybe that's why I adjusted to the Spitfire.

ViktorViktor
04-12-2007, 03:05 AM
Do we all agree then that the Spitfire did NOT win the war ?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

ploughman
04-12-2007, 03:19 AM
What war? This is a game.

leitmotiv
04-12-2007, 03:48 AM
Damn, burst my bubble!

Manu-6S
04-12-2007, 04:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
I like flying the I-153, maybe that's why I adjusted to the Spitfire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You like to play with tie fighter too I guess... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

leitmotiv
04-12-2007, 04:12 AM
"tie fighter"?

Manu-6S
04-12-2007, 04:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
"tie fighter"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://starwars.ugo.com/images/games/starwars_xwingvstiefighter/starwars_xwingvstiefighter_1.jpg

carguy_
04-12-2007, 04:38 AM
It is normal that a human,given a fast car with 8 airbags&courtains,ABS,ESP and so on will most likely travel in a dangerous,let alone irresponsible manner.

On a sidenote,if you say that a Spitfire equipped with 4machineguns and two hvy cannons is less of a killing machine then a Bf109 then I`d say you`re the problem.

DKoor
04-12-2007, 04:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by carguy_:
if you say that a Spitfire equipped with 4 machine guns and two heavy cannons is less of a killing machine then a Bf109 then I`d say you have a problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Fixed

leitmotiv
04-12-2007, 05:21 AM
Got it, Manu-6S!

The-Pizza-Man
04-12-2007, 05:23 AM
I find the Spitfire easier to fight with than the Tempest. It seems to have better control harmony.

leitmotiv
04-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Yes.

http://www.directart.co.uk/mall/images/stk0113.jpg

M_Gunz
04-12-2007, 06:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
Hi all,

Just my thoughts...

Best Regards,
MB_Avro. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The later model Spitfire, the more effort it takes to coordinate your flight. Making it worse
is the slip indicator is not a ball you can see while in gunsight view regardless of zoom.
Slip is a needle way down on the lower right of the front panel.

IRL you can feel much slip at all but in sim you get no feel.

And real amounts of slip affects much how well you shoot esp at ranges 200+ meters.

You can get an indirect feel through practice, lots and lots of practice flying only with
view set to include the guage till in time for most conditions you will just 'know' about
how much rudder to put in.

Just don't fly perfect all the time. When you are shooting you need to coordinate if you
want the shots to go where the pipper is pointed but... you also have to adjust for relative
motion of the target, right? So a target plane that is turned a bit, you aim over to that
side, right? The pros will slip their planes a bit at times here and there just to cause
anyone targeting them that much bit of a problem. I learned that from pros btw and just
saw a BoB surviver say the same thing as one reason he did survive... perfect flying all the
time makes you more predictable, when you want to shoot you straighten up and a small bit of
slip (couple degrees perhaps) don't hurt your speed that much (but it's enough you want to
straighten it out for shooting!) is essentially what the man said.

I wonder if the AI is fooled? I know that some people will say for sure not even without
checking.

Viper2005_
04-12-2007, 09:35 AM
If slip affects your gunnery significantly you need to get closer before firing.

IMO the Spitfire is a very effective killing machine, but more importantly, it's an extremely effective air superiority fighter.

horseback
04-12-2007, 10:02 AM
It wasn't so long ago that the forums were full of complaints about the Spitfire being overmodelled, and except for an overdone gunshake, it was to me a joy to fly, and the turn & slip indicator was one of the most accurate guages you could find on an Allied plane. I've not had much chance to test fly it since the 4.07 release, so I can't say if the instruments or gunshake features for it have changed, but I wonder if this is the case.

I'm finding that almost every aircraft in this sim has some new quirks in 4.07/.08, and chief among them is how the turn & bank, or Slip, indicator works.

While the 109 and FW 190 needle and ball remain reasonably reliable and 'honest' with some consistancy, other aircraft have some real problems.

I feel like I have had to completely relearn how to fly the Airacobra after a long absence from its cockpit--I'm doing the Cobras Over the Donbas campaign, and it's kicking my rear right now, because I'm simply not flying the 'Cobra right. I find that I cannot trust my instruments. The compass and the climb indicator are so slow as to be useless. The needle and ball are all over the place at the slightest provocation, and they are persistantly dishonest. On a couple of occasions, I've found my self suddenly over 10 degrees off course, even when I'm scrupulously following my direction finder thingie on the panel (it lies to me too).

What I've started doing is multiple QMBs with Wonder Woman view enabled so that I can use the vector indicator to develop an honest feel for how to fly and trim the plane. To be honest, I really hate having to go to Wonder Woman, but it has become a useful tool for learning accurate trim in the absence of good instruments on the virtual panel.

cheers

horseback