PDA

View Full Version : Would the I-185 be balanced in this scenario?

Achilles97
01-11-2010, 01:16 PM
4.09b
Low altitude dogfights.
Free for all or 3 vs 3

Other available planes:
bf109G2 through K4
Yak3P
Yak9U
P39Q10
P63
LA5FN
Ki84a
MC205 VIII
Spitfire VIII

We are trying to decide if we should add the I-185 to the server. Some feel that the M71 is a bit overpowered so only the M82 should be allowed. How would each of the 185 versions fair in the above described environment?

Thanks!

X32Wright
01-11-2010, 01:21 PM
The I185 M-71 isnt a MIRACLE plane it can be killed and specially when the pilot is blocking out on a high speed g manuever. The G2 can handle it if the 109 pilot climbs and dive more than it turns. This goes the same for the La5FN. I however would add the Spit VIII (CW) for balance.

Ba5tard5word
01-11-2010, 01:23 PM
The high-speed 185 isn't that different than an La-5FN, I think their top speeds are about the same, like 580kph at sea level.

VW-IceFire
01-11-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't think it'll be a big problem here. The others types are faster or have better firepower or climb quicker or whatever. It isn't a super plane... but it is one in 1942.

Bremspropeller
01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
The I-185 is almost as balanced as the Lerche.

ElAurens
01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Come on Brems, there is nothing at all special about the I-185.

Yes, it was a Prototype, but it did fly, unlike the Lerche, which was just a pipedream.

I'll never understand the angst over the 185, it's just another airplane, it has strong points, and weaknesses, just like any other aircraft you meet in the virtual sky.

If you fly against it's strengths, you lose, if you leverage it's weaknesses, you win.

JG52Karaya-X
01-11-2010, 06:05 PM
An easy solution:

Get rid of the M-71 version on your server - that one's the clown wagon!

The M-82 powered version is just a La-5 wannabe and nothing special

Daiichidoku
01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
If you fly against it's strengths, you lose, if you leverage it's weaknesses, you win.

you mean it's "uncomfortable throttle lever"?

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Hawgdog
01-12-2010, 05:49 AM
3 stage super charger, cannon, its an outstanding high alt plane.
otherwise, fly it like a 190, come in fast, slash, shallow climb escape. it turns fine, but its a better high alt plane.
I dont get the anger over it either, stupidity at its finest saying one plane shouldn't be in a game over another.

Achilles97
01-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Thank you for the replies. My buddy and I tested out the I-185 and we found that the M82 version is more than capable if flown right. He seemed to have a tough time hanging with me when I was in the M71 (he was in LA5F).

I think we'll add M82 to our server and see what people think.

Bremspropeller
01-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Yes, it was a Prototype, but it did fly, unlike the Lerche, which was just a pipedream.

That's why I said almost.

Dunno about you, but I'm pretty much against all those liquid-dream aircraft.
It's not what the average pilot had access to and thus shouldn't be run except on fun- or exotic servers.

It's kinda boring when anyone jumps into his favourite clownwagon, when available.
But maybe that's just me with my "get the mission done" rather than "let's ********" mindset.

ElAurens
01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Brems, we really are not that far apart. I always fly to achieve the mission objective. Most of my time online is spent in the tactical role, looking for stuff to blow up on the ground. After all, that's what wins wars. If I get a "kill" along the way fine, but I don't go out of my way for a "dogfight".

That said, one of the very strong points of the whole IL2 experience is learning about areas of the war that I was unfamiliar with, like the Eastern Front and it's many complexities. Being able to "fly" aircraft that I only vaguely knew about, if at all, is one of the treats of the sim for me.

Cheers.

Saburo_0
01-14-2010, 11:08 AM
I think the M-71 version is a better match for that plane set.Mostly 44-45 planes. In most ways the M-82 is close to the La5 and slower than the La5FN IIRC. It does have metal wings however.
Still it is not a super plane except for the mistaken idea that it was a 42 plane.
If the M-71 would have been reliable that version might have entered service in some numbers by say, Spring or summer of '43.?

Now the M-90 version might have competed with the late Yaks and Las.

Now the M-90 version would be hot for that time period.

Achilles97
01-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Well I added it to the server and we tried it out (it's a group of 8 friends who play on this server).

The I-185 M82 pilot was frustrated at the end of the 2-hour match. He felt that the plane needed a few minutes for it's engine to warm up to optimal temperature before it operated efficiently (I didn't know this was modeled in the game). He also felt that the plane "does not slow down fast enough", specifically pointing out examples of engagements between him and I (109G2) when I was able to reverse him: I dropped full flaps and gear at 300kmh to slow to 200ish and he flew right by me.

I know this issue is just piloting, but I thought I'd share the experience...

Thanks!

Bremspropeller
01-20-2010, 10:22 AM
That said, one of the very strong points of the whole IL2 experience is learning about areas of the war that I was unfamiliar with, like the Eastern Front and it's many complexities. Being able to "fly" aircraft that I only vaguely knew about, if at all, is one of the treats of the sim for me.

Same for me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
A ouple of years ago I wouldn't have even dreamt about looking forward to a Hs 129 - but as it turns out, flying air-to-ground has become ever-more satisfying to me.

It kinda feels right - you know, actually having a job and supporting someone (even if it's just some non-existant group of infantrymen), instead of being a score-*****.

Jumoschwanz
01-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Achilles97:
4.09b
Low altitude dogfights.
Free for all or 3 vs 3

Other available planes:
bf109G2 through K4
Yak3P
Yak9U
P39Q10
P63
LA5FN
Ki84a
MC205 VIII
Spitfire VIII

We are trying to decide if we should add the I-185 to the server. Some feel that the M71 is a bit overpowered so only the M82 should be allowed. How would each of the 185 versions fair in the above described environment?

Thanks!

So, you are afraid of FW190s then?

Achilles97
01-25-2010, 10:21 AM
The FW190s are on the server but I didn't list them because no one flies them.

SeaFireLIV
01-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Achilles97:
4.09b
Low altitude dogfights.
Free for all or 3 vs 3

Other available planes:
bf109G2 through K4
Yak3P
Yak9U
P39Q10
P63
LA5FN
Ki84a
MC205 VIII
Spitfire VIII

Thanks!

`Balanced` is really the wrong term when used in a flight sim. It`s a very arcady game term.

There really is no such thing when dealing with realism as in a flight sim that emulates real life WW2 flying. In world war two aerial warfare it was very rare that you had `balance`. The I-185 is no big deal. Stick it in with the others it`ll be shot down as much.

It`s about teamwork and pilot skill, not `balance`.

OK, leave out the jets like the ME262, but that`s all.

Frankthetank36
01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
The I-185 was just a prototype. If it is included, make sure that there are also Do-335s and stuff. I don't know why servers match these things up with Spits and 109s and planes that actually saw action.

Ba5tard5word
01-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Well using the M-71 against any Bf-109 would be rather akin to the real-life matchups of stuff like Bf-109's against I-16's and LaGG-3's or whatever...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The I-185 M82 pilot was frustrated at the end of the 2-hour match. He felt that the plane needed a few minutes for it's engine to warm up to optimal temperature before it operated efficiently (I didn't know this was modeled in the game).

This isn't modeled in the non-modded game as far as I know, engine management overall in Il-2 is pretty simplistic and you can just rev to max throttle and take off from the runway immediately after you get put into the pit.

There's a mod where you have to warm up your engine for a while before taking off but I haven't tried it yet, and I believe it affects all planes.

He also felt that the plane "does not slow down fast enough", specifically pointing out examples of engagements between him and I (109G2) when I was able to reverse him: I dropped full flaps and gear at 300kmh to slow to 200ish and he flew right by me.

XD

Yeah the 185 is a bit of a rocket. Training in an Fw-190 might be good for him though the 190 bleeds speed quickly.