PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated server IL2/BOB operatin system question

AH_Cutora
02-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi,

We will upgrade CZ_AH_Dedicated server now and we have to make a decission about OPERATING SYSTEM for service next 2 years from now. I can ask someone of developers or 1C Maddox games people about:

1) What operating system will be "native" for BOB dedicated server?
2) What operating systems will be supported?
3) Will be BOB Dedicated server just one process aplication (like IL2DS now), or will it be a multi thread aplication?

Thanks for answer,
admins of CZ_AH_Dedicated

WB_Outlaw
02-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by AH_Cutora:
Hi,

We will upgrade CZ_AH_Dedicated server now and we have to make a decission about OPERATING SYSTEM for service next 2 years from now. I can ask someone of developers or 1C Maddox games people about:

1) What operating system will be "native" for BOB dedicated server?
2) What operating systems will be supported?
3) Will be BOB Dedicated server just one process aplication (like IL2DS now), or will it be a multi thread aplication?

Thanks for answer,
admins of CZ_AH_Dedicated

Multi-threaded does not mean multi-processor. The full game (not the dedicated server) runs at least 14 threads. I'm not sure about the dedicated server but I'd bet any stranger's life that is multi-threaded also.

--Outlaw.

AH_Cutora
02-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by WB_Outlaw:
Multi-threaded does not mean multi-processor. The full game (not the dedicated server) runs at least 14 threads. I'm not sure about the dedicated server but I'd bet any stranger's life that is multi-threaded also.

Your right, the question was intended about multicore CPUs. If it will be usable for BOB DS, or if it is meaningles to have multi CPU or multicore computer.

But the most important question about dedicated operating system (WinXP/32bit, WinXP/64bit, Vista/32bit, Vista/64bit or Linux?) for BOB DS is stil without answer.

Thanks,

striker-85
03-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Just a little elaboration on the whole multithreaded / mutlicore CPU issue. When launching the il2fb.exe many threads are launched, I count 18 when launched on my system.

However only one of these threads is the actual game code/engine. All of the other threads are things like msvcrt.dll (7 of the threads on my system) which is a part of the Microsoft C Runtime Library, dsound.dll, dinput8.dll, which are parts of the directx interface, and so on.

My point to this is that the game itself, il2fb.exe, consists of one single thread and this thread is running 99.9% of the time.

To consider the game multithreaded, and then have the ability to run on multiple cores simultaneously, the game engine (il2fb.exe) needs to be programmed as a mutlithreaded application, instead of the single thread it is today.

I haven't looked at the server but I imagine it follows the same practice, the actual server game engine/code is probably a single thread and will execute on a single core at a time.

Hopefully BOB is being developed as a multithreaded application.