PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

russ.nl
09-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Why do you think the releases take so long and delay so often? Have you ever considered the pressure all these posts are putting on the developing team? They want to finish in time. But we are such a critical, (both positive and negative), and demanding community. They just can't let us down because there is a real band between them and the community. Something you will not see in a huge company where its ALL about dollars. We should be thankful for that. This is a dilemma to. Is there a band because they depand on us? What if we were not so demanding? Would they still work so hard to perfect and enlarge the game if we were not? I don't know the answer to these questions. But this post came to me because of all the japping and moaning of some people, the simhq article and the reply from luthier on a post. Give them some slack, you know its coming soon.
Thank you,

Willey
09-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Only Oleg knows, and I think it's just his passion http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Let's wait another ubi (=2 weeks), and patches will rain from the sky! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

crazyivan1970
09-15-2005, 07:27 PM
This post is much better then the other http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Firebird_79vRAF
09-15-2005, 08:46 PM
~S~

I think what it comes down to for most people is that there is some big announcement

"PATCH ?.?? COMING 04 April 2005!!!" or something like that.

Then 2, 3, 4 weeks later and no patch and no mention of what is happening annoys them.

Mad props out to Oleg and crew for this fine *** sim.

neural_dream
09-16-2005, 05:59 AM
It's funny how usually the ones who keep whining and demand timeliness are the ones who in their life never finish THEIR job in time.

and as for the often repeated argument that without whining this sim would never have become what it is, that's BS. Our devotion and his passion is what motivates Oleg, not the ".50 are porked" and the "where is the patch" threads.

AFSG_Bulldog
09-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Well IMHO, it would seem that when an announcement is made that a patch will be released on a given date (or timeframe), most people believe that statement to be true.

I also realize that sometimes a bug will rear its ugly head at the last moment and make the published release date an unachievable milestone. However, a revised date of "soon" is not an acceptable timeframe. If one of my real life projects goes south just before the acknowledged completion date, and my boss askes "well when then" and I reply "soon", you can bet that I will be looking for work elsewhere. I am expected to know exactly when it will be completed. The same goes for the patch developers. If they don't know when... who should know better. So I am sure someone there should know exactly when this patch will be ready for release.

It would be best all around if the developers never said a word about any future patch in the works and just release it when it is done and say "surprise ... Enjoy the new patch" and be done with it.

I have enjoied every patch and accepted it gratefully. Sometimes the patch corrected things I was never aware of and changed some things I was. Sometimes the FM or DM changed making the sim easier and sometimes harder. I just adapted to the new environment and went on having tons of fun (after all every patch make this sim a new game all over).

I am also grateful that this sim isn't like other companies (M$) who never release patches and claim that their sim is perfect just as it is. All the while abandoning their open archeticture based sim to be fixed by the simming community.

If there was never another patch released I would still fly this sim and still have fun doing it. In fact, I never even think of patches until someone from the development team makes an announcement that one is being developed.

So if the development team is feeling pressured by the community, it is of their on making. If they just made periodic announcements on the status of the patch (which they announced would be released) 99% of the people would just shut up and wait for it. It is the silence that is so irritating.

Just my 2 cents, pfennig, rubel, shilling what ever.

VW-IceFire
09-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by russ.nl:
Why do you think the releases take so long and delay so often? Have you ever considered the pressure all these posts are putting on the developing team? They want to finish in time. But we are such a critical, (both positive and negative), and demanding community. They just can't let us down because there is a real band between them and the community. Something you will not see in a huge company where its ALL about dollars. We should be thankful for that. This is a dilemma to. Is there a band because they depand on us? What if we were not so demanding? Would they still work so hard to perfect and enlarge the game if we were not? I don't know the answer to these questions. But this post came to me because of all the japping and moaning of some people, the simhq article and the reply from luthier on a post. Give them some slack, you know its coming soon.
Thank you,
Certainly right.

From what I understand, they have one employee who is working on this stuff while the rest of the team is working on the next generation product.

That one guy is doing a hell of a job and I look forward to seeing the future additions to this fantastic series...which are coming to us for free...with no strings attached.

Some people are just "I want it now" mentality spawned by the television/fast food/instant world setup.

stansdds
09-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Would it be too difficult or too demanding to ask that one person to send out a quick post indicating that a problem with a promised patch has been found and it will likely be delayed "X" amount of time? The long time of silence that passes between updates or between the declared release date and the actual release are just frustrating.

polak5
09-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Some people are just "I want it now" mentality spawned by the television/fast food/instant world setup.

really. they should give those kids their ritalin soo they calm down till patch release.

They just cant be appreciative that someone is willing to give them free planes, with no "strings attached".

regards, Los

ManicGibber
09-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by AFSG_Bulldog:
Well IMHO, it would seem that when an announcement is made that a patch will be released on a given date (or timeframe), most people believe that statement to be true.

I also realize that sometimes a bug will rear its ugly head at the last moment and make the published release date an unachievable milestone. However, a revised date of "soon" is not an acceptable timeframe. If one of my real life projects goes south just before the acknowledged completion date, and my boss askes "well when then" and I reply "soon", you can bet that I will be looking for work elsewhere. I am expected to know exactly when it will be completed. The same goes for the patch developers. If they don't know when... who should know better. So I am sure someone there should know exactly when this patch will be ready for release.

It would be best all around if the developers never said a word about any future patch in the works and just release it when it is done and say "surprise ... Enjoy the new patch" and be done with it.

I have enjoied every patch and accepted it gratefully. Sometimes the patch corrected things I was never aware of and changed some things I was. Sometimes the FM or DM changed making the sim easier and sometimes harder. I just adapted to the new environment and went on having tons of fun (after all every patch make this sim a new game all over).

I am also grateful that this sim isn't like other companies (M$) who never release patches and claim that their sim is perfect just as it is. All the while abandoning their open archeticture based sim to be fixed by the simming community.

If there was never another patch released I would still fly this sim and still have fun doing it. In fact, I never even think of patches until someone from the development team makes an announcement that one is being developed.

So if the development team is feeling pressured by the community, it is of their on making. If they just made periodic announcements on the status of the patch (which they announced would be released) 99% of the people would just shut up and wait for it. It is the silence that is so irritating.

Just my 2 cents, pfennig, rubel, shilling what ever.

I agree with ya Bulldog, better to give no date than to say 1 week before the end of a particular month that a patch is "planned" to be released, then 3 weeks into the following month no mention of an updated time-frame, and patch is where exactly in this "planned" time-frame?
It seems to me that "planned-patch-release-date" is always under-stated by about 1 month and it also appears that first date given is 7 to 10 days before the end of said, "planned-patch-release-date" month. Maybe adding 1 month to the "planned-release-date" would allow more time for any anomalies that may/may not happen with less pressure for Oleg and team and if patch arrives early all whining is "nipped in the bud", stopped for those who hate cliche's.
When planned dates are given I add 1 to 1.5 months and sure enough works for me. There is no sense blaming kids for their instant gratification mentality, after all, who teaches them this very same behaviour, besides whats the point in making children feel guilty for being children. It would appear that we adults need to grow up just a touch rather than the kiddies hhmm?

russ.nl
09-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Quote: "I also realize that sometimes a bug will rear its ugly head at the last moment and make the published release date an unachievable milestone. However, a revised date of "soon" is not an acceptable timeframe. If one of my real life projects goes south just before the acknowledged completion date, and my boss askes "well when then" and I reply "soon", you can bet that I will be looking for work elsewhere. I am expected to know exactly when it will be completed. The same goes for the patch developers"

Hmmmm...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gifThey are doing this for free, they have no responsibility to us regarding this. We are in no position to demand.

Quote: "The long time of silence that passes between updates or between the declared release date and the actual release are just frustrating."

Not to offend you. But aren't there more important thinks to get frustrated over then a free patch for a computer game?

neural_dream
09-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by AFSG_Bulldog:
after all every patch make this sim a new game all over
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif which is why this game lives so long http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif