PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Mk III vs. Me-109G10

FinnBird
12-27-2005, 01:25 PM
I practised a little bit with the Mustang Mk III and had a fight with AI ace at 10 km altitude. he was flying the Me-109 G10.

First, I'd like to ask some advice to the settings, I used 90% prop pitch, mixture or supercharger seemed to be unadjustable...or?
I had to keep the radiator 2 or 4 open to avoid constant overheats.

I had difficulties reaching more than 530km/h in level flight or very shallow climb with 50% fuel. at 10 000 - 11 000 meters, that is. Should I get better results and how?

Other surprising thing was the climbing ability of the ME-109 over 9000m. The Ai pilot made the usual upside down - dive - pull up manouvers. He was outrunning me climbing - even when I had a slight altitude advantage. I was doing decent 630kmh+ and he just pulled slightly up in front of me - leaving me behind. hmmm. I only caight him in a continuous shallow climb turn over 10 000 meters.

Any advice? I thought I should be slightly faster up there, what am I missing?

Anyways, a good practise, I killed him while we did a long shallow dive - I was going 830 when I opened fire last time 8 (about 7500 meters alt.)! The plane shaked like h*ll!

I'm starting to like those high altitude fights, even if they're longer and contain less "action".

FinnBird
12-27-2005, 01:25 PM
I practised a little bit with the Mustang Mk III and had a fight with AI ace at 10 km altitude. he was flying the Me-109 G10.

First, I'd like to ask some advice to the settings, I used 90% prop pitch, mixture or supercharger seemed to be unadjustable...or?
I had to keep the radiator 2 or 4 open to avoid constant overheats.

I had difficulties reaching more than 530km/h in level flight or very shallow climb with 50% fuel. at 10 000 - 11 000 meters, that is. Should I get better results and how?

Other surprising thing was the climbing ability of the ME-109 over 9000m. The Ai pilot made the usual upside down - dive - pull up manouvers. He was outrunning me climbing - even when I had a slight altitude advantage. I was doing decent 630kmh+ and he just pulled slightly up in front of me - leaving me behind. hmmm. I only caight him in a continuous shallow climb turn over 10 000 meters.

Any advice? I thought I should be slightly faster up there, what am I missing?

Anyways, a good practise, I killed him while we did a long shallow dive - I was going 830 when I opened fire last time 8 (about 7500 meters alt.)! The plane shaked like h*ll!

I'm starting to like those high altitude fights, even if they're longer and contain less "action".

mynameisroland
12-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Bf 109 G10 is a very good fighter, unless you are able to bring extra speed or altitude in to the engagement he will make it very tough for you. Mustang is better at high speeds but if a Bf 109 G10 is on your 6 all you can do is run because he will not be shaken easily. One on one the Bf 109 holds the advantage because it will outmanuver you. What I would have done is zoom climb with the Mustang from the beginning so you are above the Bf 109 when you merge you can then start the fight at an advantage.

Vipez-
12-27-2005, 01:50 PM
You should try P51D in those heights, Mustang MK III was made to be fast on sealevel, not at 10000 meters..

lrrp22
12-27-2005, 02:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vipez-:
You should try P51D in those heights, Mustang MK III was made to be fast on sealevel, not at 10000 meters.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's still a bit faster thant the P-51D at high altitude. The increased boost below 24,000 ft didn't reduce any of its power or performance above that height.

The best bet at those altitudes should be the P-51C with the V-1650-3 engine. It should be 10-15 mph faster than the P-51D and mk III and 30+ mph faster than the G-10 around 10,000 meters.

LRRP