PDA

View Full Version : OFF-TOPIC: Life span of next-gen consoles

zoozilla
02-24-2007, 01:16 PM
The great thing about the Xbox and the PS2 was how they evolved. Some of the most recent games for the consoles (Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory comes to mind) look leagues better than some of the first games (Halo aged well, though). What about the 360 and PS3? Some of the games that are just coming out, like Oblivion, are pushing the consoles to their limits (constant stuttering, especially when riding a horse). Have we reached the limit already? Will games years from now look exactly the same as games released now? That's kind of depressing.

JN006
02-24-2007, 03:07 PM
A new console have a life span of 4 years. First party are working on their next console once one is over. The more you learn how to make games with the current generation of console the better you get.

I'd say that with AC (Gears, Oblivion) we've pushed the max out of the 360. This console have been out for a little while and is known for being the easiest one to develop product on, along with the nintendo product. Sony come's last, and everyones agree! We don't have more latitude with the PS3 but I think that last gen of games on the PS3 will be slightly better then last gen ones on the 360. Not much though!

The next-gen consoles are just the around the corner... 2010! That's kind of depresing for some but I can't wait to see the next one! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Product can't evolve undefinitly on one console! It reach a certain level where we are all pushing everything we can on them. (for games where the investement (Time, ressource, money) was the same).

Cheers,
JN006

MrN78
02-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Oblivion Didnt push the 360 to its limits....

The 360 has 3 powered Cores
Oblivion Only used one of em.

So i'm guessing we can expect way more.

XBfreak_101
02-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Actually, Gears of War has not pushed the 360 to the max for 2 reasons, 1) It only uses 2 cores of the 360 2)there are no real physics for the game.

Just because Xbox 360 is easy to work on then the PS#, it doesn't mean that they have fully tapped the power of the 360 yet. I can assure you that GoW 2 will look much better than the first one, and so goes for AC 2.

RetiredHatch
02-25-2007, 01:46 PM
I think JN006 a game developer working on Assassin's Creed itself would know if the 360 is maxed out or not -_-

silentassasin05
02-25-2007, 03:09 PM
While it is my belief that the power of the 360 has been maxed out already, developers will find more efficient ways of creating games, which allows for more content. That is why i think the best games will come at the end of the consoles life span.

JN006
02-25-2007, 10:44 PM
AC is pushing the console to its limits. For the same type of game (Sectorization (free-roaming), graphic style (realism and not cartoon)), you won't get a whole lot more than what you actually have now, in two years.......

When silentassassin05 speaks about "devolopers will find more efficient ways of creating games, which allows for more content" I agree with him.
Better sectorization that allows to efficiently render what pays off visually. New textures coding/procedure (I.e. normal mapping, geo-textures, paralax mapping, displacement, etc).

But within the same type of games, I'd say that we saw mostly what the consoles can spit with games like: R6 Vegas, Gears Of Wars, Assassin's Creed, Army of two (I guess but it's their Montreal studio so I think they are making a nice product) etc...

We won't be able to render more tris or load more textures in the available memory, than what we actually can now.

Innovation is available in the type of gameplay you'd like to present in your game. There space for new stuffs. AC went for the crowds gameplay and superdupper free-step and hicking system.
If a game of tommorow goes for another type gameplay or new gender of game, then, we'll call that pushing it further, but in terms of tris counts, textures, physics, NPCs, maps size, loading, cloths/softbody, sfx, etc...

There is maybe a little more space for improvement but don't think about a huge gap... but anyway, haven't we already made a huge improvement, games have never been that nice looking and fun playing. FYI, I've played games for the last 18 years.

My ops though!
You guys can think what you want.
JN006

XBfreak_101
02-26-2007, 05:13 PM
JN0006, if what you say is true, then will the Xbox 360 easily run this game without any pop ups and framerate issues? It sounds to me that you devs are straining the power of the 360 and I'm a little worried about that? Can you possibly let us know if you guys will make this game as smooth as possible?

Do you know if the textures and details in the game will be much crispier by the final product?

TheRealJimV
02-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Is it true that the current game on ps3 use only 20% of max power of the ps3 ??

Because if it's true imagine game using 100% of power http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

JN006
02-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by XBfreak_101:
JN0006, if what you say is true, then will the Xbox 360 easily run this game without any pop ups and framerate issues? It sounds to me that you devs are straining the power of the 360 and I'm a little worried about that? Can you possibly let us know if you guys will make this game as smooth as possible?

Do you know if the textures and details in the game will be much crispier by the final product?

The 360 will run this game, of course, and as nicely as the PS3 will. What I was saying is that we're trying to deliver as much as we can, no doubt. This means, we're pushing the envelope to its limits.

JN006
02-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by TheRealJimV:
Is it true that the current game on ps3 use only 20% of max power of the ps3 ??

Because if it's true imagine game using 100% of power http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

It's true that most devs are still learning to produce games with the PS3, even SCOE.

rahul911
03-02-2007, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by JN006:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XBfreak_101:

The 360 will run this game, of course, and as nicely as the PS3 will. What I was saying is that we're trying to deliver as much as we can, no doubt. This means, we're pushing the envelope to its limits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But for the ps3 version....doesn't the bluray disk have heaps amounts of space you can use...no game so far has even used half of it...only resistance has the highest so far as it took 16 gigs to make..basically what i'm trying to say...woudn't the blu ray disk make it easier to put more stuff in than a normal dvd lyk for pc and 360 and thus make it an easier task rather than pushing the limits of the console??
( I hope u get what i mean?

noobfun
03-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by rahul911:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JN006:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XBfreak_101:

The 360 will run this game, of course, and as nicely as the PS3 will. What I was saying is that we're trying to deliver as much as we can, no doubt. This means, we're pushing the envelope to its limits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But for the ps3 version....doesn't the bluray disk have heaps amounts of space you can use...no game so far has even used half of it...only resistance has the highest so far as it took 16 gigs to make..basically what i'm trying to say...woudn't the blu ray disk make it easier to put more stuff in than a normal dvd lyk for pc and 360 and thus make it an easier task rather than pushing the limits of the console??
( I hope u get what i mean? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the blue rays storage,

kinda like putting you in a library, it doesnt matter if its a small library or a city museum, you still learn at your rate not the rate of the books available

the blue rays means you can add more textures levels etc you could build a game with a 1000 hours of game play on it but the console can only use that info to its limits

its hardware of the console that dictates where and how it does things such as its processor cores and ram memory

a p2 333mhz pc with a 300 gig hard drive cant compete with a p4 2ghz pc with a 20 gig hard drive

JN006
03-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by noobfun:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rahul911:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JN006:

the blue rays storage,

kinda like putting you in a library, it doesnt matter if its a small library or a city museum, you still learn at your rate not the rate of the books available

the blue rays means you can add more textures levels etc you could build a game with a 1000 hours of game play on it but the console can only use that info to its limits

its hardware of the console that dictates where and how it does things such as its processor cores and ram memory

a p2 333mhz pc with a 300 gig hard drive cant compete with a p4 2ghz pc with a 20 gig hard drive </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif
Exactly! The Blue-Ray doesn't help you process more stuff in real-time. You may have more space to put 10 times more textures but the processor can only compute a certain amount so the game can run at 30fps or more. The library comparison is excellent.

JN006

noobfun
03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by JN006:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif
Exactly! The Blue-Ray doesn't help you process more stuff in real-time. You may have more space to put 10 times more textures but the processor can only compute a certain amount so the game can run at 30fps or more. The library comparison is excellent.

JN006

danke!! ^_^

Warrior-Persia
03-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by zoozilla:
The great thing about the Xbox and the PS2 was how they evolved. Some of the most recent games for the consoles (Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory comes to mind) look leagues better than some of the first games (Halo aged well, though). What about the 360 and PS3? Some of the games that are just coming out, like Oblivion, are pushing the consoles to their limits (constant stuttering, especially when riding a horse). Have we reached the limit already? Will games years from now look exactly the same as games released now? That's kind of depressing.

They have not reached there limit. The stuttering is due to non-familiarity for next gen console developing. In the future the games will start looking alot better.

Warrior-Persia
03-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by noobfun:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rahul911:

the blue rays storage,

a p2 333mhz pc with a 300 gig hard drive cant compete with a p4 2ghz pc with a 20 gig hard drive </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true! Size availability has nothing to do with how much the processor can compute, although the cell processor alone is compared to processors used in supercomputers for one reason. It can process and calculate Trillions information every second. Although just to mention, a game running at 30 FPS would look like ****, especially considering all next gen games try to achieve at least double that amount of frames.