PDA

View Full Version : Weather?

Tetsou88
10-22-2009, 09:47 AM
After searching Google and the forums for the last couple minutes, I couldn't find any word on whether or not AC2 will feature dynamic weather.

I know it will feature a Day/Night cycle, but what about Weather? And Seasons?(Since the game is taking place over several years)

Cjail
10-22-2009, 10:40 AM
You are right!
I also have never heard anything about weather changes in any of the many interviews/videos; they just speak about the day/night circle!

Can you tell us more Ubisoft?

Atmon
10-22-2009, 11:04 AM
We have talked about on some interviews, and there won't be dynamic weather, mainly meaning no rain in the game.

Still we have dynamic skies, so expect all kind of variations.

Tetsou88
10-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Atmon:
We have talked about on some interviews, and there won't be dynamic weather, mainly meaning no rain in the game.

No dynamic weather is kinda dissapointing, although it wont stop me from buying the game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif ( The anticipation for this game has me feeling a little like a 12 year old waiting for christmas, even though I'm 20 going on 21)

What about seasons?
Now I'm not talking about seasons as in snow fall and such(mostly because it doesn't snow in Tuscany(atleast not that I know of anyways)). But subtle changes that let you know time is passing.

Such as more flowers and a greener environment in spring, a rustic color on the trees during fall and winter, and come Summer heat hazes and the sound of crickets.

By the way, I loved how in AC1 you'd be running along a rooftop and be momentarily shadowed by a cloud.

Cjail
10-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Probably is more difficult than we imagine to recreate weather changes in a game.

com199
10-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Cjail:
Probably is more difficult than we imagine to recreate weather changes in a game.

Yep it is. I've designed some extremely small games for my college classes, and you needed like 3 pages of script just to make a shadow.

NuclearFuss
10-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I think it would be funny if when Ezio started out as assassin he slipped on a wet rooftop and then died and big letters read "EPIC FAIL", because I hope Ezio will be a little clumsy at the beginning without being trained and what not. But without rain my dreams have been crushed. Still looking forward to it though.

Ezio_475
10-22-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm actually glad weather effects aren't in the game, i just don't like the rain and the snow, it just gets in your way.

Ilovepho
10-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Tetsou88:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Atmon:

No dynamic weather is kinda dissapointing, although it wont stop me from buying the game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif ( The anticipation for this game has me feeling a little like a 12 year old waiting for christmas, even though I'm 20 going on 21)

What about seasons?
Now I'm not talking about seasons as in snow fall and such(mostly because it doesn't snow in Tuscany(atleast not that I know of anyways)). But subtle changes that let you know time is passing.

Such as more flowers and a greener environment in spring, a rustic color on the trees during fall and winter, and come Summer heat hazes and the sound of crickets.
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also find the lack of dynamic weather disappointing too. Another game made by Ubi, Far Cry 2 had it, so why doesn't ACII have it ? I want to know the reason.

The season changes would be very cool but I think we have to wait until ACIII to have that feature.

X10J
10-22-2009, 04:26 PM
i think they were going to do it but then realized that the amount of awesome in the game would be unsave for the general public

thekyle0
10-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by X10J:
i think they were going to do it but then realized that the amount of awesome in the game would be unsave for the general public They're already pushing boundaries as it is.

X10J
10-22-2009, 05:17 PM
i know if they pushed any more they might push to they other side and that could be dangerous http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SWJS
10-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah, if Ubisoft added dynamic weather, they'd be crossing the streams, and that would be bad.

X10J
10-22-2009, 07:07 PM
yup

Cjail
10-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Naught Dog (a team of 85 people) managed to make an incredible weather system for Uncharted 2 but Ubisoft Montreal (a 500 people staff) didn't: why?
Keeping in mind that is very complicate to make a good weather system I can only say that this is a matter of choice and not of skills!
I am sure that AC2 won't suffer from this lack; nevertheless I must admit that having seasons (considered that the story will unfold over a period of 40 years) would have been a touch of class.

PS
We have snow in Tuscany <span class="ev_code_RED">Tetsou88 </span>; we are not the Sahara!

phimo123-FR
10-23-2009, 09:01 AM
I think it is more simple then that... How could Ezio have grip on building and rooftops if there was rain? Maybe in ACIII if Desmond become a real assassin too. Jumping from rooftop to rooftop, in Montreal, in the wet snow... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

the amolang
10-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by sackboy411:
I hope Ezio will be a little clumsy at the beginning without being trained and what not.
ubisoft have said that Ezio will be a bit clumsy at the beginning of the game when he learns how to free run, but gets better over time. or at least he will be clumsy during the tutorial...

Tetsou88
10-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Cjail:
Naught Dog (a team of 85 people) managed to make an incredible weather system for Uncharted 2 but Ubisoft Montreal (a 500 people staff) didn't: why?
Keeping in mind that is very complicate to make a good weather system I can only say that this is a matter of choice and not of skills!
I am sure that AC2 won't suffer from this lack; nevertheless I must admit that having seasons (considered that the story will unfold over a period of 40 years) would have been a touch of class.

Mind you Uncharted 2's Weather is easier because its scripted. Where as AC2 it would be random, which isn't that hard either, GTA has had it since GTA3.
I don't necessarily think it was a "we can't" make weather for AC2, I think it was more of a "What good will adding weather do". I for one love when a game has a rainy or thunderstormy(which isn't even a word :P) weather to fit the mood.
I love rainy days in GTA4.

As for adding seasons the hardest part would just to be making multiple models of every object to fit the fact that the season changed. Then have a code that switches the models depending on the season it is.

Snow would be cool, but I could see where it could cause problems, especially with the fact you can swim now.

PS
We have snow in Tuscany <span class="ev_code_RED">Tetsou88 </span>; we are not the Sahara!

I wasn't sure of this, I googled it to check and only found articles on a rare occurrence of snow not that long ago.

I was mostly basing my statement off Rome:Total War, where it would go into winter every other turn, and Italy for the most part wouldn't get snow.

Blood-drop
10-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I've seen the new developer diary and that show him fighting some pepole on a Wet surface

Sparta955
10-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah I believe that thats in Forli, located in the Wetlands,where its probably going to have either default rainy weather or just on and off scripted rain.

Who knows.

craxe
10-24-2009, 12:57 PM
i like the idea that the time of day in the game changes with the time of day in real life(like in Burnout: Paradise City), except in certain missions (ie. night assassination, flying, etc.)