PDA

View Full Version : New FM and existing missions/campaigns

Tallyho1961
04-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Hypothetically, does anybody know what effect(s), if any, a new FM, if there were ever to be such a thing, would have on existing missions? In other words, would missions written under the current FM still 'work' in the context of a new, more advanced FM that might become available at an unspecified future date? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

AVG_WarHawk
04-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Good question! IMHO, Some missions that are already taxing my mediocre PC to the limit, will probably need a trip back to FMB for reduction in forces. The changes in AI FM's may in rare cases also require adjustments. But, for me realistic FM's is what it's all about, looking forward to v4.0.

3.JG51_BigBear
04-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Its a good question. I don't see why they wouldn't. I would imagine top speeds, range, etc. will remain about the same, just the actual feel of flight will change. The biggest problem will probably be computer dealing with the heavily populated missions.

Warhawk-
Granted I don't know what your system specs are, but upgrading to 1 gig or higher of ram makes an unbelievable difference in how many planes and objects your computer can handle. You can find it on sale all the time and seeing as its so easy to install I think it has the best $/performance increase of almost any upgrade.

AVG_WarHawk
04-05-2005, 07:28 PM
BigBear you hit the nail on the head http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif. At present I have 640mb ram, which maxs out in any mission with 28+ aircraft or less with heavy amount of ground objects mainly artillery & AA.

Been trying to hang on to all my nickels & dimes for a serious upgrade about the time BoB is released. But with all this talk of more realistic FMs in this sim, I guess it's about time to do alittle more for this ole machine before my kids inherit it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

VW-IceFire
04-05-2005, 08:08 PM
It may influence them in a small way but we've never seen any serious problems when switching FMs around.

Only when more serious changes were made (like the AI landing routines) did we see problems with missions and updated versions. It may up the difficulty level of some missions a bit...but we'll see.

AVG_WarHawk
04-05-2005, 08:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
It may influence them in a small way but we've never seen any serious problems when switching FMs around.

Only when more serious changes were made (like the AI landing routines) did we see problems with missions and updated versions. It may up the difficulty level of some missions a bit...but we'll see. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But, Oleg did say:" the new FM will take more system resources to run "

Olegs last forum update (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=63110913&m=3041012492)

JunkoIfurita
04-05-2005, 10:00 PM
My guess is that the only major problem the new flight model will possibly cause with AI planes in current missions/campaigns will be taking off and landing. It's been a problem before, particularly with flights of transports/bombers...if they are set to take off around a mountain range they can't quite clear, often they'll simply crash 'n burn.

They fixed this in the current DGen campaigns within the current flight model, and FMB-gurus know to work around it. The new flight model MIGHT mean that take-off/landing circuits that worked before could mean a collision now.

But it's also possible that it'll fit the game like a glove http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif We can always hope.

dvergur
04-05-2005, 10:13 PM
I suspect this among other things is something Mr. Maddox & Co. have been testing with the upcoming patch/addon.

S!

Tully__
04-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Play balance may change a little in some missions, CPU load may be an issue for some of the larger missions and the low altitude behaviour may be affected (depends on how much change in the AI routines goes along with the FM changes). Other than that it shouldn't be an issue.