PDA

View Full Version : What ever happend too?

JG26Red
01-09-2004, 03:11 PM
The German plane makers in WW2?

Messerschmit -- i heard still a company but cant make new planes?

Fock Wulf?
Junkers?
Heinkel
Doriner

what about engines?
DB-- mercedes?
BMW - doh
Jumo?

JG26Red
01-09-2004, 03:11 PM

Fock Wulf?
Junkers?
Heinkel
Doriner

what about engines?
DB-- mercedes?
BMW - doh
Jumo?

GODSOCKv2
01-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Heythewha?

Sorry. I'm not sure of what yer talking about. Do you mean that there are no more German planes coming out?

Well, that's true. I'd like to see some more Dorniers.

Future-
01-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Much has changed.... I don't know much, but what I do know is that most of these companies are still in business, although their "products" have slightly changed.

If Mercedes and BMW are still the same ones they were in WW2, they are now most famous for their cars, as well as participating in numerous racing leagues, such as the Formula One (BMW was close to winning last years drivers' championship, but was beaten by Mercedes and Ferrari; in the end, BMW placed 3rd, behind Mercedes in 2nd place and the old and current #1 Ferrari).
If I remember correctly, Dornier was active until a few years ago when it fusionated with another company and formed a new one.
Junkers is out of the business for quite some time now I think, together with Messerschmidt, Heinkel and Focke-Wulf.
I think Jumo was a sub-company of Junkers, specialized on plane engines... but thats a guess I think. Haven't heard anything about Jumo engines as far as I can remember back.

Most of my reply here is guessed, based on what I heard or saw during my life.
I'll do some research over the weekend and post my findings here.

S!

- Future

Commanding Officer of the 530th Bomb Squad
380th Bomb Group 5th AF USAAF

http://invisionfree.com:54/40/30/upload/p1083.jpg

Visit us at http://members.tripod.com/tophatssquadron , home of the 310th FS and the 380th BG

Chuck_Older
01-09-2004, 06:13 PM
I am about 99.99% sure Junkers made the Jumo engine.

This is a public service announcement~Clash

NegativeGee
01-09-2004, 07:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG26Red:

Fock Wulf?
Junkers?
Heinkel
Doriner

what about engines?
DB-- mercedes?
BMW - doh
Jumo?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Messerschmitt survives today as part of the Messerschmitt-Boelkow-Bohm (MBB) group. Its is still very much involved in cutting edge warplane construction, and is substantially involved in EuroFighter.

After WW2, it was not allowed to produce aircraft. It survived by moving into new areas, including construction, and even made the famous bubble car.

Willy Messerschmitt returned to his company after release from prision, and remained there until late in his life.

Focke-Wulf (later VFW) survives, in part today, as part of EADS Space Transportation, which is active in the Ariane launch system.

Heinkel was also part of the amalgamated VFW, and as such still exists today.

Many other German companies that manufactured well known weapons in WW2 survive today..... Porsche, Mauser and Krupp are other examples.

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall

http://www.invoman.com/images/tali_with_hands.jpg

Look Noobie, we already told you, we don't have the Patch!

[This message was edited by NegativeGee on Fri January 09 2004 at 06:16 PM.]

[This message was edited by NegativeGee on Fri January 09 2004 at 07:16 PM.]

[This message was edited by NegativeGee on Fri January 09 2004 at 07:22 PM.]

jamieandnici
01-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Good question. I didnt think that Junkers MADE the Jumo engine though. I think that only Heinkel used that particular engine in their A/Cs. ie. HE 111 bombers. Junkers would of been far too busy to concentrate on engines and plane production at the same time. But heh, you could be right. Dont know what happened to good (or bad depending which side of the fence you see him on!!) old Willy Messerschmitt though. Kinda faded out as he was still alive at the end of the war.
Most aero-engine companies turned to car designing and engines by the 1950's. Look at BMW, FIAT and Mitsubishi all classed as AXIS companies all still around today design cars etc. Who says it doesn't pay to lose a war!!!

SUPERAEREO
01-09-2004, 08:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamieandnici:
Good question. I didnt think that Junkers MADE the Jumo engine though. I think that only Heinkel used that particular engine in their A/Cs. ie. HE 111 bombers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite true: the Fw.190 D's engine was a Junkers Jumo 213...