PDA

View Full Version : Does the new fight system worry anyone else?

PlagueDoctor357
07-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Im seriously not liking the idea of the new fight system. Combos and linking? I mean....in AC1 the fighting seemed real and had an UMPH to the hits and attacks.

In AC2, they looked just as good visually but the health bar and connecting feel of the attacks didn't seem nearly as good to me.

Although visually it looked aweomse it didn't have the same UMPH punch to it.

Now if you watch the little gameplay walkthrough on gametrailers the fighting just looks weak and over the top to the max.

I thought this was supposed to be somewhat realistic?

Now you can kill like 5 guys in 3 seconds. Some with terrible looking animations that don't look right and seem to fast for a real person to pull off.

He fires shots without cocking his gun in combos and stuff.

I don't know, it looks fun but in a Batman sort of way and not in any way AC style besides some of the sword kill animations being the same.

Hopefully AC3 isn't like this although it probably will be.

I guess I shouldn't knock it before I try it but seriously watch that video and you might see what im saying.

EzioAssassin51
07-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by PlagueDoctor357:
Im seriously not liking the idea of the new fight system. Combos and linking? I mean....in AC1 the fighting seemed real and had an UMPH to the hits and attacks.

In AC2, they looked just as good visually but the health bar and connecting feel of the attacks didn't seem nearly as good to me.

Now if you watch the little gameplay walkthrough on gametrailers the fighting just looks weak and over the top to the max.

Now you can kill like 5 guys in 3 seconds. Some with terrible looking animations that don't look right and seem to fast for a real person to pull off.

I don't know, it looks fun but in a Batman sort of way and not in any way AC style besides some of the sword kill animations being the same.

I guess I shouldn't knock it before I try it but seriously watch that video and you might see what im saying.

I agree!

If they want to implement harder AI and strike first, strike fast, why not keep the same system, just bump it up a bit (not as much as it is now) to make it a bit faster, make the AI harder/more aggressive and reqard them for striking first and striking fast.

Simply put, they should keep the same system, make it a tiny bit faster but keep the new AI and reward stuff!

But i also don't mind it! Seems pretty great to me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Murcuseo
07-04-2010, 02:04 AM
You'll probably find that once you get used to the new system it will feel pretty natural. There is a few flaws with the ACII combat system that wouldn't allow for aggresive gameplay.

The major thing would be that when you're in the middle of a counter kill quite often an NPC would swing his sword right through you while the animation played out, now that multple NPCs can attack at once you need some way of dealing with that and I don't feel the old system would be able to cope.

I'm seriously disappointed they intergrated the hidden gun into the combat so intrusively but other than that I'm looking forward to the changes.

Account_Deleted
07-04-2010, 02:05 AM

[QUOTE]

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">I'll have to disagree since, a real person could; but for this , these people being killed arn't experienced as Ezio, so lack of skill meaning more easier to kill</span>

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Chances by now it would have been upgraded, if you've seen ?" Inglouriouse Bastard" how the 2 guys had the push pump gun. maybe that's the new system for Ezio</span>

Marius_Darkwolf
07-04-2010, 02:10 AM
What irritates me is you have an extremely vocal minority crying about how 'easy' the combat system was, and now the silent majority that either enjoyed the combat system how it was or even found it difficult will likely not find as much enjoyment from the game. Given what I've been reading about how the combat system has been 'improved' (ie ratcheted up the difficult, and nerfing blocks and counterkills), I'm actually considering not getting brotherhood or AC3 even though I love the story. I had a hard enough time with AC2's combat that I did my level best to avoid everything except the scripted fights. Yes I'd keep the block going until I could do a counter kill, because I don't have the twitch reflexes to pull off the combo's, as you have to have near instant reflex times, there's no forgiveness or slack in the system for combos, and with what I'm reading, the new system will be worse, because you'll HAVE to do combos to survive, especially since block appearently won't do anything useful, like you know actually block an attack.

Mr_Creed
07-04-2010, 03:10 AM
For me when i played AC1 i enjoyed the defending system but near the end of AC2 it was just way too easy to defeat enemies. Im hoping that ACB may have a similar system but i would prefer if Ubisoft would eliminate that easy defending hitting two buttons sytle.

El_Sjietah
07-04-2010, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Marius_Darkwolf:
What irritates me is you have an extremely vocal minority crying about how 'easy' the combat system was, and now the silent majority that either enjoyed the combat system how it was or even found it difficult will likely not find as much enjoyment from the game. Given what I've been reading about how the combat system has been 'improved' (ie ratcheted up the difficult, and nerfing blocks and counterkills), I'm actually considering not getting brotherhood or AC3 even though I love the story. I had a hard enough time with AC2's combat that I did my level best to avoid everything except the scripted fights. Yes I'd keep the block going until I could do a counter kill, because I don't have the twitch reflexes to pull off the combo's, as you have to have near instant reflex times, there's no forgiveness or slack in the system for combos, and with what I'm reading, the new system will be worse, because you'll HAVE to do combos to survive, especially since block appearently won't do anything useful, like you know actually block an attack.

Erm, counterkills require twitch reflexes. Combos only require timing. Also, way to jump the gun on block being entirely useless. So it isn't the instawin button it was before. It probably just means you can't hide behind your block all fight long, being virtually invincible.

Geinref
07-04-2010, 03:32 AM
I agree, I'm not a big fan of the new combat system, sort of feels like it might just be too easy. Though I remember one of the devs said that they made the system for people that just want to spam the action button (exaggerating) but still going to keep the whole defensive type of fighting for those that want to be defensive.

What i also notice is the lack of smooth transitions between animations during combat. I played AC the other day and i noticed how if a guard swings a certain way and if Altair counters during that certain swing, he'll transition his attack to make it look as if he dodged it. AC2 still has it but on some animations the transitions look sloppy.

Perfect example would be the block animations. In AC depending on what weapon you use and how Altair or the guard swings, if you let it connect with your sword (not during the defensive position) you can see how the character will bend his arm to block that certain swing (different animations for each swing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcaSVvsFauQ

If you look at the trailer, which we have all seen and love, you can see the transitions and the blocks i'm talking about.

In AC2, they all block the same even though the attacks can be coming from a different angle, and blood sprays out:/ (in AC blood didnt come out from preventing a hit).

I know I'm picking at the smallest details that really don't matter much, but i think its the small things that can have a big negative impact in the world you try to create. I remember Patrice said he wanted to keep Assassins Creed realistic.

Last thing, we are to blame for the reason why there changing it into this. They (Ubisoft) listen to us (which is a good thing, shows that they care) complain about "staring contest" during fighting and how we want aggressive AI and make the game more fast. Though I think sometimes you just have to NOT listen to what people complain about (my stuff for example) and just keep to there game, of course adding more fun things and what not, but keep it to the original plan.

Sorry for the "ramblings of a madman" lol but this is just my opinion. For all i we know AC:B might just blow our minds away. We don't know until we played it for ourselves.

Either way I love the Assassins Creed games (console ones) ALOT and as long as they keep to there world of Assassins vs Templars, and take me to awesome places around the world, combined with a SCI-FI twist to the story, i'm hooked all the way till the end! Ubisoft won't let us down, they didn't come this far to just give us a half-ace game!

edzilla_551
07-04-2010, 04:43 AM
to be honest i actually think they improved alot, i love the idea of combo strings and counters in the middle of it, i dont see your problem plague doctor because it actually looks better and more challenging enough said!

greekassassin1
07-04-2010, 08:15 AM
if the fighting requires more skill...I LIKE IT!...cause on AC1 and AC2 it was too easy!..but i hope in ACB won't be extremely complex

Deathgrim666
07-04-2010, 08:35 AM
yeah i love the fight system in ac:b, in ac1 and 2 i felt like i was always waiting for them to make the move or i was just mashing the sword till they die or i could grab them and slice there throat.

amugae
07-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by FernieG:
I agree, I'm not a big fan of the new combat system, sort of feels like it might just be too easy. Though I remember one of the devs said that they made the system for people that just want to spam the action button (exaggerating) but still going to keep the whole defensive type of fighting for those that want to be defensive.

What i also notice is the lack of smooth transitions between animations during combat. I played AC the other day and i noticed how if a guard swings a certain way and if Altair counters during that certain swing, he'll transition his attack to make it look as if he dodged it. AC2 still has it but on some animations the transitions look sloppy.

Perfect example would be the block animations. In AC depending on what weapon you use and how Altair or the guard swings, if you let it connect with your sword (not during the defensive position) you can see how the character will bend his arm to block that certain swing (different animations for each swing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcaSVvsFauQ

If you look at the trailer, which we have all seen and love, you can see the transitions and the blocks i'm talking about.

In AC2, they all block the same even though the attacks can be coming from a different angle, and blood sprays out:/ (in AC blood didnt come out from preventing a hit).

I know I'm picking at the smallest details that really don't matter much, but i think its the small things that can have a big negative impact in the world you try to create. I remember Patrice said he wanted to keep Assassins Creed realistic.

Last thing, we are to blame for the reason why there changing it into this. They (Ubisoft) listen to us (which is a good thing, shows that they care) complain about "staring contest" during fighting and how we want aggressive AI and make the game more fast. Though I think sometimes you just have to NOT listen to what people complain about (my stuff for example) and just keep to there game, of course adding more fun things and what not, but keep it to the original plan.

Sorry for the "ramblings of a madman" lol but this is just my opinion. For all i we know AC:B might just blow our minds away. We don't know until we played it for ourselves.

Either way I love the Assassins Creed games (console ones) ALOT and as long as they keep to there world of Assassins vs Templars, and take me to awesome places around the world, combined with a SCI-FI twist to the story, i'm hooked all the way till the end! Ubisoft won't let us down, they didn't come this far to just give us a half-ace game!

Whoa, long post. Anyway, yea I agree with the combat animation thing, it could be a lot smoother and realistic, especially with the transition from countering animation to attack motion. But in AC:B, with its increased fighting pace, the player will have to react instantly to new threats, and having to wait around for transition animation while the enemy is wailing on you could be a bit frustrating.

And you are mistaken about the guarding animations in AC2. Both Ezio and the guards move their blocking arms in accordance to the direction of the swing. And when blood sprays out, it means the attack landed successfully and inflicted damage. No blood comes out from a successful block.

As for me, I don't mind having faster combat. Some people are complaining that fast combats are unrealistic, but what's more unrealistic is standing around all day waiting for someone else to make the first move. Nobody wins a fight day way, unless you're fighting a pack of toddlers. Also it's waaaaay too early to assume that blocking and counter has been rendered useless just because combo system has been improved. Besides, we saw plenty of counters being used successfully in the trailers. So as long as the fighting styles compliment one another and are balanced, whether it be aggressive berserker or defensive counterhitter, I see no problem with adding variety and pace to the combat.

AMuppetMatt
07-04-2010, 09:28 AM
I think to summarise my point of view is that they need to toughen up the fight system by making it more realistic. All this fancy stuff is all well and good, but Ezio ain't a Jedi, he's a human.

One of the reason I absolutely loved AC1 is because everything was so realistic (strange as that sounds for someone who climbs buildings). You didn't go in all guns blazing killing everyone and everything around you, you didn't do a triple kill in 4 seconds... things took time and effort. You would investigate your attack, plan out what was going to happen then strike... and when you fought guards you actually had to fight them. Granted sometimes you would go 30 seconds without an attack, but minus that blip, the system was spot on.

In AC2 it's all about hidden blades, hidden guns, smoke bombs and unrealistic gadgets. It's turned realistic fighting into some button bashing arcade game... where all you do is attack them and watch them die. Before guards would take minutes to kill... now it only takes seconds.

I'm worried Brotherhood is gonna be the same, with less realism and more button bashing arcade style battles... combos? I bloody well hope not http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

If they have decided to sink that low in Brotherhood... I hope to God, Allah, Vishnu and any other god up there that they fix this and make it more realistic in AC3.

(Did I mention the stupid health in AC2? I've yet to die from combat yet... this after 5 [?]times playing the game through...)

amugae
07-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Look, guys, why are you all assuming that a realistic sword fight must take minutes? A duel between experts can be decided within seconds. And a fight between a master and a novice can end instantaneously. And in the trailer, it's obvious that by now Ezio's a master swordsman and the guards were all novices.

And speaking of the trailer, all the guards Ezio fought were guards of lowest rank, the kind that were the first to get killed or run away in AC2. I'm sure that even in AC:B fighting higher ranked guards will be a bit more challenging.

El_Sjietah
07-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by AMuppetMatt:
You didn't go in all guns blazing killing everyone and everything around you, you didn't do a triple kill in 4 seconds...

I did actually.

And AC1 had combos as well in case you're wondering.

SchwiftyCrooze
07-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Alright I dont know what you guys are complaining about. They are still keeping the counter-kill ability but would it kill you to maybe take a swing and attempt to kill a few guys? Yes, the block isnt gonna be as invinceable as it was but now you guys are asking for realism, if you want it to be realistic I dont think someone could just hide behind their sword the whole fight I mean realistically you would get hit a few times trying to do that. So I think this new fight system is for the better and will help to smooth out the combat a bit more.

Geinref
07-04-2010, 01:14 PM
sorry for the long post lol!

Either way the fighting looks good, and as amugae said, ezio's a master swordsman now (hence master assassin) and well he knows the tricks of the trade lol.

I like the new kill animations, look really sick, even the one where he puts his hand on the guys head and shoots him!

thekyle0
07-04-2010, 01:17 PM
You can still fight the same way you did in AC2 or 1. You just won't be waiting as long to pull off counters. Also, when they interrupt your counter kills that doesn't necessarily mean they're hitting you, at about 10:00 of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ywCqkgO2lM) Ezio stops one counter to enter another.

jimbo11235813
07-04-2010, 03:19 PM
IMO it's a good speed, I found AC2 too slow because I would be striking a captain about 10-15 times before be able to kill them. This is a good speed, and has some cool combos with the gun. I think it shows that, over the years, he has learnt tricks and gained more experience, using some of his gadgets to take out more enemies in a short period of time.

I'm not really worried. It will be a change, but it will be nice to be able to take out a crowd of enemies within a minute. Hope we can throw 2 throwing knives like Ezio did in the trailer.

Oatkeeper
07-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I actually kind of like the idea of a much more action-ish battle system. While the Combat in AC2 was alright, it wasn't exactly the highlight of the game. Im all for them experimenting with a more action oriented style as long as it works and follows the basics that have already been established.

I just Hope it doesnt turn inot the AI running in to be slaughtered, Id Like to see them pose a threat sometimes since They never even came close to killing me me in AC2, and perhaps come in larger groups more often so they aren't so easy to run from and have better chances at surrounding you for multiple attacks

Of course I will always prefer the stealth approach.

RevoltingIBunny
07-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by jimbo_323:

Hope we can throw 2 throwing knives like Ezio did in the trailer.

You can throw two throwing knives in AC2, I think it's obvious you can do it in AC:b.

amugae
07-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by RevoltingIBunny:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo_323:

You can throw two throwing knives in AC2, I think it's obvious you can do it in AC:b. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he meant being able to do it instantly without having to "load" for several seconds.

EzioAssassin51
07-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by amugae:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RevoltingIBunny:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo_323:

You can throw two throwing knives in AC2, I think it's obvious you can do it in AC:b. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he meant being able to do it instantly without having to "load" for several seconds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, i think he just meant to be able to throw two at once like in the trailer!

Vey03
07-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by FernieG:

You have hit the nail squarly on the head!

This is where sequels can become their own worst enemy. The makers read our rantings and try to change their ideas to suit. Fact is, you're never going to make everyone happy. And it's usually not the majority who make the most noise.

I don't need to remind you guys what happened to POP.
Even though i liked WW more, since it was more my style, it fits into the POP trilogy like a Beetle at a Ferrari show. And look at what happened with Two Thrones when they tried to give everyone what they wanted.

But to be honest, what we've seen so far, the Villa fight, it fits perfectly into that fast-passed scene.

As for the rest, i wish they let us fight our own way.
That is, if you are the type to strike first, then so be it. But don't penalise people who prefer to take things slower.
Maybe the guards could 'learn' your fighting style throughout the game, and act accordingly?

But i don't like the 'strike first, strike fast' motto.
I see assassins as elite 'athlets', like someone who practices martial arts for eg. And i'm not 100% comfortable with the idea of someone like that, that highly skilled and trained, just running in and chopping everyone up.
I think the idea of 'fast and furious' is not the way these elite people are taught and trained. And it's not something i would like to see.

And i definately would not want to see stealth reduced in an effort to implement this 'first and fast' idea. That would just kill it for me.

Also, i never had a problem with the fighting in AC. And i'm not quite sure why everyone says it was a staring contest.
If you wanted to go into a fight with guns blazing, it's not like the game stopped you. It was only when you were waiting to counter that things slowed down.
But in those times, i watched for a guard that would slump or kick dirt, and attacked him.

edzilla_551
07-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Look, guys, why are you all assuming that a realistic sword fight must take minutes? A duel between experts can be decided within seconds. And a fight between a master and a novice can end instantaneously. And in the trailer, it's obvious that by now Ezio's a master swordsman and the guards were all novices.

And speaking of the trailer, all the guards Ezio fought were guards of lowest rank, the kind that were the first to get killed or run away in AC2. I'm sure that even in AC:B fighting higher ranked guards will be a bit more challenging.

Agreed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SWJS
07-05-2010, 12:56 AM
I don't see why everyone says this whole "fast and furious" sword fighting style is realistic.

In Real Life, a sword fight, or duel, could have gone for seconds or hours, depending on the skillls of the opponents. Nobody is THAT skilled. The fighting style was always "block, attack, attack, block". Nothing like this "epic duel" nonsense in movies today.

Ezio is a middle-aged man in his 40s, mind you, and in the E3 demo, he's chopping up guards like they were carrots for a stew. The guards may have been novices, but they were younger, and in greater numbers. They should have easily given Ezio a hard time.

Yet Ezio casually takes down a group of TEN OR MORE in just A FEW SECONDS. No, no, no, no, no, no. That's not realistic. Actually, they've essentially made Ezio into a Renaissance jedi on roids.

I don't know about you guys, but I play games to escape life and realism, so I can do things I couldn't do IRL. Sure AC2 is BASED off of historical facts and sticks close to history, but it's still a fictional sci-fi-fantasy conspiracy story.

Taking down 10+ guards in a few seconds as a 40 year old man? I actually welcome this idea, because I couldn't do it IRL. I couldn't even fight with a sword IRL anyway, so really, it doesn't affect me that much.

But this sword fighting style is anything but realistic, and frankly as a gamer, I prefer it that way.

So... Go super awesome old Ezio! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

El_Sjietah
07-05-2010, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Mouse03:

I see assassins as elite 'athlets', like someone who practices martial arts for eg. And i'm not 100% comfortable with the idea of someone like that, that highly skilled and trained, just running in and chopping everyone up.
I think the idea of 'fast and furious' is not the way these elite people are taught and trained. And it's not something i would like to see.

"Strike first, strike fast" is one of the core principles of most martial arts. Seems like you'd rather want this to become a boxing match instead.

And i definately would not want to see stealth reduced in an effort to implement this 'first and fast' idea. That would just kill it for me.

This I agree with and is my biggest fear atm. AC2 already took a turn in the wrong direction, so not sure how this will end up.

Also, i never had a problem with the fighting in AC. And i'm not quite sure why everyone says it was a staring contest.
If you wanted to go into a fight with guns blazing, it's not like the game stopped you. It was only when you were waiting to counter that things slowed down.
But in those times, i watched for a guard that would slump or kick dirt, and attacked him.

True, the AC fighting was fine the way it was. It's just that they had to change it for the worse in AC2.

Murcuseo
07-05-2010, 03:38 AM
lol You guys have to remember, only one side of the arguement is being presented here... I see a lot of complaining but not much praise for the new system. mainly because the people who are happy with it don't feel the need to waffle on about it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I'm fairly happy with how it looks but I'll reserve judgement after testing it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

villy23
07-05-2010, 03:44 AM
if the guards are more agressive the counters will work just as well but you may have to counter 2 at once if you are interrupted. Should be balanced. Guards are aggressive but don't die too easy and counter times are slower. I agree with the peeps who said the fights were to easy but even then you couldn't go through them very quickly because of staring contests and the fact combo kills were difficult agaisnt any one but the very lowest guards

Vey03
07-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mouse03:

"Strike first, strike fast" is one of the core principles of most martial arts. Seems like you'd rather want this to become a boxing match instead.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, i wouldn't want that. And you're right.

What i'm talking about is ... umm... well, something like the new POP (forgotten sands. Although that's an extreme eg, but the best thing i can think of). Where it's just button-mashing, without the need to think about anything.
I'm happy to strike first, strike fast, and not let the enemy even take out a weapon. It's pretty-much the way i like to do things in AC as it is.
I don't like to get into scraps. In AC2, I find the sword fighting a bit 'button mashy', and i find it hard to move, because i get unlocked every time i press my 'legs'.

I do love the counters with the dagger and hidden blades though! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I dunno. For me, at the moment, it's a little early to judge. And who knows, it could all turn out brilliantly.

thekyle0
07-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
In Real Life, a sword fight, or duel, could have gone for seconds or hours, depending on the skillls of the opponents. Nobody is THAT skilled. The fighting style was always "block, attack, attack, block". Nothing like this "epic duel" nonsense in movies today. You seem to be basing this on the medieval concept of heavily armored knights battling. That style came about because the armor they wore was too heavy to "strike fast" so it became a slug-fest decided on who would get too weak to raise their shield to continue blocking. Ezio doesn't where any armor save for his bracers(at least when I play, but even in other cases the armor is still pretty light) It would make more sense for him to capitalize on speed given this case. Also, you seem to be over estimating how much skill it takes to out do somebody quickly. All it takes is for an opponent to notice one slip and that could be the end of you.

Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
Ezio is a middle-aged man in his 40s, mind you, and in the E3 demo, he's chopping up guards like they were carrots for a stew. The guards may have been novices, but they were younger, and in greater numbers. They should have easily given Ezio a hard time.

Taking down 10+ guards in a few seconds as a 40 year old man? I actually welcome this idea, because I couldn't do it IRL. I couldn't even fight with a sword IRL anyway, so really, it doesn't affect me that much. Life isn't over when you turn forty. If you've stayed in good shape (I think it's fair to assume Ezio has) then you can still keep up with anything a 20 year-old does. Look at Giovanni. He seemed to handle himself pretty well in Lineage. Now take an example from real life. Jean Parisot de Valette was the grand master of the Knights of Malta (formerly known as the Knights Hospitaller) during the siege of Malta (1565). He was 70 years old and he still fought in and directed the defense of Malta from Ottoman invaders.

Bullet747
07-05-2010, 10:14 AM
I think in AC3 they should try to focus on a more simulator style of combat then it already it. One that rely's on defense and offense more fluidly and in real time.

El_Sjietah
07-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Mouse03:

No, i wouldn't want that. And you're right.

What i'm talking about is ... umm... well, something like the new POP (forgotten sands. Although that's an extreme eg, but the best thing i can think of). Where it's just button-mashing, without the need to think about anything.
I'm happy to strike first, strike fast, and not let the enemy even take out a weapon. It's pretty-much the way i like to do things in AC as it is.
I don't like to get into scraps. In AC2, I find the sword fighting a bit 'button mashy', and i find it hard to move, because i get unlocked every time i press my 'legs'.

I do love the counters with the dagger and hidden blades though! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I dunno. For me, at the moment, it's a little early to judge. And who knows, it could all turn out brilliantly.

I agree on the AC2 part. Big step back from AC1 imo. I don't want to see ACB turn into a buttonmashing fest anymore than you do, but like you said, ACB's combat is still too early to judge, so let's hope for the best.

LachlanHolt
07-05-2010, 10:55 AM
THIS ENTIRE GAME IS A BATMAN STYLED GAME!!!!!
think 4 a sec
he leaps off tall towers without getting hurt
he climbs the side of buildings
he needlessly vualts objects to murdur some random
how could u possibly say that its meant to be realistic?
and another thing

AC1 and AC2 figting was stupid
in ac1 the ai's would que up to fight u as u stood your ground spamming thhe counterstrike button
in ac2 you repetedly bashed the attack button as you wittled away a health bar?

i think this combat looks better than both combined!
ezio should be able to leap into the midst of a group of soliders, rip them to shreds, vault some barrles and still mannage an assasination before anyone really notice's you

you couldn't in ac1 becuase you never found large groups and cuase enemies much to frequently counterd you
(you really look like an idiot when a joe blog guard punches you in the face... "argh... an assisin!!! somebody save me... *sarcasm*")
in ac2 the health bar of most soliders meant that by the time you struggle through a batch of soliders, your target had escaped and a small army of guards have surrounded you... you had extreme batman styled training, kick *** wepons and the element of suprise and you still had to take 12 hits to kill the passing police.
in ac2 i found myself just spamming the dual hidden blade beacuse it was the only wepon to 1 counter kill a brute or captain.

no. i am not worried.

utterly irelivent but does any one else think that an ac game should be made in paris? theres enough monuments to climb up and its very flat yet rather small.

whilst thhe effile tower is being constructed...

could be a conspirosy story behind "van helsing"?

just a thought.

mrfishy101
07-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by AMuppetMatt:
I think to summarise my point of view is that they need to toughen up the fight system by making it more realistic. All this fancy stuff is all well and good, but Ezio ain't a Jedi, he's a human.

One of the reason I absolutely loved AC1 is because everything was so realistic (strange as that sounds for someone who climbs buildings). You didn't go in all guns blazing killing everyone and everything around you, you didn't do a triple kill in 4 seconds... things took time and effort. You would investigate your attack, plan out what was going to happen then strike... and when you fought guards you actually had to fight them. Granted sometimes you would go 30 seconds without an attack, but minus that blip, the system was spot on.

In AC2 it's all about hidden blades, hidden guns, smoke bombs and unrealistic gadgets. It's turned realistic fighting into some button bashing arcade game... where all you do is attack them and watch them die. Before guards would take minutes to kill... now it only takes seconds.

I'm worried Brotherhood is gonna be the same, with less realism and more button bashing arcade style battles... combos? I bloody well hope not http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

If they have decided to sink that low in Brotherhood... I hope to God, Allah, Vishnu and any other god up there that they fix this and make it more realistic in AC3.

(Did I mention the stupid health in AC2? I've yet to die from combat yet... this after 5 [?]times playing the game through...)

ok, i agree with the other people about how hes a master assasin, but u said his gadgets are unrealistic, i believe each and every one of ezio/leonardo's gadgets could be made. smoke bombs, easy, poison, easy, hidden blades a little tricky, but still pretty easy, and the gun, hardest of all, could be made. we're talking leonardo Davinci, one of the greatest inventers ever! and this is without the fact that he's making these from the codex of altair, who got it from a piece of eden. so pwned. and srry for the long post.

ps. i hope u realize that i do know we're talking 15th century renaissance.

jendax555
07-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi, I have a problem with the game AC2. I installed it and when I wanted to run, it wrote me failed to start launcher. please reinstall. What does this mean? please reply

Astralcloak
07-05-2010, 01:47 PM

I'll have to disagree since, a real person could; but for this , these people being killed arn't experienced as Ezio, so lack of skill meaning more easier to kill

The enemies on the wall in the demo were said to be PAPEL forces, that means the POPE's private army, they were probabally some of the most elite and well equipt/trained soldiers in northern italy.

Chances by now it would have been upgraded, if you've seen ?" Inglouriouse Bastard" how the 2 guys had the push pump gun. maybe that's the new system for Ezio

The story is supposed to pick up Right where it left off, they say repeatedly that very little if no time has passed since the end of the previous game, so ezio wouldn't have exactly had any/much time to be making radical new improvements to the weapon, especially since the codex pages were hundreds of years advanced and they only showed how to make the weapon.

amugae
07-05-2010, 03:22 PM
The story is supposed to pick up Right where it left off, they say repeatedly that very little if no time has passed since the end of the previous game, so ezio wouldn't have exactly had any/much time to be making radical new improvements to the weapon, especially since the codex pages were hundreds of years advanced and they only showed how to make the weapon.

Ezio wouldn't have, but Leonardo freakin Da Vinci might have. If I recall he was a genius of the century and pretty quick about adding all that modifications to the hidden blade. So let's not leave out any possibilities.

PlagueDoctor357
07-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Im glad people agree with me. I don't know it just seems to cheesy with terrible animations and way to fast to be real.

X10J
07-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I was able to kill like 3 guys in like 6 seconds with combos in AC1. I could get a combo kill with a single blow.

also

Originally posted by Astralcloak:
The enemies on the wall in the demo were said to be PAPEL forces, that means the POPE's private army, they were probabally some of the most elite and well equipt/trained soldiers in northern italy.
it's northern italy, almost all soldiers are PAPEL forces.

Geinref
07-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Everyone has some really good points here, though one thing i just thought of right now.

Altair was apparently a Master Assassin in the first one, yet he chose to fight smart and defensive (depending on the player). Wasn't he like 27 years old?!

Ezio is maybe in his early 40s and if he's a Master Assassin, i would think he would be wise in fighting unless he's just a offensive type assassin (also depending on the player)

I've always been a defensive player in the AC games, unless I'm trying to climb up a wall and a guard hits me and i fall (or throws rocks), then I'll go berserk style and just smash away!

Marius_Darkwolf
07-06-2010, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Robson19822009:
lol You guys have to remember, only one side of the arguement is being presented here... I see a lot of complaining but not much praise for the new system. mainly because the people who are happy with it don't feel the need to waffle on about it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I'm fairly happy with how it looks but I'll reserve judgement after testing it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

True, but the same was true with AC2's combat style, the only one saying anything about was the people that didn't like it. Now that we're seeing a new combat style, the people that don't like it are complaining. Ubi's shown they listen when enough people say something, so those of us that are complaining will hopefully see something done

EzioAssassin51
07-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by LachlanHolt:
THIS ENTIRE GAME IS A BATMAN STYLED GAME!!!!!
think 4 a sec

he leaps off tall towers without getting hurt

Batman has a cape or a grapple gun to slow his acension so that doesn't count.

he climbs the side of buildings

Again Batman uses the gapples

You can't really base AC off Batman, except maybe comparing this fight combo thing to BAA but i do agree with you on now with the strike first strike fast thing, you can kill easier with the sword so people won't spam the hidden blades as much for easy counter kills!

Razrback16
07-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Not sure what the new fight system is going to look like. I guess I haven't seen any vids...guess I'll have to go youtubing and see what I can find.

As far as the existing system in AC2, I like the system, much like AC1, but it does have a few flaws. For example, when you step back to use the "flying knives" skill, it takes way too long to perform, and 99% of the time you get hit before he can complete the move, and if you see an enemy beginning to swing at you while you're in the middle of it, you can't stop the move to block which is incredibly unrealistic. Also, it drives me insane when I'm surrounded and 2 or 3 attack at the same time because a move doesn't exist to get you out of being hit! Also there are a lot of target lock bugs where you'll come out of a video sequence with a bunch of enemies around you and it starts you off immediately surrounded with the enemies UNLOCKED so that they hit you and you can't defend until it accepts the lock on command. There are a number of areas where the combat system can be tweaked. I really enjoy the combat in AC1 & 2, I just hope they work out some of these bugs.

amugae
07-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Razrback16:
Not sure what the new fight system is going to look like. I guess I haven't seen any vids...guess I'll have to go youtubing and see what I can find.

As far as the existing system in AC2, I like the system, much like AC1, but it does have a few flaws. For example, when you step back to use the "flying knives" skill, it takes way too long to perform, and 99% of the time you get hit before he can complete the move, and if you see an enemy beginning to swing at you while you're in the middle of it, you can't stop the move to block which is incredibly unrealistic. Also, it drives me insane when I'm surrounded and 2 or 3 attack at the same time because a move doesn't exist to get you out of being hit! Also there are a lot of target lock bugs where you'll come out of a video sequence with a bunch of enemies around you and it starts you off immediately surrounded with the enemies UNLOCKED so that they hit you and you can't defend until it accepts the lock on command. There are a number of areas where the combat system can be tweaked. I really enjoy the combat in AC1 & 2, I just hope they work out some of these bugs.

Um, that was probably intentional, dude. If you could just insta-flying knife everybody then where would be the challenge? Being stealthy would be pointless because whenever a pack of guards showed up you could mow them down in seconds, and that's not all that fun.

Razrback16
07-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by amugae:Um, that was probably intentional, dude. If you could just insta-flying knife everybody then where would be the challenge? Being stealthy would be pointless because whenever a pack of guards showed up you could mow them down in seconds, and that's not all that fun.

Oh, really, dude? I don't think it's all that realistic that a MASTER ASSASSIN is getting ready to throw a bunch of knives, sees a guy (or multiple) getting ready to swing a sharp piece of metal at him, and he's not going to stop and block it...yeah right.

And as far as you saying it would be too easy, that's already in the game. It's called a smoke bomb. And it makes it so you can go into and out of every fight without the slightest possibility of having a chance of being hit, but as you say, it's not much fun to do that. But my point is that certain moves, like the flying knives, and using the spears or halbards to trip a pack of enemies do not leave you with the possibility of breaking off the move to defend yourself, which is unrealistic. I hope that is fixed in the next game.

amugae
07-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Yes, dude, really. Being a master assassin aside, this is a game, not a simulation. And all games rely on risk vs reward to provide challenge and entertainment for the players

So you have this super move that lets you insta-slay half the guards in almost any given fight. Should or should not this move have a drawback of some sort? Because if it had a drawback, say, a long charging period where a player is susceptible to counterattack, then it will force the player to strategize and time his moves accordingly, which adds depth and excitement to the gameplay.

Whereas if this move had no drawbacks/disadvantages whatsoever, then all the player would have to do is to spam spam spam the move until all the obstacles go away. Easier? Yes. More realistic? Maybe (debatable). More fun? Definitely not.

Also smoke bombs have their own disadvantage: limited ammo. You can only carry three, and the effects are only temporary. Now if UBI did what you wanted and made flying knives move uninterruptable, then they'd have to do something else to nerf the move, like decrease the damage or ammo count.

Pelotero_10
07-06-2010, 09:29 PM
You guys are being dramatic, and ridiculous; in this sequel, Ezio is now a M-A-S-T-E-R, meaning that no one can touch him! At least the original soldiers from AC2. Think about it, by now he modt likely has fought several soldiers, and by now they are of no challenge to him!
Also, in the preview, you only saw Ezio fight normal soldiers; that's probably why Ubi. brought to rise of the 'Papel' Forces which are probably trained to battle against the Assassinos! So, please cool it before you start doggin' the new fight system! Would it make any sense at all if Ezio was fighting the same way he did when he was a Novice????

Oatkeeper
07-06-2010, 09:57 PM
smoke bombs? You never even needed them cuase guards in AC2 where so easy to run from that not even hiding hiding was ever even necessary.

Smoke bombs are awesome and all, but Guards need to actually be able to catch you for them to be usefull in the first first place (and they also need to pose a threat to merit running from). in AC1 I remember actually hiding because those guards where tenacious when chasing and all over the place, hence the stealth element. In AC2, all you had to do was climb a building.

It all comes down to if guards in AC:B pose any legitimate threat (at least enough of one to merit running from occasionally and sometimes kill you). Then They also need to be able to catch you if you do run. Then throw in some guards that might find you in cover (so you can stealth kill them) and the combat in AC2 would be perfect.

If this more action-ish battle system can do that, then who cares how fast you can kill guards as long as they pose a threat.

John21172117
07-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Oatkeeper:
smoke bombs? You never even needed them cuase guards in AC2 where so easy to run from that not even hiding hiding was ever even necessary.

Smoke bombs are awesome and all, but Guards need to actually be able to catch you for them to be usefull in the first first place (and they also need to pose a threat to merit running from). in AC1 I remember actually hiding because those guards where tenacious when chasing and all over the place, hence the stealth element. In AC2, all you had to do was climb a building.

It all comes down to if guards in AC:B pose any legitimate threat (at least enough of one to merit running from occasionally and sometimes kill you). Then They also need to be able to catch you if you do run. Then throw in some guards that might find you in cover (so you can stealth kill them) and the combat in AC2 would be perfect.

If this more action-ish battle system can do that, then who cares how fast you can kill guards as long as they pose a threat.
HaHA the only actual use I gave to the smokebombs in AC:2 was to get the "No Hitter" achivement/trophy since it makes it easier.

Also, I trust Ubisoft won't ruin AC:B. Sure some of it's new gameplay is weird and some of the enemies look too weak (from what i saw in the single player) and you seem too overpowered. I was ROFLMFAO when I saw Ezio throw the axe at one of the soldiers. Even if you do seem overpowered I believe this game will be as good as it's predecesors.

Razrback16
07-07-2010, 11:41 AM
So you have this super move that lets you insta-slay half the guards in almost any given fight. Should or should not this move have a drawback of some sort? Because if it had a drawback, say, a long charging period where a player is susceptible to counterattack, then it will force the player to strategize and time his moves accordingly, which adds depth and excitement to the gameplay.

Let's not be silly here -- all you have to do is counter-attack the entire game if you want, so it is by no means a challenging game from the fighting standpoint.

As far as the flying knives and other special moves, the long charging period IS the drawback -- but it makes absolutely zero sense to have your master assassin character not be smart enough to decide blocking someone trying to stab him is more important than finishing the move. So far this is why I pretty much don't use the flying knives move -- you're virtually guaranteed to get hit unless you're lucky enough to have all the enemies just stand there for 3-5 seconds (happens maybe 1% of the time). So I opt-out of those types moves, same thing for the large weapons with the "wind-up" move and the spears with the sweeping move. You're so unrealistically vulnerable because your guy isn't allowed to block or dodge or quick step or anything to avoid getting hit. It really takes away from the gameplay. I like doing a lot of different moves in battles because they're fun, but I tend to shy away from the moves that are virtually guaranteed to get your player to take damage -- my entire argument here is simply that all these special moves are awesome, and it's good to have drawbacks, but when the moves are virtually impossible to do without getting blasted by your opponent, it's pointless to have them in there.

Also smoke bombs have their own disadvantage: limited ammo. You can only carry three, and the effects are only temporary. Now if UBI did what you wanted and made flying knives move uninterruptable, then they'd have to do something else to nerf the move, like decrease the damage or ammo count.

You only need 1 smoke bomb per fight. I tend to use them only when I'm completely surrounded and the surrounding posse includes 3 or more brutes. Then it's a good idea to toss one and use your hidden blade to take out some of the heavier guys to make the fight more manageable. You can easily re-supply smoke bombs next time you walk past a blacksmith shop or loot the brutes -- they carry smoke bombs and medicine a LOT.

As far as decreasing the damage of something like flying knives, I'd actually be in favor of that. You can't kill a single enemy with a single knife anyway except the weaker ones, like the agile guards, so it doesn't make sense that with flying knives all of a sudden one knife will kill them -- I'd be all in favor of limited damage.

Bottom line I really enjoy all the moves, weapons, animations, etc. that Ubi put into the game, they're a LOT of fun, but make it possible to block and avoid getting whacked in all circumstances -- that still requires skill to know how to do these, and execute with limited response time.

Murcuseo
07-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Marius_Darkwolf:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robson19822009:

True, but the same was true with AC2's combat style, the only one saying anything about was the people that didn't like it. Now that we're seeing a new combat style, the people that don't like it are complaining. Ubi's shown they listen when enough people say something, so those of us that are complaining will hopefully see something done </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ironic thing is people are complaining about it before they've even tried it, just doesn't make sense to me lol

It's like when people get old they say 'Things were much better in my day' which just ain't true... they're different not better. Change scares folk, which is understandable and their reaction is to dismiss and attack anything new... I say quit moaning and wait. Reserve judgement until you've actually tried it!

PlagueDoctor357
07-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Maybe it is a bit of a change thing but in the end it just looks to fast and cheesy.

I mean, I hope they fix the animations because they suck, on a game that has amazing animations with the character.

I mean, im probably one of the biggest fans with posters on my wall and figurines and all like a huge dork.

Im sure he can murder no problemo being a master assassin.

But it just looks BAD when you watch it. Like not a human moving at all.

They need to tighten it up because it isn't up to par with the rest of the games.

amugae
07-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Razrback16:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amugae:

Let's not be silly here -- all you have to do is counter-attack the entire game if you want, so it is by no means a challenging game from the fighting standpoint.

As far as the flying knives and other special moves, the long charging period IS the drawback -- but it makes absolutely zero sense to have your master assassin character not be smart enough to decide blocking someone trying to stab him is more important than finishing the move. So far this is why I pretty much don't use the flying knives move -- you're virtually guaranteed to get hit unless you're lucky enough to have all the enemies just stand there for 3-5 seconds (happens maybe 1% of the time). So I opt-out of those types moves, same thing for the large weapons with the "wind-up" move and the spears with the sweeping move. You're so unrealistically vulnerable because your guy isn't allowed to block or dodge or quick step or anything to avoid getting hit. It really takes away from the gameplay. I like doing a lot of different moves in battles because they're fun, but I tend to shy away from the moves that are virtually guaranteed to get your player to take damage -- my entire argument here is simply that all these special moves are awesome, and it's good to have drawbacks, but when the moves are virtually impossible to do without getting blasted by your opponent, it's pointless to have them in there.

You only need 1 smoke bomb per fight. I tend to use them only when I'm completely surrounded and the surrounding posse includes 3 or more brutes. Then it's a good idea to toss one and use your hidden blade to take out some of the heavier guys to make the fight more manageable. You can easily re-supply smoke bombs next time you walk past a blacksmith shop or loot the brutes -- they carry smoke bombs and medicine a LOT.

As far as decreasing the damage of something like flying knives, I'd actually be in favor of that. You can't kill a single enemy with a single knife anyway except the weaker ones, like the agile guards, so it doesn't make sense that with flying knives all of a sudden one knife will kill them -- I'd be all in favor of limited damage.

Bottom line I really enjoy all the moves, weapons, animations, etc. that Ubi put into the game, they're a LOT of fun, but make it possible to block and avoid getting whacked in all circumstances -- that still requires skill to know how to do these, and execute with limited response time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the power moves are that near impossible to pull off, then yea I guess your suggestion could work. I had a hard time understanding your argument because I didn't have as much trouble pulling off those power moves. I'd get interrupted every now and then, of course, but it wasn't nothing unmanageable. Matter of timing maybe. -shrug-

I do agree that combat AC2 was way easy to begin with. It's good to see that AC:B is on its way to addressing that problem.

EzioAssassin51
07-07-2010, 08:22 PM
But it just looks BAD when you watch it. Like not a human moving at all.

They need to tighten it up because it isn't up to par with the rest of the games.

You guys need to remember that this demo is being shown SIX MONTHS before release! This is only to show you what it is going to look like! This isn't the final version yet! They are going to fix it up to make it look more natural, you just need to remember that there is another 5 months now before the game comes out and no doubt they will be improving the look of the fighting~

Fairus60
07-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Lets wait for Gamescom or TGS. It will be fixed by then. its usually in those 2 that they finally begin giving true glimpses of the final game. If its the same by then, we are ****ed. But Ubi knows what it is doing. At least, I hope so.

Razrback16
07-08-2010, 05:18 AM
If the power moves are that near impossible to pull off, then yea I guess your suggestion could work. I had a hard time understanding your argument because I didn't have as much trouble pulling off those power moves. I'd get interrupted every now and then, of course, but it wasn't nothing unmanageable. Matter of timing maybe. -shrug-

I do agree that combat AC2 was way easy to begin with. It's good to see that AC:B is on its way to addressing that problem.

The thing I miss the most though from AC1 that someone else mentioned, was I loved fighting with the short blade and being able to put a little distance between myself and the enemies and be able to throw knives without having to switch weapons. That was awesome. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Hope they bring that back.