PDA

View Full Version : Bullet counter

M2morris
09-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Has anyone here ever seen a rounds-remaining
counter in their IL2 fighter cockpit?
I never have, I wish I had one.
I usually know about when I'm out of ammo, I can tell when it's gonna be my last burst, but it would be nice to have a number.

LEBillfish
09-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Most German and the Italian planes have them....rest newp that I know of.

K2

dirkpit7
09-15-2008, 11:40 AM
All Bf 109s except Emils and FW190s have them. They're the white bars left of the gunsight.

Brewster Buffalo has also for the cowl MGs, but not for wing guns.

Edit:
If you have Hardball's aircraft viewer, it shows all specific features (including ammo counter) of each plane.

Tranie117
09-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Yeah, great post I was wondering that myself. As far as I can tell the P-38 doesn't have one.

TinyTim
09-15-2008, 11:48 AM
There are some planes with number-counters:

OTOH
Brewster Buffalo (all versions)
Mc202/205
IL-10

dirkpit7
09-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Here's a list, according to Hardball's viewer:

Bf-109
FW-190/Ta-152
Bf-110
He-162
Me-262
Ta-183
Ju-87
Do-335
Mc.202
Mc.205
IL-10
Buffalo/B-239

M2morris
09-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I just went and checked a 109G 1942.
That is cool. Yep,remaining rounds indicators. I obviously don't fly European planes enough.
I spend all of my time in US Navy planes in the PTO.
I think I'll start flying ETO more often. That BF109 feeels good. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/planegeek/grab0000-4.jpg
My graphics are crappy.

Owlsphone
09-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Also, some of the Allied planes such as the Mustang and the Jug will let you know when you're low on ammo by only firing from the inner machine guns.

Erkki_M
09-15-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm not quite sure but I think the F6F also has ammo counter: its the clock-like thingie in the middle of the cockpit, just below the actual gauges panel.

Fiat G50, CR.42 and Yaks too (though in Yaks its just a small red light at the left, it goes on as soon as a gun runs out of ammo)

M2morris
09-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Erkki_M:
I'm not quite sure but I think the F6F also has ammo counter: its the clock-like thingie in the middle of the cockpit, just below the actual gauges panel.

Fiat G50, CR.42 and Yaks too (though in Yaks its just a small red light at the left, it goes on as soon as a gun runs out of ammo)

Your right the Hellcat does have one. Thats the first time I had ever flown that plane.
It's a lotta fun.
Dayum, maybe I should try something bsides Corsair once in a while.

general_kalle
09-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Owlsphone:
Also, some of the Allied planes such as the Mustang and the Jug will let you know when you're low on ammo by only firing from the inner machine guns.

which is not very great because it will also tell your enemy that your out of ammo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
not the best thing to happen

WTE_Galway
09-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by dirkpit7:
All Bf 109s except Emils and FW190s have them. They're the white bars left of the gunsight.

Not that you really need a counter for the mg's on the Emil it pretty much lasts for ever.

I think my best recent Emil single sortie was 3 I16's (with the cannon) and then something like 39 vehicles with the mgs all from a single loadout.

TinyTim
09-16-2008, 06:56 AM
Fw-190A-4 and A-5s also have an ammocounter for the outter MG-FF cannons. Its located in the low centre of the panel, composed of six small vertical bars.

SeaFireLIV
09-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Some Allied planes have their own version of a counter, or rather, a way to tell you when you`re nearly empty.

The Spit and Hurri, I think, stop firing from one gun. I think others change tracer fire colour in the last rounds, although I may be thinking about reality here rather than the sim.

After a while, youlearn to judge them.

general_kalle
09-18-2008, 03:14 AM
the thing about changing tracer or shooting fewer guns is a bad idea in the sim aswell in real life as it tell the enemy that you are out of ammo.

and íts not of much use as you are only told when it's already too late anyway
they should stop firing a single gun when you would aproach the end of ammo. not keep firing on one gun only...

TinyTim
09-18-2008, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by general_kalle:
the thing about changing tracer or shooting fewer guns is a bad idea in the sim aswell in real life as it tell the enemy that you are out of ammo.

and íts not of much use as you are only told when it's already too late anyway
they should stop firing a single gun when you would aproach the end of ammo. not keep firing on one gun only...

You can use it to your advantage too. People usually shoot all the guns they have when having a solution. But if you use a short burst from all guns, and after that a long burst from light MGs only, many times the enemy will "know" you are out of cannon ammo. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyway, stopping firing a single gun towards the end of ammo has it's drawback too - in the heat of battle it's hardly noticeable even to pilot, especially on planes with many guns.

x6BL_Brando
09-18-2008, 06:04 AM
A method which I use for the planes without mechanical counters is to count burst lengths and keep a running total in my mind. It ain't totally accurate but it's a good rule of thumb for when to disengage and run http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Although there are written docs for duration(s) of fire, it's probably easiest to check by going into off-line dogfight mode and firing off the guns while sitting on the ground & counting "one and two and three and......... etc" It takes no time at all really, and you can jot down the figures on a sheet of paper in a trice.

Like I said, it's a rough guide and you will get it wrong now & again - but it's how it was done.

B

TinyTim
09-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Things like this really get me wondering sometimes... they invented nuclear bomb yet they didn't care to equip fighters with unjammable flaps or ammocounters, something that could surely be done with the tecnology of 19th century.