PDA

View Full Version : P-38 Engine Fires

Priest185
07-23-2005, 12:39 AM
Have had a high number of engine fires in the P-38 secondary to ground fire lately. The thing that gets me is the inability to put them out, or once they're out, the inability to keep them out.
Engine Fire Sequence:

1.Select Affected Engine
2.Shut down selected engine
3.Cut throttle to selected engine
4.Feather Prop of selected engine
5.Select functioning engine before returning throttle to normal setting

So, no fuel to the engine, engine off, and prop feathered. No extinguisher available, so is there anything I'm missing? I can get the fire out, but the halfway RTB, it flares up again and won't go out.

Suggestions?

PlaneEater
07-23-2005, 12:45 AM
Unfortunately, engine fires that you can't put out are one of the shortfalls of the IL-2 engine.

In real life, unless it was a fuel line that was hit or the fuel tank itself, 99% of the time you would set the mixture to "idle cutoff"; when the fuel feed to the engine was stopped, the engine would suck the last bit out of the lines (thus leaving no fuel in the engine) and stop. You'd dive, the fire would--hopefully--go out, and you'd ok.

The 'fire goes out' part seems to not be included. It just gets suppressed at high speed.

AerialTarget
07-23-2005, 01:59 AM
The good news is that there appear to be no consequences to having an engine fire in a Thirty Eight, other than loss of speed. So it makes up for it.

stansdds
07-23-2005, 11:07 AM
Yeah, but doesn't that leave a nice smoke trail for someone to follow?

IL2-chuter
07-24-2005, 11:59 AM
How about when the fire burns out as you get an out of fuel message . . . you're gliding in for a landing . . . then just before touchdown the fire kicks in again?!? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif What the hell is it that starts burning again? Fortunately, the fires burn at a temperature less than the melting point of aluminum http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif.

Stackhouse25th
07-24-2005, 12:22 PM
yeah why do the fires continue to burn uncontrollably when their is no fuel left?

Hiriyu
07-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Stackhouse25th:
yeah why do the fires continue to burn uncontrollably when their is no fuel left?

Conceivably, if the motor is badly enough damaged, you could be burning oil out of the sump. I'm sure that that was not the intent by design, but we can pretend http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

stansdds
07-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Engine oil is a possibility. It takes a lot of heat to start an oil fire, but once it starts, it's really hard to extinguish. I guess about the only thing harder to extinguish would be burning tires.

fordfan25
07-24-2005, 11:05 PM
iv wounderd about this sence i first played FB lol.

PapaG39
07-24-2005, 11:15 PM
ha ha...il2 builders are just great at building beautiful cockpits and multitudes of aircraft...their expertise stops there.
Its the little things like this that sours me on so much of il2.

WOLFMondo
07-25-2005, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by stansdds:
Engine oil is a possibility. It takes a lot of heat to start an oil fire, but once it starts, it's really hard to extinguish. I guess about the only thing harder to extinguish would be burning tires.

Could even get hot enough to set the aluminium on fire.

Z4K
07-25-2005, 07:52 AM
Every time I get an engine fire (typically in the Bf110), I turn the magnetos off as well.

Don't know if it helps, or if it's modelled (have always wondered why they were there...) but my engine does sometimes self-extinguish.

Aaron_GT
07-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Have had a high number of engine fires in the P-38 secondary to ground fire lately.

I have been noticing a lot of engine fires in the P38 too. Online at the weekend the fighter bomber missions seemed to be: take off, get to target at 10,000 feet, acquire target, do bomb run, get engine flamed on egress, put out fire, feather prop, get shot down due to slow speed.

No problems with the fires going out, I just seemed to be picking up lots of hits. I suppose there is more engine to hit than in a single engined plane, though.

AerialTarget
07-25-2005, 08:09 PM
I don't have a lot of engine fires. My primary method of getting shot down is - don't hold your breath - having my tail blown off by a Mark One Oh Eight, usually from a considerable distance. My secondary means of getting downed is pilot death from German twenty millimeters.

It's annoying.

Skoshi Tiger
07-25-2005, 08:37 PM
In real life, unless it was a fuel line that was hit or the fuel tank itself, 99% of the time you would set the mixture to "idle cutoff"; when the fuel feed to the engine was stopped, the engine would suck the last bit out of the lines (thus leaving no fuel in the engine) and stop. You'd dive, the fire would--hopefully--go out, and you'd ok.

In real life the Idle cutout dosen't actually stop fuel going to the engine. just stops the fuel passing through the carburetor. So the engine would stop when you select Idle cutout. (a good thing)

To stop the fuel supply going to the engine there should be a fuel **** (ok if i can't say fuel ****, I'll say switch! Happy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) that would allow you to turn off the fuel to the engine.

Unfortunately the engine would still contain a large amount of oil which would be in a tank somewhere close to or on the engine. (I an assuming that the alison engines were dry sump!) If it was an oil fire you would not have much control over the suppy of oil.

Although diving may put out the fire, it would also supply more oxygen to the fire that would increase the temperature, which may have the unfortunate affect of burning the engine nacelle / wing off the side of the aircraft.

JadehawkII
07-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Has anyone ever tried the Fire extinguisher? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I seem to get lucky using this flying the 38. I used a combo of diving and turning this on to get out the fire.
But in any case, I head straight for home and yes turn off the fuel and keep an eye out for that dam engine fire flairing up again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

AerialTarget
07-25-2005, 09:24 PM
You are using an old version. The fire extinguisher was taken out in the patch. But I don't know what version you have that allows you to adjust the mixture.