PDA

View Full Version : To much to ask?...inappropriate ?

JG6_Oddball
10-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Maybe the windows are closed to tight and there is a lack of oxygen in here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif but i was looking at the "goodbye stan" post and thought.... I wonder if oleg would mind including a virtual cemetary with ALL the pilots names from all nation's who served in ww2..I think WE would have todo all the research and it would a MASSIVE undertaking but for me would add a certain ...depth to the game and a constant tribute to the real flyers who gave all for there country.

like i said maybe its to much to ask and/or inappropriate.

S!

BrotherVoodoo
10-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Great sentiment IMO.

heywooood
10-04-2007, 10:21 PM
a nice sentiment - but maybe too somber...

My dad is interred at Ft. Rosecrans...so many crosses and markers all in one place.

I haven't been there on Memorial day in many years - they have a fine ceremony and lots of families come to pay their homage and respect to their loved ones...but its too much for me all at once.

I try to go on PopS b-day...or just randomly.

leitmotiv
10-04-2007, 10:55 PM
This, without a doubt is NOT an official website of any air force, nor a veterans' organization. Thus, memorializing is not its business. This place is like The Three Stooges on PCP---is this a fitting place for a memorial?!!!! Obviously not. High seriousness is for sites with serious intent.

Monty_Thrud
10-05-2007, 02:20 AM
Now i know were you get yer name from.

MEGILE
10-05-2007, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
This, without a doubt is NOT an official website of any air force, nor a veterans' organization. Thus, memorializing is not its business. This place is like The Three Stooges on PCP---is this a fitting place for a memorial?!!!! Obviously not. High seriousness is for sites with serious intent.

Perhaps he meant in the game, not on the forum.

Bearcat99
10-05-2007, 06:42 AM
Though a noble sentiment IMO this would be inappropriate in the sim or on the forum. If you feel thatway Odball wehy not just create a website and do it on your own with help from willing community members? There are several free webhosting sites out there that would have more than enough space available for such an undertaking.

Pirschjaeger
10-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Not too much to ask and neither is it inappropriate. However, people don't play this sim to remember those who sacrificed themselves for family and country. They play for glory and really cool rides. Besides, whose rig could handle hundreds of thousands of crosses with names?

Your basic idea is not bad at all. Combine your idea with BC's post and you'd have links to memorial sites included in the game. I think after people have played for sometime, they start to think about the reality of WW2. This forum and your idea are proof of that.

What do you think? Links to memorial sites (on all sides) on the first screen when you open the game.

Fritz

LEBillfish
10-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by JG6_Oddball:
....I wonder if oleg would mind including a virtual cemetary with ALL the pilots names from all nation's who served in ww2..S!

Nice thought, and I would find it VERY interesting......Yet sadly many many pilots from many nations simply have had their names lost to history.

U.S., British, and a few others may be complete, yet what of Japan, SOviet Union, Poland, Java Dutch, etc., who quite often had records destroyed, names deeds and events lost....To find it all might very well be impossible, or at the VERY least quite difficult.

Sadly then those who have names missing would feel slighted, and more so, even if they were readily available who would compile them all (besides the investigation it would take)...In the end Maddox Games is a game designer basing their work on history, not recounting it..

So, though I'd personally love to see it, I cannot imagine it happening.........Perhaps just a simple dedication like "Dedicated to all the men and women who took to the air, and those who supported them during our worlds most trying of days".

Perhaps the best one could realistically hope for.

rnzoli
10-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by JG6_Oddball:
like i said maybe its to much to ask and/or inappropriate.

With my party hat on, I like the idea, I would like it implemented in such way that when we press the Refly, we have to scroll through that big list before spawning. Soon enough, the removal of this list would be the next goal of the hackers... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

From a serious perspective, I think this is inappropriate. These warbirds were killing machines, and among those perished, were surely a few who strafed civilians, parachutes, bombed cities etc. I don't think risking a lawsuit from the Dresden Survivor society would be a good idea. We can still privately idolize those few people we know more about, and leave grandiose lists to less controvertial topics.

buzzsaw1939
10-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Let's not bring the honored dead into our fantasy world please! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

bigbossmalone
10-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Not all that appropriate, in my book.
A good sentiment, but I think those whose names would be on the list deserve, at least, their very own, dedicated website. Links to it from here would suffice.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

B16Enk
10-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Though a noble sentiment IMO this would be inappropriate in the sim or on the forum. If you feel thatway Odball wehy not just create a website and do it on your own with help from willing community members? There are several free webhosting sites out there that would have more than enough space available for such an undertaking.

Or there is http://honorourveterans.com, created specifically for this purpose by my wife and I.

It's not spectacular in popularity, indeed we are struggling to get more tributes there.

It is for all nations and service arms, many have visited the site but very few have left comment, and a rarity is when someone asks for a tribute to someone who has passed, or indeed is still alive and/or serving.

But the notion of the 'game' or future variants paying homage, and acknowledging the truth of armed conflict by including links is a good idea.

Lest we consider the 'game' to be glorifying war.

Originally posted by bigbossmalone:
A good sentiment, but I think those whose names would be on the list deserve, at least, their very own, dedicated website. Links to it from here would suffice.

I agree, my sig and that of Quazi's both carry a link.

We bear the cost of our site ourselves, and seeking nothing more than for Them to be remembered. And I feel no guilt plugging the site.

If any one would like to help contribute it will be gratefully accepted, PM or sign up at Honor Our Veterans.

Rjel
10-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I doubt you could even get every U.S. pilot's name, much less some of the countries nearly destroyed during the war. Weren't a large number of U.S. WWII era veterans records lost in a huge fire in the late 60s or early 70s? Even with personal recollections it would be difficult to account for every single one. And what about crew? That would make the task many times more difficult. Nice thought though.

JG6_Oddball
10-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by B16Enk:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:

Or there is http://honorourveterans.com, created specifically for this purpose by my wife and I.

It's not spectacular in popularity, indeed we are struggling to get more tributes there.

It is for all nations and service arms, many have visited the site but very few have left comment, and a rarity is when someone asks for a tribute to someone who has passed, or indeed is still alive and/or serving.

But the notion of the 'game' or future variants paying homage, and acknowledging the truth of armed conflict by including links is a good idea.

Lest we consider the 'game' to be glorifying war.

Originally posted by bigbossmalone:

I agree, my sig and that of Quazi's both carry a link.

We bear the cost of our site ourselves, and seeking nothing more than for Them to be remembered. And I feel no guilt plugging the site.

If any one would like to help contribute it will be gratefully accepted, PM or sign up at Honor Our Veterans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

S! B16enk I saw a couple of sites but none like your's , I will contribute, please let me know if there is any other way I can help you as well .
RJEL I am aware of what a MASSIVE undertaking it would be... I cringe at even doing an outline of what would be needed.

thnx

S!

p.s anyone who speaks german plz tell me what this site is http://www.fliegergemeinschaft.de/ I see a 109 and a jet of some kind

Pirschjaeger
10-06-2007, 02:56 AM
Look just to the left of the lower jet. It's English.

Fritz