PDA

View Full Version : Why is Assassins creed brotherhood for pc delayed till 2011?

OneLancer94
11-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Why is the AC: brotherhood for pc delayed till 2011 and the rest of the platform get to play 1st?

Eziosantos
11-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Ubi hasn't said anything on why they delayed it.The best reason could be is that PC has a certain set of standards and a lot of people have different types of standards on their PC.For us consoles,Ubi knows how they work and how to make the game run on every console.

Hopefully that answers your question,even though i didn't really come out very clearly on it.

OneLancer94
11-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Eziosantos:
Ubi hasn't said anything on why they delayed it.The best reason could be is that PC has a certain set of standards and a lot of people have different types of standards on their PC.For us consoles,Ubi knows how they work and how to make the game run on every console.

Hopefully that answers your question,even though i didn't really come out very clearly on it.

I dont think it's because of the pc standard.. just like AC2 it's delayed for pc last yr as well. Plus the DRM just ****es me off. Whats the point of having a DRM if all of the pc gamers cant play because of server down, maintainence, crash whatsoever. Although i do understand that the new DRM is to stop crackers from cracking it because of the fact that if released to steam, it'll be cracked very soon. Why dont ubi just simply break their corporation with steam and release the games on their own? This alows players to play without connection, not worried that the DRM will crash and that everyone cant play till it's fixed. Making crackers unable to crack easily.

Eziosantos
11-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by OneLancer94:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eziosantos:
True.They are also maybe fixing the DRM from what I've heard is people

I dont think it's because of the pc standard.. just like AC2 it's delayed for pc last yr as well. Plus the DRM just ****es me off. Whats the point of having a DRM if all of the pc gamers cant play because of server down, maintainence, crash whatsoever. Although i do understand that the new DRM is to stop crackers from cracking it because of the fact that if released to steam, it'll be cracked very soon. Why dont ubi just simply break their corporation with steam and release the games on their own? This alows players to play without connection, not worried that the DRM will crash and that everyone cant play till it's fixed. Making crackers unable to crack easily. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>True.They are also maybe fixing the DRM from what I've heard is people were complaining about the DRM cuz it didn't work(even though you're not complaining http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)But still think about the positive thing about the delay.Would you rather (a)Have a complete,nearly bug-free game (with a possibly fixed DRM)that runs well on you're PC? or (b)Have the game released on the same day as consles,with gamebreaking bugs.or worse,not being able to run on you're PC? I'm pretty sure A is the choice all gamers want,Console and PC players in all.

OneLancer94
11-07-2010, 10:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OneLancer94:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eziosantos:
True.They are also maybe fixing the DRM from what I've heard is people

I dont think it's because of the pc standard.. just like AC2 it's delayed for pc last yr as well. Plus the DRM just ****es me off. Whats the point of having a DRM if all of the pc gamers cant play because of server down, maintainence, crash whatsoever. Although i do understand that the new DRM is to stop crackers from cracking it because of the fact that if released to steam, it'll be cracked very soon. Why dont ubi just simply break their corporation with steam and release the games on their own? This alows players to play without connection, not worried that the DRM will crash and that everyone cant play till it's fixed. Making crackers unable to crack easily. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>True.They are also maybe fixing the DRM from what I've heard is people were complaining about the DRM cuz it didn't work(even though you're not complaining http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)But still think about the positive thing about the delay.Would you rather (a)Have a complete,nearly bug-free game (with a possibly fixed DRM)that runs well on you're PC? or (b)Have the game released on the same day as consles,with gamebreaking bugs.or worse,not being able to run on you're PC? I'm pretty sure A is the choice all gamers want,Console and PC players in all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well you hav a point. But i believe that there WILL be bugs, minor or major, whether it's on pc, released a few days later or feb 2011, or any other consoles. In other words, it's not really fair to pc gamers who wants to play ACB on pc.

LCGuardian
11-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Ah, the golden question. I've seen a variety of rationales given by Ubi representatives (forum managers) and fans for this, but Ubisoft has never given anything firm in an official statement as far as I can remember. The closest I can remember was the Twitter announcement of the AC2 delay where they said it was to produce the best product. Which is helpfully specific.

But here are what I think the possibilities are:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Optimising for a variety of PC hardware - seems to be a favourite among console AC players looking to give a reason for the PC delay (this isn't aimed directly at you Eziosantos). As far as I know this has never been given as a reason for the later release dates for the AC PC titles by Ubi. I'm not personally convinced - other developers and publishers can get their PC and console releases simultaneous even with the need to optimise for PC hardware.
<LI>Piracy prevention - raised as a possibility by fans last year when the DRM accompanied the PC release of AC2. As I remember though, the forum managers shot this down. But honestly it seems like a strong possibility.
<LI>Game breaking bug specific to the PC version - from memory this was the reason Kleaneasy passed on for the late release of the PC version of AC2. Possibly convicing for that (we don't know enough), but given ACB is running on the same engine and shares a lot of its assets with AC2, probably not convincing now for ACB.
<LI>Encouraging players to switch to the consoles - I've never seen an Ubi rep suggest this (it would probably be suicide) but it does seem to fit with the late releases if the other reasons are ruled out. The question is why they want to do this - can't be profits, because I believe that PC games are generally more profitable in the absence of console licencing fees. Possibly links to piracy, since after all Ubisoft are the developers of one of the software world's most draconian DRM systems.
[/list]

I tend to favour the last, but I really don't know the reason why Ubisoft would want to discourage the PC as a platform in favour of consoles. Especially when other developers seem to be starting to say that the PC is an important platform and should have an equal or greater development emphasis (as an incomplete list off the top of my head of this, I can think of recent DICE comments about Battlefield 3, the decision to release the DLC for Bioshock 2, and Treyarch moving back towards PC specific featues like mod tools for Call of Duty Black Ops), this position seems jarring and out of step with industry trends. All that said, its just my speculation. And given Mr Shade seems to be in the dark about the rationale for the delay, and given he is both an Ubisoft employee and a PC gamer (I think, apologies if I'm wrong Shade) then we probably will never get a reason made public.

OneLancer94
11-08-2010, 03:08 AM
I just saw some interviews on ubisoft discouraging PC to other platforms whereas all of the popular games prefer pc. ubi has alot of explaining to do as to why is ACB delayed, why they discouraged PC to other platforms.

Cpt_Yanni
11-08-2010, 04:02 AM
That's pretty much bull**** (that Ubi is one of the few that discourage PC). Most devs prefer the consoles because the piracy on it is way lower than on pc...

Windrius
11-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Cpt_Yanni:
That's pretty much bull**** (that Ubi is one of the few that discourage PC). Most devs prefer the consoles because the piracy on it is way lower than on pc...

What the hell are you talking about?
Consoles have the most pirates.
There were millions of xbox accounts (or how ever it works) banned last year, because they used pirated games.
Consoles don't even need any cracks. I'm not sure how it works, but I saw ACII in torrents on consoles the same day it was out.
So either ubisoft are ignorant and just plain stupid or it's not the piracy reasons.

I mean no bugs could actually last 4 months to fix.
I get the feeling that they work way slower or start working later on the PC version.
Or again they are just stupid and do it cuz of the pirates. ^.^

Mr_Shade
11-08-2010, 09:45 AM
At present, there's no official statement as to why it's 'delayed'..

But the release was rescheduled to Q12011 a while ago, so it's not really a delay - rather a new release date..

Delayed makes it sound like there's a problem, but my understanding is it was altered.. not delayed.. So please don't worry about a major problem - there is none that I am aware of http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I know it's still 'late' to many people, so in their minds it's a delay..

LCGuardian
11-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Cpt_Yanni:

Whether intentionally or not, the consequence of releasing the PC version later is that it incentivises the console versions of the game and discourages waiting to purchase the PC version. Didn't you even read what you said? If the devs want to move people to consoles because of PC piracy, then they are discouraging purchase of the PC version, and doing it intentionally.

Originally posted by Mr_Shade:

But the release was rescheduled to Q12011 a while ago, so it's not really a delay - rather a new release date..

Delayed makes it sound like there's a problem, but my understanding is it was altered.. not delayed.. So please don't worry about a major problem - there is none that I am aware of http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Boy, that's semantics Mr Shade. They amount to the same thing. But nice to know that we can discount the game breaking bug as a reason for the later release date this time.

Mr_Shade
11-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Delayed has some very negative meanings though.. it's delayed due to bugs, piracy, drm, bad port etc - just some of the comments, so I don't want people thinking the game is broken, or being delayed to stop people from buying it?..

Ubisoft are releasing the game on PC, so if they wanted to drop PC support, why release at all?

It was announced as soon as they knew, which was about 2 months ago? so it's not some last minute delay, which should worry people.

I agree that any 'delay' is bad though, but as with all games, it happens from time to time.

Other publishers also have released games after consoles, such as rockstar games.

So while I would not like to say it's commonplace, it does happen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I'm sure you all remember AC2 being released months after console too..

I'm sure the wait will be worth it though... since I also am a PC gamer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LCGuardian
11-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Fair enough. Am I right in saying you're a PC gamer as well Mr Shade, waiting for the ACB PC release? I don't know where I got the idea from, but it rings a bell.

Mr_Shade
11-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by LCGuardian:
Fair enough. Am I right in saying you're a PC gamer as well Mr Shade, waiting for the ACB PC release? I don't know where I got the idea from, but it rings a bell. I have an xbox 360 - and will play it on it, due to having to for work.. and having a big screen.

But I prefer gaming on my PC, since it has a pretty decent graphics card etc..

I will be waiting with the rest of the PC gang, however due to work, I can get the game on xbox too..

MT4K
11-08-2010, 01:19 PM
i am not worried about the pc delay/re-schedule whatever you want to call it, i don't mind waiting myself

personally i am just glad that they are releasing it on the pc and going by ac1 and ac2 the wait time will probably be similar - so if you could wait before, you can wait this time

besides, as pc gamers you should be used to this kind of thing by now

heck the new nfs game had a demo come out recently-ish, but it was only for consoles, but the pc gamers didn't find out there was no pc demo at all untill like a day before the demos release, now that's just cruel :P, especially considering the biggest market that warrants a demo is the pc (due to the varied amount of systems out there people own)

i know acb had the beta, but a beta and demo are totally different things so that doesn't count :P

just be happy that acb will come to the pc, and if it's anything like ac2, will come with dlc included on the disc, plus higher graphics settings most likely possible http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DJmilo5
11-08-2010, 02:00 PM
i suspect it could be piracy issues, think about it if you delay the PC version , ppl will just get bored and buy it for their console. although this isnt really a good way to combat piracy.

and if its not piracy then i guess there just tweaking it

OneLancer94
11-08-2010, 04:15 PM
If the release of ACB for pc is delayed due to piracy issues then what for release to pc?Isnt it better to force everyone to move on to ps3 or xbox? And like what windrius said that there are millions of xbox live accounts banned cuz they used pirated games. Isnt it the same for the xbox that they used pirated games like pc? If so, why did they still want to release the game in xbox? or rather not to re-schedule?

Razrback16
11-09-2010, 05:14 AM

Actually, you worded it very well -- I particularly liked what you said here: "The best reason could be is that PC has a certain set of standards" -- very true. Right from the launch point, the PC will be able to play in higher resolution and higher image quality than any console. That is definitely the positive side of using the PC.

Razrback16
11-09-2010, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by OneLancer94:
I just saw some interviews on ubisoft discouraging PC to other platforms whereas all of the popular games prefer pc. ubi has alot of explaining to do as to why is ACB delayed, why they discouraged PC to other platforms.

Of course PC is preferred. It's the only platform that is constantly upgradeable in terms of hardware without having to lose the ability to play a game. The PC is also way way way more powerful than any console in every way. Can't imagine why companies would be pushing the masses to downgrade to a console.

Razrback16
11-09-2010, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Mr_Shade:

In my book it's a delay simply because it's being released on other platforms at an earlier date.

yly3
11-09-2010, 05:22 AM
According to Amazon UK it's 26th of March. To be honest I think this will be the official release date. I will be buying it on Steam anyway just like AC2

Razrback16
11-09-2010, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by yly3:
According to Amazon UK it's 26th of March. To be honest I think this will be the official release date. I will be buying it on Steam anyway just like AC2

Amazon.com says Feb 22, 2011 here in the U.S.

AubreyWilborn
11-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by LCGuardian:
Ah, the golden question. I've seen a variety of rationales given by Ubi representatives (forum managers) and fans for this, but Ubisoft has never given anything firm in an official statement as far as I can remember. The closest I can remember was the Twitter announcement of the AC2 delay where they said it was to produce the best product. Which is helpfully specific.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Optimising for a variety of PC hardware - seems to be a favourite among console AC players looking to give a reason for the PC delay (this isn't aimed directly at you Eziosantos). As far as I know this has never been given as a reason for the later release dates for the AC PC titles by Ubi. I'm not personally convinced - other developers and publishers can get their PC and console releases simultaneous even with the need to optimise for PC hardware.
<LI>Piracy prevention - raised as a possibility by fans last year when the DRM accompanied the PC release of AC2. As I remember though, the forum managers shot this down. But honestly it seems like a strong possibility.
<LI>Game breaking bug specific to the PC version - from memory this was the reason Kleaneasy passed on for the late release of the PC version of AC2. Possibly convicing for that (we don't know enough), but given ACB is running on the same engine and shares a lot of its assets with AC2, probably not convincing now for ACB.
<LI>Encouraging players to switch to the consoles - I've never seen an Ubi rep suggest this (it would probably be suicide) but it does seem to fit with the late releases if the other reasons are ruled out. The question is why they want to do this - can't be profits, because I believe that PC games are generally more profitable in the absence of console licencing fees. Possibly links to piracy, since after all Ubisoft are the developers of one of the software world's most draconian DRM systems.
[/list]

I tend to favour the last, but I really don't know the reason why Ubisoft would want to discourage the PC as a platform in favour of consoles. Especially when other developers seem to be starting to say that the PC is an important platform and should have an equal or greater development emphasis (as an incomplete list off the top of my head of this, I can think of recent DICE comments about Battlefield 3, the decision to release the DLC for Bioshock 2, and Treyarch moving back towards PC specific featues like mod tools for Call of Duty Black Ops), this position seems jarring and out of step with industry trends. All that said, its just my speculation. And given Mr Shade seems to be in the dark about the rationale for the delay, and given he is both an Ubisoft employee and a PC gamer (I think, apologies if I'm wrong Shade) then we probably will never get a reason made public.

LC Guardian your last paragraph sums up something that I have been wanting to articulate for a while. The gaming industry seems to realize that PC gaming is a juicy chunk of the market, so they try to release PC games on time. Yet Ubisoft's constant decision to hold back AC series' PC titles makes no sense in the larger context of the gaming industry.

Razrback16
11-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by AubreyWilborn:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LCGuardian:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
[/list]

LC Guardian your last paragraph sums up something that I have been wanting to articulate for a while. The gaming industry seems to realize that PC gaming is a juicy chunk of the market, so they try to release PC games on time. Yet Ubisoft's constant decision to hold back AC series' PC titles makes no sense in the larger context of the gaming industry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said -- most smart companies acknowledge that PC gaming is the only way to roll if you're shooting for top end graphics and image quality. The consoles, while adequate for some types of gaming, are simply inferior in terms of future-proof hardware.

Windrius
11-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by yly3:

Wasn't 26th of March the release of ACII for PC? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif They prolly think it's the same date.
Anyway, I'll also be buying it on steam :P
Hope it will have a "deluxe" edition again, cause I don't want to buy a whole codex edition, I only need the ingame content :P

WrathfulPapa
11-10-2010, 11:57 AM
You can't have something being delayed when there isn't even an official release date, yes it is stated hopefully Q1 of 2011, but there was no actual date set and stone. It comes out on consoles earlier, big deal, probably something special being done for pc, and when it does come out ya'll will quit your qqing and your impressions do a 360 it never fails.

AubreyWilborn
11-10-2010, 06:19 PM
The PC release is most certainly a delay, and not a "reschedule", lol.

Anyway, I don't know why Ubisoft has delayed the PC release, especially when they let you pre-order a PC version for a November release back in May, 2010. I don't like the delay, but I'll wait, because I don't really have any other choice. I just hope and pray that the PC version is worth the wait, and that COD Black Ops and Medal of Honor can tide me over.

Razrback16
11-11-2010, 07:58 AM
I just hope and pray that the PC version is worth the wait, and that COD Black Ops and Medal of Honor can tide me over.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif No worries, it will be worth the wait. Better graphics and image quality than the consoles.

AnthonyA85
11-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Razrback16:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just hope and pray that the PC version is worth the wait, and that COD Black Ops and Medal of Honor can tide me over.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif No worries, it will be worth the wait. Better graphics and image quality than the consoles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We will also most likely get some, or all, of the DLC missions (like the Capernicus one) shipped with the game, like we did AC2 sequence 12 and 13.

Razrback16
11-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by AnthonyA85:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razrback16:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just hope and pray that the PC version is worth the wait, and that COD Black Ops and Medal of Honor can tide me over.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif No worries, it will be worth the wait. Better graphics and image quality than the consoles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We will also most likely get some, or all, of the DLC missions (like the Capernicus one) shipped with the game, like we did AC2 sequence 12 and 13. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really hope so -- they owe the PC gaming community something for treating us like 2nd class citizens with this delay.