PDA

View Full Version : Having problems setting up look functions

Jimston2008
05-26-2010, 02:31 PM
So ever since i switched from a game pad to a flight stick, I've trouble finding and setting up my look keys/functions.

It's difficult to try chasing an aircraft that is trying to avoid you, while using the mouse to look around for him at the same time.

It seems once i lose him, i have trouble operating the joystick and mouse at the same time to effectively hunt down my prey.

I have a hatswitch control on my joystick that lets me look around a little, but it's far from easy.

How do you guys fly? is there any way i can use just my joystick to fly and look around at the same time, just like i would with my mouse.

I have a sidewinder precision 2 joystick. I'm having a tough time here, so if anyone could help me to better map my look controls to my joystick, properly, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-26-2010, 03:39 PM
There's a program out there to make the hatswitch emulate a mouse, niewiew I think it's called. That or get TrackIR, lol.

BillSwagger
05-26-2010, 04:08 PM
yes, NewView is what you want.

http://www.newview.hruks.com/download_en.php

I use it for mouse smoothing which is much easier for panning.

I think there is a way to map it so your joystick can also control look views while you fly, i just don't see how that's practical in situations where you'd need to look behind you with out turning.

As for panning with the mouse, it just takes some getting use to. I'd say it took a couple weeks of practice offline before i was able to compete well online.

Bill

Romanator21
05-26-2010, 04:33 PM
I use the stick in my right hand, and mouse in my left. After a few days it will be second nature.

WTE_Galway
05-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Jimston2008:

How do you guys fly? is there any way i can use just my joystick to fly and look around at the same time, just like i would with my mouse.

The majority of serious players use head tracking gear such as TrackIr which lets you change your view by moving your head.

horseback
05-28-2010, 09:27 AM
There is one quick and easy thing you can do using your hatswitch and keyboard in the Snap view function.

Assign a couple of keyboard keys or joystick base buttons to Look Up and Look Down. When you look back left over your left shoulder, pressing your Look Up key will instantly raise your line of sight 45 degrees. If you're following your opponent in a sharp right turn, using the hat switch for +45 degrees will have him on the edge of the screen. Pressing the Look Up key at the same time will put him a lot closer to the center of your FOV. Pressing the Look Down key while looking around in normal flight will allow you to check your instruments and keep an eye out for ground activity.

In Wide Field of View (FOV), this technique will give you almost 100% coverage of what can be seen from inside the cockpit. It takes a bit of practice, but it is a lot cheaper than buying a TrackIR4/5 (a great addition for the committed flight simmer, but pricey).

I never could get the hang of using the mouse look in a dogfight myself, but this system came more naturally to me. The key is to have buttons or keys easily reached by your non-stick hand.

cheers

horseback

Erkki_M
05-28-2010, 09:45 AM
[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=9.0
MinLen=0.01
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=30000.0
Speed=60