PDA

View Full Version : Calculating target speed

Carlos1123
04-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Now, this can be done ONLY though the periscope since I have the WO and exterior camera disabled. Also, I can't lock the target and use the watch on the notepad because this won't work.

Basically, what I need to know is what distance do the upper lines in the periscope mean at certain ranges. If you know the range of your target, and what the lines mean on top of the periscope, then you can divide the distance that the target has moved by the time you obsered it and you will get the speed. You may have to do some conversions later on to change the speed to Knots.

I think this is crucial when you're going to shoot a torpedo, just try changing the speed of target on your TDC and notice the projected line of the torpedo's course move dramatically. You may have all the other measurements correct, but if the speed incorrect then you have a high probability of missing your target.

Carlos1123
04-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Now, this can be done ONLY though the periscope since I have the WO and exterior camera disabled. Also, I can't lock the target and use the watch on the notepad because this won't work.

Basically, what I need to know is what distance do the upper lines in the periscope mean at certain ranges. If you know the range of your target, and what the lines mean on top of the periscope, then you can divide the distance that the target has moved by the time you obsered it and you will get the speed. You may have to do some conversions later on to change the speed to Knots.

I think this is crucial when you're going to shoot a torpedo, just try changing the speed of target on your TDC and notice the projected line of the torpedo's course move dramatically. You may have all the other measurements correct, but if the speed incorrect then you have a high probability of missing your target.

EFileTahi-A
04-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi, why do you say that locking the target and using the watch on notpad does not work?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/EFileTahi-A/EFile_Torpedo.jpg