PDA

View Full Version : Some nice reading

dbuff
11-10-2005, 07:10 AM
http://64.70.201.125/wings/part2/12_wilkins.html

We all like to read related info -
Thought I would pass this on.

Qouting part of it :
In November Pappy Gunn's remarkable talent for turning A-20s into formidable staffers was turned towards the B-25s that were the staple of the 3d Attack Group's assault on enemy air fields and shipping. First, the bomb sights were removed. In a low-level, diving attack from only a few hundred feet, they were unnecessary. In the bomb sights vacant cavity in the nose of the bombers Pappy mounted four, forward-firing .50-caliber machine guns to augment the two 50s on either side of the fuselage.

The prevailing theory was that with such formidable a fusillade, the bombers could come in fast and low with guns blazing to clear the deck of a ship moments before skipping a 500-pound bomb into its side. When used against enemy airfields, such formidable incoming fire power could drive anti-aircraft gunners for shelter while the B-25s made their low-level pass to drop parafrags. These small, 23-pound parachute-deployed explosives in turn would explode on impact or with only a brief delay, shredding enemy fighters and bombers on the ground.

Enjoy...

Kuna15
11-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Nice read.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Waldo.Pepper
11-10-2005, 12:14 PM
No doubt they were effective. But if you read Fire in the Sky - there is a great passage in there about how some B-25 crews didn't let off the trigger. They fired their guns while on a straffing run till all but one of the forward firing guns had jammed from overheating/whatever.

If there fire discipline was better, I think they would have gotten even more out of their equipment.

Now before someone thinks I am being critical of the crews I am not. I don't think that mere mortals could have managed any better fire discipline.

Other passages tell of them coming back with bits of Japanese bodies plastered all over the outside of their planes.

It is a good read.