PDA

View Full Version : AC1 combat for AC3, I say no!



HiddenBlade593
12-09-2011, 01:06 PM
I see alot of people saying that AC1 combat was the best, being the most realistic, which I'll agree with.

Thing is, after playing AC1 (Yeah, I started on AC2) I find it very annoying and agitating. You die afton, the counters don't seem as effective/counter timer is low. This had a huge impact on my experience of the game, as well as it being very repetitive, this made me lose interest, and bought me out of my submersion in the experience.

Now, I'll agree AC:B's combat was very easy, but then they raised the bar with AC:R, and I find that perfect, it's a challenge, but comfortable at the same time, I even died a couple of times thinking I could easily take on the Janissaries, not realizing how strong they were, but eventually you learn to over come them, and learn ways of defeating them.

Thing is, I want to be a one man army, that's what Ezio is, that's why he's so bad ***, along with Altair, and the rest of the protagonists that will be in the AC series. That's what makes them so cool, and fun to play.

So my question; Do you think combat should stay as it is? Or should it go to more of an AC1 theme?

<span class="ev_code_RED">H-B</span>

LightRey
12-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Speaking in terms of difficulty, I think it's just right as it is now with ACR. I'm always up for more features thougg.

HiddenBlade593
12-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Oh yeah, I'd love more features, weapons, combo's etc, as long as they follow the same difficulty as AC:R, I think it's really fun but not too easy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">H-B</span>

LightRey
12-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by HiddenBlade593:
Oh yeah, I'd love more features, weapons, combo's etc, as long as they follow the same difficulty as AC:R, I think it's really fun but not too easy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">H-B</span>
Well ditto on that my friend.

naran6142
12-09-2011, 01:18 PM
i think combat is progressing quite nicely in the AC series

AKG32
12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
I definately do not want to be a one-man army in AC3. I hate it when games make you overpowered. Ruins the immersion, imo

Now that doesn't necissarily mean I want to go back to the AC1 combat system, but I don't want it to be as easy and mindless as Brotherhood/Revelations. The one-hit kill combo chains have to go, or at least have to be harder to pull off.

PhiIs1618033
12-09-2011, 01:21 PM
HB, all that is required is a little practice and skill. Then you'll really feel like a killing machine.

HiddenBlade593
12-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by akg32:
I definately do not want to be a one-man army in AC3. I hate it when games make you overpowered. Ruins the immersion, imo

Now that doesn't necissarily mean I want to go back to the AC1 combat system, but I don't want it to be as easy and mindless as Brotherhood/Revelations. The one-hit kill combo chains have to go, or at least have to be harder to pull off.

The Janissaries take 3 hits to kill, can end streaks, kick, grab and shoot you, spear men are very hard to reach and harder to counter, the regular guards get you with throwing knives, guards have bombs, guns too. It takes alot more thought to kill people in this game. (Good god, never thought I'd say that in a forum...)

What do you think they could do to make combat better for you then? I'd like to know. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">H-B</span>

EDIT: Phi, that's the thing, I don't want to play it, because it frustrates me, I don't find it fun and ruins my immersion. I understand practicing is a good thing to do to get better, but this isn't an FPS, I want to be able to get into the game, sure I don't want to go in being amazing right away, but I want to get it after the first 3-4 sequences. Plus AC1 is outdated now, and I'm still on my honeymoon period with AC:R.

I know it sounds arrogant, but that's how I feel about AC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PhiIs1618033
12-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by HiddenBlade593:
EDIT: Phi, that's the thing, I don't want to play it, because it frustrates me, I don't find it fun and ruins my immersion. I understand practicing is a good thing to do to get better, but this isn't an FPS, I want to be able to get into the game, sure I don't want to go in being amazing right away, but I want to get it after the first 3-4 sequences. Plus AC1 is outdated now, and I'm still on my honeymoon period with AC:R.

I know it sounds arrogant, but that's how I feel about AC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
What? Practice upto sequence 3-4 is all that you really need. At least, it was that way for me. Not that I was a killing machine, but it was enough to reduce the amount of desynchronizations to maybe 1 out of 10 fights.

I disagree on the outdated thing. AC1 isn't and never will be outdated. Just like Spyro: The Dragon will not be outdated. For me, it's a classic and, with the way the games are heading now, it will always be my favourite AC title.

HiddenBlade593
12-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Haha, it just seemed weird going from AC2 combat to AC1, I didn't/don't really feel the need to learn it now that I've completed it.

Good god, remember the old PS1 days playing Spryo...ah, those were the days eh? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">H-B</span>

Animuses
12-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm bored of the execution streaks. I'm all for the AC1/AC2 style combat making a comeback.

HiddenBlade593
12-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I think because we're having a new character, they should be locked until later in the game, showing how they progress, and become a better fighter. So they slowly get kill streaks.

<span class="ev_code_RED">H-B</span>

AKG32
12-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by HiddenBlade593:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by akg32:
I definately do not want to be a one-man army in AC3. I hate it when games make you overpowered. Ruins the immersion, imo

Now that doesn't necissarily mean I want to go back to the AC1 combat system, but I don't want it to be as easy and mindless as Brotherhood/Revelations. The one-hit kill combo chains have to go, or at least have to be harder to pull off.

The Janissaries take 3 hits to kill, can end streaks, kick, grab and shoot you, spear men are very hard to reach and harder to counter, the regular guards get you with throwing knives, guards have bombs, guns too. It takes alot more thought to kill people in this game. (Good god, never thought I'd say that in a forum...)

What do you think they could do to make combat better for you then? I'd like to know. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">H-B</span>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Janissaries are pretty much the only thing that makes combat difficult for me, and even they were more annoying than anything else.
But like I said, going back to AC1 isn't really the answer. All I really want is to feel like an assassin, not a warrior. One or two hits should kill you and you shouldn't be able to take on dozens of enemies at the same time.

I think they should focus more on stealth than combat in AC3, especially during the Desmond scenes. Unless all the enemies he runs into only have the baton things they did at the end of AC 2, he'll need to be more sneaky. I mean come on, it's present day! Is Abstergo really too cheap to supply their security force with guns or tazers/tranquilizers? Hopefully changing characters will mean they change up the gameplay a bit. I'll really be turned off if the next anscestor (assuming there will be one) plays and moves exactly like Ezio.

PhiIs1618033
12-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by HiddenBlade593:
Good god, remember the old PS1 days playing Spryo...ah, those were the days eh? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I seriously can't remember how many times I finished Spyro 2 (well, my little brother always did the final battle with Ripto, but otherwise it was all me). Must've been over 10 or something. :P
I even remember my first time playing the game!

UrDeviant1
12-09-2011, 02:13 PM
I like how the combat Is progressing. I like the addition of the Janissary's and Spear Men because they bring In the need for tactics during High Profile Combat, not just mindlessly standing there waiting for your opponent to strike so you can simply press the counter button.

The thing I did like from AC1 was being unable to rely on Medicine during a fight, this made you feel like you could actually die In a fight, as opposed to applying Medicine at the press of a button.

So yeah, If anything does make a comeback Id hope for It to be something to do with the health regeneration system.

ProdiGurl
12-09-2011, 02:13 PM
I'll agree AC:B's combat was very easy, but then they raised the bar with AC:R, and I find that perfect, it's a challenge, but comfortable at the same time,

This is exactly my experience w/ ACR & why I love the missions so much. The combat & mission sync's were varied - some were not hard, but most had some challenge to them or were pretty difficult to sync.
ACB was a struggle for me from start to finish.

I like a difficult challenge, but not to where I'm ready to throw the remote into the TV screen.

I've never played AC1, does somebody have a youtube of a fight scene they like from it?


I'll really be turned off if the next anscestor (assuming there will be one) plays and moves exactly like Ezio.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif Well, if they're from Desmond's ancestry then they have to walk exactly like Ezio It's really commanding tho, I like it.
Alot. AC3 will really be interesting to see what they do.

HiddenBlade593
12-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by akg32:The Janissaries are pretty much the only thing that makes combat difficult for me, and even they were more annoying than anything else.
But like I said, going back to AC1 isn't really the answer. All I really want is to feel like an assassin, not a warrior. One or two hits should kill you and you shouldn't be able to take on dozens of enemies at the same time.

I think they should focus more on stealth than combat in AC3, especially during the Desmond scenes. Unless all the enemies he runs into only have the baton things they did at the end of AC 2, he'll need to be more sneaky. I mean come on, it's present day! Is Abstergo really too cheap to supply their security force with guns or tazers/tranquilizers? Hopefully changing characters will mean they change up the gameplay a bit. I'll really be turned off if the next anscestor (assuming there will be one) plays and moves exactly like Ezio.

This annoys me a bit, there are plenty of opportunities for stealth in the game, I'd say a good 7/10 can be done stealthily. Alot of the missions, you can't run in and kill everyone, I think there's a great balance of stealth vs blood thirsty fighting. I think people don't realize that they most of the missions, if you choose to, can be done really easy by using stealth. Alot of missions have the "Don't be detected" which means you're forced to play stealthily.

<span class="ev_code_RED">H-B</span>

rileypoole1234
12-09-2011, 02:16 PM
I agree with the OP. That'll be all http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

HiddenBlade593
12-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by rileypoole1234:
I agree with the OP. That'll be all http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Thank you good sir!

And to you LR!

<span class="ev_code_RED">H-B</span>

ProdiGurl
12-09-2011, 02:22 PM
HiddenBlade
Alot of missions have the "Don't be detected" which means you're forced to play stealthily.

The bombs imo are what really caused me to do alot more plotting and planning w/ my approach in the stealth missions.
I didn't care for them when I first started but I've come to rely on them in some missions.
I still miss my instant smoke bomb for quick escapes.

But the missions that disappoint me are when I'm told I can't kill anybody at all.

HiddenBlade593
12-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
HiddenBlade <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Alot of missions have the "Don't be detected" which means you're forced to play stealthily.

The bombs imo are what really caused me to do alot more plotting and planning w/ my approach in the stealth missions.
I didn't care for them when I first started but I've come to rely on them in some missions.
I still miss my instant smoke bomb for quick escapes.

But the missions that disappoint me are when I'm told I can't kill anybody at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I do love the bombs, I was worried Ubi would focus on those too much and ruin the game by making alot of missions rely on bombs, but I think it was done just right, and even though the Piri missions did include alot of hand holding, it's taught me good situations in which to use certain bomb types and vice versa.

Just do an impact bomb with your desired powder (I love Arabic, and British, but Arabic is more common, so I use that most of the time.) and use the phosphorous, agreed it's not as fast which is annoying, I do think they need to be dropped quicker. I also love Caltops too, same effect as the AC2 and AC:B smoke bombs too!

I do see where they come from with the "Don't kill anyone though" because it's not always necessary to kill people, and stealth is a major aspect of being an Assassin, regardless of how fun it is to just run in! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">H-B</span>

eagleforlife1
12-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
Speaking in terms of difficulty, I think it's just right as it is now with ACR. I'm always up for more features thougg.

Good lord, I agree with LightRey for once http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif.

AKG32
12-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by HiddenBlade593:
This annoys me a bit, there are plenty of opportunities for stealth in the game, I'd say a good 7/10 can be done stealthily. Alot of the missions, you can't run in and kill everyone, I think there's a great balance of stealth vs blood thirsty fighting. I think people don't realize that they most of the missions, if you choose to, can be done really easy by using stealth. Alot of missions have the "Don't be detected" which means you're forced to play stealthily.

<span class="ev_code_RED">H-B</span>

I try to play stealthy as often as possible, but stealth in this game boils down to hiding in small groups or standing around a corner. It would be a lot better if they had a sound or light/dark system as well. I always find it odd when I assassinate a guard and lets out this huge death cry that the other guard five feet away with his back turned doesn't notice.

The stealth gameplay really depends on social stealth, which makes trying to stay out of sight on rooftops/in the hidden tombs more a pain in the *** than anything. You're limited to hanging off a ledge or standing behind a structure that's taller than you. Even the ability to crouch would make things better

Actually, crouching and the addition of some sort of cover mechanic would be two relatively easy ways to make the game feel a lot fresher. I wouldn't be opposed to some Splinter Cell styled stealth being implemented along with the social stealth they have now for the next game. The light/dark thing probably wouldn't work, but definately the sound system they use.

And it would be nice if guards actually reacted to finding a dead comrade's body more appropriately, as opposed to the forgetful "I'll get whoever did thi- what was I talking about?" thing they do now. Maybe going into high alert or something and calling out for any nearby backup

ProdiGurl
12-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by HiddenBlade593:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
HiddenBlade <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Alot of missions have the "Don't be detected" which means you're forced to play stealthily.

The bombs imo are what really caused me to do alot more plotting and planning w/ my approach in the stealth missions.
I didn't care for them when I first started but I've come to rely on them in some missions.
I still miss my instant smoke bomb for quick escapes.

But the missions that disappoint me are when I'm told I can't kill anybody at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I do love the bombs, I was worried Ubi would focus on those too much and ruin the game by making alot of missions rely on bombs, but I think it was done just right, and even though the Piri missions did include alot of hand holding, it's taught me good situations in which to use certain bomb types and vice versa.

Just do an impact bomb with your desired powder (I love Arabic, and British, but Arabic is more common, so I use that most of the time.) and use the phosphorous, agreed it's not as fast which is annoying, I do think they need to be dropped quicker. I also love Caltops too, same effect as the AC2 and AC:B smoke bombs too!

I do see where they come from with the "Don't kill anyone though" because it's not always necessary to kill people, and stealth is a major aspect of being an Assassin, regardless of how fun it is to just run in! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">H-B</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree w/ why some missions were no kill - just that I felt challenged in case anything happened & guards came after me.

I liked the same ones, I always used impact shells, always used Arabic or or british powder & I liked phosphorous. I tried that skunk oil & it worked good.
But in mission where you couldn't be detected, I didn't know if lambs blood or skunk oil would still allow them to see me, so I kept to the smoke w/ sulfur.

I mostly used Datura - had lots of that. I never used Caltrops tho, I'll have to try that.
I only did 2 of the Piri missions - those were kool and helpful.

luckyto
12-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Janissaries stepping back and shooting you is far less fun than anything in AC1. AC1 is not THAT hard, and requires only the smallest amount of skill. If you gave it an hour or so to adapt back to playing it, you'd have no problem.

Problem is, that you've been conditioned to the easiness and the loose response of AC2 and beyond. Once you recondition yourself, the combat will be much better.

I personally don't find the ACR combat to be ALL THAT. It's better than Brotherhood, but it has its own problems.

xCr0wnedNorris
12-09-2011, 03:13 PM
All you have to do to win EVERY fight in AC1:

1. Hold down high profile button.
2. Spam either Armed Hand button, Legs Button, or Unarmed Hand button.
3. Profit.

Wasn't by any stretch of the imagination difficult. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

luckyto
12-09-2011, 03:32 PM
That's one way to do it. Not very pretty, but I guess it does get the job done. Though, I think each of the games has their easy way out option.

BK-110
12-09-2011, 05:00 PM
I very much like the direction combat took in ACR. The difficulty was pretty good, especially when playing without armor. But I'd say that they should implement a difficultly system, perhaps making enemies more or less prone to counter and/or cancel executions, giving them more or less health and perhaps making them more or less aggressive. That way, gamers of all levels could enjoy the game equally.

NewBlade200
12-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by HiddenBlade593:
The Janissaries take 3 hits to kill, can end streaks, kick, grab and shoot you, Janissary guards were easy to kill. Just dodge and use your fists and they go down faster than if you use any other weapon http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

LightRey
12-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by NewBlade200:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HiddenBlade593:
The Janissaries take 3 hits to kill, can end streaks, kick, grab and shoot you, Janissary guards were easy to kill. Just dodge and use your fists and they go down faster than if you use any other weapon http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Really? They really have to do something about the hand-to-hand combat system.

rileypoole1234
12-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NewBlade200:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HiddenBlade593:
The Janissaries take 3 hits to kill, can end streaks, kick, grab and shoot you, Janissary guards were easy to kill. Just dodge and use your fists and they go down faster than if you use any other weapon http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Really? They really have to do something about the hand-to-hand combat system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually was caught a bit off guard when I first faced off against them. They are quite a bit more difficult than any guards in ACB. Haven't tried fist fighting with them just yet though. If that's true, they should at least be able to block your fists. Maybe even a patch would do.

Animuses
12-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Imo the Janissaries show if you want more complex guards, the execution streaks need to go.

kriegerdesgottes
12-09-2011, 07:22 PM
This is off subject a little but did you guys know if you go up to the red areas where there are lots of janissaries you can hide in their tents? I just discovered this today and I was like no way! why is that so cool to me? I don't know but I didn't know about it till today.

AKG32
12-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Animuses:
Imo the Janissaries show if you want more complex guards, the execution streaks need to go.

Or at least be much harder to execute

A combat system where some enemies could counter your attacks, and you could counter their counter, and so on would be cool, as long as it didn't get too out of hand and was fluid. Closer to sword fights you see in movies

Sarari
12-09-2011, 07:34 PM
I think they should add different levels of different guards, like AC1. The harder guards were the 2nd level, 3rd, 4th, and then there was the fifth. They all looked the same though, which for some reason looked cool. In fact, the way the Christian guards looked like in AC1 looked a lot cooler and more of a templar style. AC1 had a better style showing the templar people. Second came ACR in that.

I think they should also give back the physics of fighting that AC1 had. Like now when you hit a guys sword, blood comes out, as if you hit his arm or something. Before, you hit pure sword, and make the perfect clinging sound. And the moves were a little more fluent on how the guards' defense was broken down. Before, they fell back a little, and shifted a little bit each time. Now it's like a frame by frame looking animation every time you hit them.

As you can see, there are a lot of things I liked about AC1 over the others. But I'm more of a realistic playing person and a person who's into classic games.

Bipolar Matt
12-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Disagree whole-heartedly with the OP. That was part of the challenge of AC1 that is notably absent from the following games. Until you're well-practiced and know what you're doing in combat, you're in deep trouble if you run into a Templar early on in AC1 with only 5 sync bars. Even some of the more brute-style guards could wear you out at the start of the game. There was an actual sense of danger and a need to be on top of your game. That is what I miss from AC1.

Sarari
12-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I miss the blinking sound it made in AC1. It made you extra careful, but sometimes, I can get a little irritating.

Il_Divo
12-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by akg32:

Or at least be much harder to execute

A combat system where some enemies could counter your attacks, and you could counter their counter, and so on would be cool, as long as it didn't get too out of hand and was fluid. Closer to sword fights you see in movies

Agreed, it needs some kind of limitation. Make it so that all "special guards" (Brutes/Seekers/etc) are immune to execution strikes, or make it so that regular guards can dodge them (similar to AC1), or make every successive "execution" harder to pull off. But it does need some kind of limitation factor.

BK-110
12-10-2011, 12:53 PM
I have suggested this several times, but why not make more enemies like Cesare and the Janissaries. They can block kill streaks and in some cases stop them completely. Combining that with more aggressive guards that will constantly try to attack you while on a streak, by attacking, kicking and holding you, and of course adding more guards with weapons you cannot counter, making it so that you have to dodge instead of countering to keep your streak going, the combat would likely be quite a bit more difficult.

E-Zekiel
12-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by BK-110:
I very much like the direction combat took in ACR. The difficulty was pretty good, especially when playing without armor. But I'd say that they should implement a difficultly system, perhaps making enemies more or less prone to counter and/or cancel executions, giving them more or less health and perhaps making them more or less aggressive. That way, gamers of all levels could enjoy the game equally.

In terms of difficulty, I agree. I do think it could stand to be less clunky, though. In terms of flow/polished-ness, AC:B is the best so far.

RzaRecta357
12-10-2011, 01:08 PM
I don't enjoy the streaks. I find them cheesey. I really liked the timed combo attacks you had to do in AC1.

Sarari
12-10-2011, 01:23 PM
I agree. The combos felt smooth....if that makes any sense. And I was never able to predict exactly when they would counter it.

Rea1SamF1sher
12-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Alot of missions have the "Don't be detected" which means you're forced to play stealthily.
Assassin's Creed is actually a Stealth Game (Social Stealth). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Other then that. AC1 is already not that difficult in Combat. Counter Attacks weren't as easy to pull of as it is now. It required good timing and if you can do it, it was really rewarding to kill soldiers with counter attacks.

Additionally the soldiers attacked a lot more and didn't care if another soldier already attacks you.

What you want is a Rambo Game what ASSASSIN's Creed was never supposed to be. An assassin isn't a one man army. He is the one who kills one guy to safe thousands of others.

At least for me Altair and Ezio in AC2 are so fun to play because they are assassin's and follow the Creed. So you can actually get into the imagination of playing an assassin other then playing another one man army guy game. I think we have enough of them.

To answer the question. It should go more the AC1 theme and improve the system from there.

Sarari
12-10-2011, 01:50 PM
The thing is, Ubisoft will never do that. More people are enjoying the series and where it's heading than us people who believe it could've gone in a better direction. As long as Ubisoft has the people right where they want them - which they do - they won't change it.

It's a shame really. The series could've been a hit every year it came out.

Serrachio
12-10-2011, 02:28 PM
In regards to the bombs, I felt that Tripwires were too awkward to use.

Setting them made you vulnerable, and for all that Eagle Sense did, it was still hard to predict guard paths.

They were a fun concept, but you'd be a lot more sneakier with a Fuse Shell.

I put it down to the aimability of the Lethal bombs. Why set a tripwire when you could just throw that Shrapnel bomb from a distance, so that you don't get caught?

It was also annoying that civilians could set them off, because while Constantinople was a busy, busy city at that time, it kind of ****ed me off that I could place a tripwire and then 3 seconds later, some dumb NPC would come along and **** my preparation up.

...Not to mention that while I kind of like the money that Thieves bring in from pickpocketing them all, if I need them to follow me, I don't want to have to stand there and wait while they rob every single idiot that walks past them.

Dagio12
12-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Serrachio:
In regards to the bombs, I felt that Tripwires were too awkward to use.

Setting them made you vulnerable, and for all that Eagle Sense did, it was still hard to predict guard paths.

They were a fun concept, but you'd be a lot more sneakier with a Fuse Shell.

I put it down to the aimability of the Lethal bombs. Why set a tripwire when you could just throw that Shrapnel bomb from a distance, so that you don't get caught?

It was also annoying that civilians could set them off, because while Constantinople was a busy, busy city at that time, it kind of ****ed me off that I could place a tripwire and then 3 seconds later, some dumb NPC would come along and **** my preparation up.


I enjoyed the bombs quite a bit, but your right, using the tripwire did make me want to pull my hair out sometimes. Id prepare an awesome poison set up for guards coming around the corner, only for some old lady to set it off and kill 2 innocents while the guards just stand there unaffected.. haha.

I did enjoy the time I placed a tripwire explosive infront of a templar den door, then I snuck up on the roof and made myself known... then I watched the cowardly captain B line it for the safety of his den... 3..., 2...., 1... BOOM! no more captain. haha. Good times

Dagio12
12-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Sarari:
The thing is, Ubisoft will never do that. More people are enjoying the series and where it's heading than us people who believe it could've gone in a better direction. As long as Ubisoft has the people right where they want them - which they do - they won't change it.

It's a shame really. The series could've been a hit every year it came out.

You have to understand though, that what makes a hit for you, may not be a hit for the majority. Either way, I dont think anyone can really predict that if they took a different direction, that it would have turned out better.. or worse for that matter.

Sarari
12-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Oh my god. The first time I tried a tripwire bomb was a few days ago. I never bothered using them because I always had about 3 shells of them but I checked it and it was full. So I used it.

I was setting the tripwire on the streets, not knowing that civilians can activate it. So I was so excited and I was like OHHHH HERE IT COMES!!! And literally half a second later after I planted it it exploded and killed 3 or 4 people. I was like WHAT THE HELL!!! Lol it was pretty funny though. How it just blew up in my face hahaha.

Serrachio
12-10-2011, 03:48 PM
One last bomb post from me, because it's derailing the thread slightly, but I wonder how well a combo of using a throwing knife to set off a tripwire could be if civilians didn't set it off?

You could set up a Tactical/Diversion Tripwire a little way off and then you can set off a fake coin shower with a knife that has all the civilians all pile and start a huge fight, so the guards have to go in to sort it out while you run in undetected.

The whole tripwire situation can be explained by having the tripwire underneath the ground (in the case of that bomb mission, it would be under the wooden boards of the dock) civilians wouldn't be affected because their footsteps won't set off a pressure plate that the guards would with their heavy armour. The Knife would sink into the ground on impact though, setting the bomb off when required.

On topic with the combat though, I felt that some counters were too drawn out to be stylish enough.

I believe there is two that come to mind, one where Ezio lifts them up and slams them into the floor (not Counter-Slam), but he takes too long when they're on the ground by taking his blades out one after the other. I would have figured that by slamming them into the floor, he would have ripped his blades out just by the force of gravity.

The other is one where I think he stabs them in the stomach with the blade and then in the neck with the hook and then lifts them over his head and throws them behind him. Normally, that on its own would be sufficient, but then Ezio aims his gun behind him and shoots them. Again, I'd have thought that throwing them away from him would do enough damage to be lethal, as the blades are pulled out.

Sarari
12-10-2011, 04:28 PM
I think the new kill animations are horrible. I can name several moves, and see if you remember them.

1. Hookblade counter: He sticks his blade into the guys stomach. Then, he literally carefully aims the hookblade into the guys face, then flips him over his head. That's probably the worst hookblade counter. I don't like any of its counters as a matter-a-fact.

2. Sword counter: The one where he sticks a sword into a guys stomach and punches him like 10 feet back. How is that even possible. It's so cartoony. As the same move except he uses a gun to shoot him back.

There are so many other moves that are over done just to look cool, and I don't see how people like them so much. I like the original ones from AC1 along with a few new ones.

RichardHaro
12-10-2011, 04:32 PM
You die afton, the counters don't seem as effective/counter timer is low
THIS IS A GOOD THING.


AC is WAY too easy. It's like playing a movie. It's almost IMPOSSIBLE to die. I didn't die ONCE during the entire of ACR.


Ubisoft need to add in difficulty levels:

- Casual (for casual players who don't want any challenge, currently what the series is at)
- Normal (expect to die a few times)
- Hard (Be stealthy, and be prepared to run the hell away if you get discovered and there are more than 2-3 guards)

Sarari
12-10-2011, 06:01 PM
I didn't die ONCE during the entire of ACR.
Same, and I beat the game without any armor...pretty sad. I also got the Ishak Pasha armor a week after I beat the game just for the hell of it.

OnizukaSensei
12-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Simply, the animations don't transition well as they did in AC1, nor do they have some of the simple sounds in AC1 for some of the old animations for whatever reason - those original sound bites were more realistic than the ones we have now.

And yes, Sarari. I didn't even die once during Revelations.

Try doing this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izI0oZilgRE) in AC1.

Agreed, it's remedied in AC:R, but not to an extent that I'd run for my life...medicine still nullifies that. Seriously, it needs to go; the regenerative synch bars in AC1 were fine, and added a layer of difficulty, since you had no control over your health.

Sarari
12-11-2011, 08:36 AM
And the old sync bar made more sense with the animus. I don't get how giving yourself health will bring you back to full sync.

Anyway, that video just shows that it's impossible to die in ACB xD