PDA

View Full Version : What's with the damage?

F22Apache
05-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Gotta love the flight dynamics and everything, but there's always been something that got to me in this game, and today, i just can't take it anymore. I was flying with an ME-109, following a Mig. I spent 80% of my ammo on it taking it out of the sky. I'd fire in bursts, and each time i shot, i'd see shrapnal. Why arn't these planes going down? I always see in real footage planes going down after a burst or two. There's no way the structure of a plane could take much more.

Tully__
05-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Some real aircraft have come home with over 100 cannon shell holes in them. There are photos around the internet of several examples. If nothing vital is hit, the plane wont go down.

You need to learn to concentrate your fire on a vital part of the target. For the MiG's, the wing roots and inner part of the wings, engine and cockpit are vulnerable.

Also be aware that shooting from directly behind your target may produce a lot of hits but very little damage. The internal armour and the very oblique angle at which the shots are hitting the fuselage and wing skins will both contribute to protecting the target from your bullets when shooting from this area.

ImpStarDuece
05-30-2005, 11:31 PM
What model of the 109, with what armament?

If its a 109E I'd be really suprised, they have effective cannons and light MGs with incidnaries.

If it's a 109F2 I wouldn't be suprised. The 15mm is a bit of a pop gun.

109F4 or later they upgraded the nose cannon to 151/20 a 20mm cannon. The Mg151/20 does currently lack the essential MG shells, but you can still take down a lot of enemies if you hit squarely.

Apart from the bug in the belt loading for the MG151/20 there are a few other reasons why your target isn't going down.

1) Your shooting at dead 6. Most planes have their armour designed to defeat dead six shots, so it actually provides the least likelyhood of a sucessful attack.

2) You aren't hitting as much as you think

3) You are hitting with MGs only. You still get schrapnel but a pair of light MGs doesn't exactly rip up a target, even something as fragile as a MiG.

4) You aren't firing with cannons. Check your controller assignments and make sure that you are firing both MGs and cannon.

NonWonderDog
05-30-2005, 11:41 PM
For better or for worse, you'll hardly do any damage at all when firing from dead six. This is especially true when using small/medium caliber machine guns. There just isn't much of anything to damage in the rear fuselages of most planes. On top of that, everything you'll hit is at a huge slope relative to your rounds; your shots are likely to be deflected away from anything vital.

Try to fire only at close range, at deflection angles greater than 20-30 degrees.

Your targets are the cockpit, engine, wing roots, and belly, in roughly that order. Any shot that doesn't allow you to hit any of those is probably not a shot worth taking.

Try flying something woefully underarmed, like a Ki-43-Ia. Or just fly the 109 without firing the cannon(s). You'll soon learn that the only way to do real damage is with deflection shots.

F22Apache
05-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys. I figured it would have been something like that. I just wanted to ***** a bit http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
I just posted another question, feel free to answer that one too

JunkoIfurita
05-31-2005, 02:38 AM
Heh heh, you really learn about the power of deflection shots the first time you take a P11c up against a 109E4.

He's got about three times your top speed, so the only shots you have are 60-90Degree deflection shots, but when you pull it off your chances of hitting nice soft fuel tanks or even pilot/canopy are exponentially higher than if you come in dead 6.

----

Huckebein_UK
05-31-2005, 04:10 AM
I just luuuuuuurve flaming A6Ms and Ki 43s in my Gladiator - there's a map on UKDedicated on which I always fly a Gloster. My team-mates' Hurricanes make 'em turn, then I flame 'em or kill the pilot with very high angle deflection shots in the turn. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif