PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat bites

KIMURA
10-17-2006, 03:06 AM
Due to the fact that my squad is more related to ETO I wrote a ?how to do? with the Wildcat because some squad mates had much trouble handling that fighter versus the A6M2. My experience is related only to online flying. So things that work versus human pilots may not work well against the AI.
This guide is rather meant for the pilot?s tactical behaviour with the Wildcat than meant as an idiot guide which answering questions which crank I handle when. My intention is that on servers like Zero vs. Wildcat, Wildcats sure can score kills versus the Zero but don?t know how to bring their kills safely home.

Choose F3F-3 or F4F-3
Weaponery
The -3 is fitted with 4x0.5? with 500 rounds per gun and a span of 30 seconds of firing time.
The ?4 offers you a increase of fire power by about 150% but with much reduce firing time of about 50-60% compared to the -3. So if you are an average marksman like me with below 10% of hit ratio I suggest to take the -3, because the -3 offers more shooting time. If you?re an excellent marksman with proper deflection shooting ability I would suggest to take the -4. Hit hard and run.

combat:
do not power fights against the Zero at low speed segment. You will even loose versus an average flown Zero. Best avoid any close dogfights. Use hit and run tactics, NO turning. If you marked a A6M2 and hit in the wnig tanks and your opponent is losing fuel then no further fight is necessary*. There?s only few minutes left to him for flying/fighting until his tanks are desert dry. But take care of such hit Zeros, some will become very aggressive because they know their fate of running empty.
*you can do so if no other Wildcat is around to steal your kill.

Defensive:
With a Zero at your six there are only few options left, but there are some. Keep in mind the Wildcat (I know the -3 better) is marginal faster that the A6M2. My impression is the lower the altitude the better for the Wildcat. At altitudes above 2nd blower both a/c seems equal in speed (to me). If you got a Zero at you six, above 2nd blower stage, carefully watch it. Often the Zero can get decrease distance. Don?t turn for any reason. In case the Zero came too close to be comfortable you can simply dive away with slightly negative G.
Why neg G? Because aiming becomes near impossible for the pursuer in your neck.
The other option to the simple dive is trying to turn the tide with downwards barrel roles. Do downward barrel roles with opened cockpit and raised seat for better view at your 6. If the Zero will follow you into the barrel roles you are on the better end because the Zero will lose that due to have the lower roll rate. The Zero has to break the attack ? often leaving the Zero pilot far from optimal condition for further fight because of disorientation lack on altitude or what else. Within that time frame you have the chance to turn the fight to your advantage. If missed that point then better break and search for speed.

Beside the barrel role there?s a 2nd maneuver the A6M2 can?t really follow you. The high speed Chandelle. In that maneuver you have to stay above 230mph to out climb the Zero. Don?t lose your head if the Zero is shooting after you. If the distance is large enough he?ll miss you and the bullets pass you outside the slightly flown circle. You have to bring some passion with you to do that maneuver. After some minutes you gained enough altitude and distance advantage to try for an attack by yourself.

In case you lost anything and a Zero or 2 or 3 are chasing you down to SL: close sliding canopy, trim the Cat neutral and fly the slightest possible curve toward your carrier. If necessary mirror that curve to stay on course toward your carrier. NEVER try to turn or fly turns or things like that. The slight curve is simply to complicate deflection shooting for the Zeros. The only option you got now is speed.

Tater-SW-
10-17-2006, 08:10 AM
The real F4F-3 had over 30 seconds firing time. If it's 18 seconds in game, the F4F-3 is seriously FUBAR (it's a Grumman, so getting the short end wouldn't surprise me). The drop in firing time with the F4F-4 was the principal reason pilots hated it (note that the 4 gun arrangement was brought back with the Eastern built FM-2). The 6 guns version was added at the request of the FAA, actually.

tater

GerritJ9
10-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Another reason to give the F4F-3 the nod over the -4 is that the -3 doesn't have folding wings and is therefore somewhat lighter, giving it a better climb rate; it also turns a bit better than the -4.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

The KNIL is dead. Long live the KNIL!

JG53Frankyboy
10-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
The real F4F-3 had over 30 seconds firing time. If it's 18 seconds in game, the F4F-3 is seriously FUBAR (it's a Grumman, so getting the short end wouldn't surprise me). The drop in firing time with the F4F-4 was the principal reason pilots hated it (note that the 4 gun arrangement was brought back with the Eastern built FM-2). The 6 guns version was added at the request of the FAA, actually.

tater

this shows how it is made in game:
http://www.partizanska-eskadrila.com/reference/Wildcat.html

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tater-SW-
10-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Should be 450 RPG on the -3 if I recall correctly.

tater

JG53Frankyboy
10-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Should be 450 RPG on the -3 if I recall correctly.

tater

be happy that they have this 430 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

because in PF 3.0 (release version) the -3 had the same ammoload as the -4 , 240 rpg !
i used Squadron/signal Vol.191 "F4F Wildcat" for the Bugreport to Maddox games.

blindpugh
10-17-2006, 12:38 PM

tater you guys should look at p40 also according to p40museum in america should have top speed 365 mph @5000 ft model p40m

KIMURA
10-17-2006, 02:09 PM
I corrected the firing time<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/a-z/kimura-hei/Ki1.jpg

VW-IceFire
10-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Well done Kimura. An excellent guide to flying the Wildcat. Nice to know at least a few people are students of air combat manuevering.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/icefire-tempestv.jpg
Find my missions at Flying Legends (http://www.flying-legends.net/php/downloads/downloads.php?cat_id=19) and Mission4Today.com (http://www.mission4today.com).

Schmouddle-WT
10-18-2006, 07:58 AM
I just add my 2c

I use Wildcat as a hammer - hit and swing up again. It keeps energy quite well so with 150-200mph advantage you have two or three "swings" before the energy is wasted.

I also paid attention to stall characterictics of Wildcat commencing a power stall - If I am the one highest guys in the area I only do power stalls to keep as much energy as possible. The stall itself could be controlled a bit, so after performing it few times one could point the nose roughly in direction he wants.

The evasive manuevers -
- high speed Split-S works fine for me.
- maneuver I called "brick" is form of Split-S, if engaged by Zero in mid altitude , I would sink into a negative G dive (same as Kimura does, cheers) and wait until the ground/sea gets close enough, then perform the rolling part of Split-S, pull up and head away in high speed. Zero, due to stiff ailerons and elevator (only in higher speeds!) could not follow me in such maneuver, so he either breaks off or crashes into the ground (guess whats better.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

(Brick is not my Wildcat here, but the Zero not being able to pull out of a dive)

Of course performing such maneuvers requires basic idea of handling the Wildcat and also great deal of situational awareness.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

---------------
"Do not assume. Assumption is a mother of all f*ck-ups" - The boss of bad guys in "Under Siege 2: Dark Territory"
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."- Gen. MacArthur
If you can't do something smart, do something right.- Jayne Cobb in "Serenity"