PDA

View Full Version : MSFFB2 boffins: a query

Cold Meat Platter
02-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi Folks
Is there any difference between the two variants of force feedback 2s apart from button colour? Am I correct in saying the one with the red trigger is newer?

Bearcat99
02-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Yes you are correct. I believe the ones with the red buttons were made after XP was released. I cou7ld be wrong though. I have both.

Cold Meat Platter
02-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Just got myself a second on ebay as my current is starting to show its age. I really love these sticks.
Any differences in build quality, motors etc. between the two models Bear, or is it just the buttons?

SeaFireLIV
02-02-2007, 09:54 AM
"59 pence please" - shopkeeper

For some reaosn I really like that quote. Dunno why, it doesn`t mean anything really. Perhaps it`s because it`s so... British?

Er, as for the topic, sorry, no idea. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

major_setback
02-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Ah, good question. I notice a difference between the two, and had thought about asking this question myself.

A while ago I was having trouble with the older version of the MSFF2, the buttons weren't working as they should, so I bought my brothers stick of him (he never used it). His was the newer type with the red light, and red buttons.
The newer type has a rubberised handle. The stick's functions are the same as those on the older version.

I'll do a comparrison of the two. Note that I use the same settings for both sticks: dead-zone set to zero, and using the same in-game stick settings/profile (always default).

I notice quite a difference between the newer and older sticks as far as performance is concerned! This could be due to wear on my older stick though. One difference is that the stick is a lot 'tighter', it feels as though there is even less dead-zone on the newer one (due to wear on the old one possibly).
The big dissapointment with the newer stick for me is that the force seems to be stronger (too strong) near the centrre position, I used to find that the force gradually increased the more I moved the stick from the centre, now it seems strong even on the slightest movement, which is constricting in flight (wear on the older stick might also account for it's feeling 'looser'). I can't do quick ''jinxing' movements as easily, the stick is a bit too 'heavy' for that. I'ts VERY responsive though.

I'm very happy with the stick though, it feels very robust, even more so than the older one. It even feels like there are better motor/magnets making the forces (and this might not necessarily suit how you fly).

I'm quite sure a bit of tweaking of the in-game settings could cure the problems I've mentioned above (forces too heavy near the centre of the stcik) [does anybody know if this can be cured in-game? Do the in-game adjustments change the forces, or just the amount of response/deflection of control surface from the stick?].

The problems I've mentioned are really only slight, and anybody not doing a direct comparison probably wouldn't tell the difference between the two.

Let me/us know how you get on with the new stick. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif