PDA

View Full Version : X-52 viable HOTAS???

imn2sims
11-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Anyone using the Saitek X52 yet? Just
wondering if this is a good alternative
to a Thrustmaster Cougar for those that
don't want to fork out the BIG $s. Seems
to be getting good reviews.

The_Great_Stonk
11-24-2004, 03:41 PM
moreover, is the stick centering mechanism less prone to sticking and grinding ?

Hunter82
11-24-2004, 03:45 PM
seems fine so far...improvment over the X36 and X45 but 1 major design flaw IMO. They used a S-Video style adapter to join the sticks...this easily loses the connection if moved and it snags on something (keyboard etc)

imn2sims
11-24-2004, 04:01 PM
I think I could live with that if the stick
centers OK and feels smooth. Can you comment
on that and the programmabilty please, thanks.

Hunter82
11-24-2004, 04:25 PM
stick is smooth no doubt. Uses the same sst software as before. I do like the fact the mode is on a rotary now instead of a button.

overall it's a good stick. I prefer the twist rudder over the rocker also

Chivas
11-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Like I've said before it wasn't love at first sight but its growing on me quick. The StarWars look does't do it for me.

I had problems with the stick losing connection at times but that seems to fixed since I removed the Cougar and MSFB2 software.

The Joystick is definitely smoother than the Cougar without the Mods. Infact I never used the Cougar joystick for that reason, opting for the MSFB2 inconjuction with the Cougar throttle. The joystick is much larger than the MSFB2 so has a much longer throw. This made fine tuning the kill shot much harder for me, but I'm starting to get used to it.

Most of the programming software is very easy to use with enough options to do without the keyboard. The documentation could be better. I'm having trouble setting up the buttons on the microstick to emulate the right and left mouse buttons. Its just not reacting like I think it should.