PDA

View Full Version : DRM/DDRM for Heroes of Might and Magic VI

Roman_Lajciak
10-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Is there any information yet on what DRM will be used on Heroes of Might and Magic 6? I have bought and greatly enjoyed HOMM 5 and TotE, so I am pretty optimistic that Ubisoft can make a good HOMM game (I didn't like HOMM 4, but loved 3), but I outright refuse to purchase games that use online-based DRM systems, due to the artificial obsolescence they have built-in (once the company retires the servers, goes bankrupt, etc. the game artificially and automatically becomes obsolescent). Ubisoft has become well-known for imposing a particularly draconian online DRM system and I essentially stopped following its games once it became clear they didn't plan to remove it in the near future.

I have only now heard of the announcement of HOMM 6 (since I wasn't paying attention to the company's games anymore) and am wondering if Ubisoft has changed policy on this matter or announced what DRM will be on HOMM 6. If it has changed, I will take more time to learn about the game to see if it seems like an improvement on HOMM 5, but if online DRM remains, there is no point to me trying to learn about and follow the game, since I won't be buying it anyway. So does anybody have any information on this matter? Thanks!

znork
10-01-2010, 10:33 AM
No news

Roman_Lajciak
10-01-2010, 10:59 AM
On another site, I have just been informed that it is as yet undecided, but at least they will not be using the horrible system they inflicted on Assassin's Creed II. They are supposedly even considering using no DRM. I guess that means I will start following the development of the game for now and hope that it won't be for naught (i.e. that they won't use an online-based DRM system).

znork
10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Roman_Lajciak:
On another site, I have just been informed that it is as yet undecided, but at least they will not be using the horrible system they inflicted on Assassin's Creed II. They are supposedly even considering using no DRM. I guess that means I will start following the development of the game for now and hope that it won't be for naught (i.e. that they won't use an online-based DRM system).

Well that is kinda not new news. No offical new or un offical on what is gona happen.

Kartabon
10-02-2010, 04:05 AM
I think they should keep DRM away from this game if they wanna succeed... what I've heard about DRM in other games aren't good news xD

vadagar11
10-04-2010, 06:56 PM
can't they just make us activate the game online then we can use our copy offline as much as we want!!!

its like a compromise, but all in all "constant" DRM is rly rly bad, casue I have limited net access and I can't be online 24/7.

Flying_seal
10-06-2010, 08:44 AM
When i bougth homm 5 game already need to internet. If i wont play on notebook, game not run correctly. Now many people play on notebook. Developers of homm VI consider this?

Orry1992
10-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Flying_seal:
When i bougth homm 5 game already need to internet. If i wont play on notebook, game not run correctly. Now many people play on notebook. Developers of homm VI consider this?
it's up to the publishers, (Ubisoft) Not the developers (Black Hole) on what for of DRM, if any Heroes VI will have.