PDA

View Full Version : "Please be aware that this is not available in the US."

VF51_Flatspin
05-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Right smack at the bottom of the announcement for PE-2.

Forgive me if I've missed an explanation of this on one of the other 50 or so threads, but as the US is where I lay my hat am I supposed to go to these sites and order my copy of the game and pay in Euros or Pounds? Or is there a US site out there hiding??

georgeo76
05-03-2006, 02:12 PM
The add-on is technically not available in the US. However, many US pilots (including myself) have purchased the add-on through one of the European stores.

VW-IceFire
05-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by VF51_Flatspin:
Right smack at the bottom of the announcement for PE-2.

Forgive me if I've missed an explanation of this on one of the other 50 or so threads, but as the US is where I lay my hat am I supposed to go to these sites and order my copy of the game and pay in Euros or Pounds? Or is there a US site out there hiding??
Just goto the UK site, look'er up, put your credit card in and voila. Thats what I'm prepping to do myself....and with the Canadian dollar having been rarely higher than this since 1978 I think I've chosen just the right time!

Crash_Moses
05-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Yup, got mine from the UK website.

Word of warning though; it seems Visa debit cards won't work. It's an issue with their Verisign fraud protection. I had to borrow my parents MasterCard in order to buy it (37 years old and still sponging off Mom and Dad...sheesh!).

S!

Waldo.Pepper
05-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Better give it back then.

goshikisen
05-03-2006, 04:36 PM
I made the purchase from the UK site... pretty straightforward. Just be mindful of the language selection. Somehow my Boontybox installation began in French. I had to go into the settings and change the language preference to English, pause the download, and restart.

If you follow either Luthier's instructions or 2005AD's (on SimHQ) you should have a clean installation within 15 to 20 minutes.

Regards, Goshikisen.

p.s. I'm in Canada.

PF_Coastie
05-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Crash_Moses:

Word of warning though; it seems Visa debit cards won't work. It's an issue with their Verisign fraud protection. I had to borrow my parents MasterCard in order to buy it (37 years old and still sponging off Mom and Dad...sheesh!).

S!

My Visa Debit worked just fine.

Crash_Moses
05-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by PF_Coastie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crash_Moses:

S!

My Visa Debit worked just fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good news! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

It seems to be an issue with the card issuer. Some lenders don't participate in the Verified by Visa program and/or allow certain transactions (i.e. overseas). Just depends on where you got your card and whether or not you've activated the VeriSign feature, I guess...

VF51_Flatspin
05-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Still, I'm a little...okay...a lot torqued by this. Why are they sending things out to specific geographic markets only?

Somebody should lose their job over this, and I mean this with all the love and compassion I have in my heart.

Waldo.Pepper
05-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Why are they sending things out to specific geographic markets only?
Maybe you could ask the attorneys for Northrop Grumman.

WTE_Galway
05-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Why are they sending things out to specific geographic markets only?

One suspects its the same reason the complete DVD is available in Canada but not the US.

Bussard_1
05-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Flatspin,
in a similar vein, you might explain to me why when I purchase modelling surplies online at the Squadron Shop or books from Monogram,or Shiffer or some PC games /accessories or operating system software from USA those prices are expressed in US$ and not AU$, further why are most MS operating system downloads offered with a cd purchase option only in US and Canada while we faithful Antipodean US allies make do with download only?
No the WWW isn't fair, sorry the ball bounced the wrong way for US clients THIS TIME.
Suck it up troop!, move on!

madsarmy
05-04-2006, 01:37 AM
The Gold Pack was not available in the U.K.

At least you have the option to download.

MrBlueSky1960
05-04-2006, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Crash_Moses:

Word of warning though; it seems Visa debit cards won't work.

C_M, that's Boll#cks mate... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I used mine no problem... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Pig_Mac
05-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Maybe to prevent people from yelling about the +VAT?

VF51_Flatspin
05-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Bussard_1:
Flatspin,
in a similar vein, you might explain to me why when I purchase modelling surplies online at the Squadron Shop or books from Monogram,or Shiffer or some PC games /accessories or operating system software from USA those prices are expressed in US$ and not AU$, further why are most MS operating system downloads offered with a cd purchase option only in US and Canada while we faithful Antipodean US allies make do with download only?
No the WWW isn't fair, sorry the ball bounced the wrong way for US clients THIS TIME.

Frankly, no, I'm NOT going to explain to you why you choose to do business with certain companies. That's apples and oranges, so don't turn this into a flame war.

In most cases, I'm a straight-up fanboy of anything IL-2. But to me, if it says "not avail. in the US" it isn't intended for us. So from a purely business and marketing standpoint (of which I have some singular knowledge) it's a bad move. That is and was all I was saying.

LEBillfish
05-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Hmmm.....Guess some have never tried the AltaVista/Bablefish translator that translates everything from one language into weetawd....Anywho, consider possibly something was lost in the translation?

Could it "possibly" of meant that it "could not be downloaded from the U.S. site?".....hmmm.....Well being you can download it from any other Ubi site but, even if you're in the U.S. I'd guess that would be it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Now that may sound terrible, but the AUstrailians don't even have a website among others who almost require it due to language restrictions!!!

Sadly however.......I stupidly took your advice to heart assuming U.S. citizens were not allowed to have it, so booked a flight to England, then to France, then thought on it and best get it from the source so on to Russia....Naturally PE2 being illegal, I realized I could get in real trouble bringing it back into the U.S. so had to think fast....Now I'll tell you what, I didn't think of it till after but I could probably just have stored it on my laptop and they wouldn't of checked.....So consider doing it that way as rat holing a CD Jewel case was not fun......Guess I should have gone with the duct-tape to the small of the back idea....Yet when you panic you know how it is........Very uncomfortable flights home....Anyone have any prune juice? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Ok, that might of been a lie, well probably, well is most deffinately.......I just downloaded it from the Ubi.UK site without a hitch. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

VF51_Flatspin
05-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Heh heh, yes yes...funny!

Still missing the meat of the point.

There have been, in the past, "add-on's" that were not intended for other markets. Originally, that was what I was asking: is it really for us? Is there a local site? There was sufficient response to that.

So let me clarify my 2nd and 3rd posts: If you market a game to 3 countries - lets call them: Ilyooshia, Simpatica and Farmlandia. Then, you put out an update that says "this is not available in Farmlandia" that's just nonsense and should be accountable. It does beg questions. So I asked, even as my Farmlandia brethren were rushing out to download the update from available sources.

That is all. Seriously...why does everything in this forum have to degrade to this level? You'd think I just ran over someone's cat instead of asking a question and saying (as others have) that it could have been done better.

Thanks for your contribution Billfish. BTW, check your own grammar before launching comments regarding language usage and "weetawd" insults.

Crash_Moses
05-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by MrBlueSky1960:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crash_Moses:

C_M, that's Boll#cks mate... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I used mine no problem... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol...roger that! See my second post. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

S!

WTE_Galway
05-04-2006, 05:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bussard_1:
Flatspin,

Frankly, no, I'm NOT going to explain to you why you choose to do business with certain companies. That's apples and oranges, so don't turn this into a flame war.

In most cases, I'm a straight-up fanboy of anything IL-2. But to me, if it says "not avail. in the US" it isn't intended for us. So from a purely business and marketing standpoint (of which I have some singular knowledge) it's a bad move. That is and was all I was saying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you fish around you will find threads that hint at why the US might have been excluded from both the complete DVD and the PE2 release, someone even mentioned in this thread the company involved in the legal action. Its not UBI or Maddox games you should be angry at.

Ernst_Rohr
05-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Actually, it makes no difference WHERE you are for downloads on the internet, and with banking systems the way they are now, pricing and currency exchange mean jack.

Im sure the whole deal with "not availible in the US" has to do with some idiotic legal issue. Big deal. Its on the wire and availible, so why not get it.

Normally the folks "over there" are the ones getting the short end of the stick, and you never see them whine like some of the US folks have here. Its a global economy? Who cares?

I routinely order stuff from Europe, hell, if I could order some of the German and Belgian beer I like from the interent, I would do it! Even if its in weird currency! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I think this whole thing is a total non-issue.

VF51_Flatspin
05-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
If you fish around you will find threads that hint at why the US might have been excluded from both the complete DVD and the PE2 release, someone even mentioned in this thread the company involved in the legal action. Its not UBI or Maddox games you should be angry at.

Now THAT makes sense! Stinkin' lawyers.

IVJG51_Animal
05-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Bussard_1:
Flatspin,

Errrrr.......cuz the US and Canadian market represents over 350 million customers........most have computers.

IVJG51_Animal
05-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Here's the point that is buggin' Flat and other American buyers. The statement on the UBI site doesn't say that "It's only available in the UK and France." The statement specifically excludes the USA. Not Canada, Austrailia, Brasil, and everybody else. It smells of anti-Americanism. Unfortunately it's in fashion, but that doesn't make it right, especially from a business perspective. Without an explanation from UBI, it's easy to jump to the conclusion that they are taking a jab at their largest market for political reasons. Is it asking too much for an explanation?

Animal

VT-51_Razor
05-08-2006, 12:56 AM
The notion that this whole mess, or misunderstanding depending on your point of view, has anything to do with the Northrup-Grumman issue boggles the mind. How could the N-G lawyers have anything to say about marketing an add-on to this game that has absolutely no N-G content in it whatsoever?!! The DVD I could possibly understand, but this add-on doesn't make sense. I mean, Pacific Fighters is already out there. N-G has already extracted their pound of flesh from whomever. It's a dead issue. If it wasn't, we would all have Homeland Security banging on our doors wanting to see our hard drives!

I think that this was just a colossal blunder on somebody's part in the UBi marketing department. I'm inclined to buy Billfish's idea that what they really meant to say was that it could only be purchased from one of the European sites. The reason for this escapes me, but it probably has something to do with money, exchange rates, or something like that. I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out why UBi does some of the weird things they do. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

WTE_Galway
05-08-2006, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by IVJG51_Animal:
Here's the point that is buggin' Flat and other American buyers. The statement on the UBI site doesn't say that "It's only available in the UK and France." The statement specifically excludes the USA. Not Canada, Austrailia, Brasil, and everybody else. It smells of anti-Americanism. Unfortunately it's in fashion, but that doesn't make it right, especially from a business perspective. Without an explanation from UBI, it's easy to jump to the conclusion that they are taking a jab at their largest market for political reasons. Is it asking too much for an explanation?

Animal

Canada, Australia, Brasil do not actually have UBI shops AFAIK .

I believe the correct wording was probably meant to be something along the lines of "the product is not available from the US online store" .

Bearcat99
05-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by MrBlueSky1960:

C_M, that's Boll#cks mate... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I used mine no problem... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Initially ther were problems with it... I wound up having to use another card.... that was after I got a copy throug Pay Pal from someone else.

Bearcat99
05-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by IVJG51_Animal:

Animal

While I agree with you... and I wonder where UBI would be without thise greenbacks.... it is what it is and it is available at the UK site in English.... but yeah.. it is kinda rank that these folks continuously thumb the U.S. at least in this sim.